“Nothing startling but very convenient for Hydro!”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in November. We were attending a concert at the hydro and the hotel is in an excellent location for this, literally a minutes walk across a courtyard. The hotel itself is nice but is definitely in need of some modernisation and/or renovation in order to warrant the, at times, extortionate price tag. We stayed here using priority club points but the tariff quoted online when I booked was £189 per night. I certainly would have been very disappointed if I had paid that! The majority of the public areas of the hotel are ok. Quite pleasant to sit in with a drink. The restaurant was mixed. We had a terrible starter, very good main course and excellent breakfast! The room we were in was fine, a little tired, particularly in the bathroom but it was adequate and did the trick for the amount of time we were actually in it! I did, however, miss the crowne plaza sleep spray stuff they usually leave on the bed - didn't get it either night! Anyway, in short, yes I would stay here again but the price would have to be right! Glad to see from other reviews that a refurbishment might now be taking place!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul T
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am frustrated to hear that you had a mixed stay at the hotel and we did not meet your expectations. We aim to achieve the highest standards in all areas in order to ensure our guests enjoy their time with us. I am delighted to report that we are in the process of carrying out a major refurbishment of the public areas in the hotel, with some areas now complete and we are receiving some phenomenal feedback from guests. We are also in the planning stages of the next phase of refurbishment which will include our bedrooms. I am confident that on your next visit to the hotel you will witness the progress that has already been made.

We are currently awaiting stocks of our sleep kit and apologise that this was not available at the time of your stay. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your starter during your evening meal but delighted to learn that your main course and breakfast the next morning were to your complete satisfaction.

I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

It's a Crowne Plaza so I wasn't expecting too much apart from it was the worst CP I've stayed in. The bedroom windows didn't open, there was also a constant background rumble/noise from presumably the building ventilation system on the 16th floor. Housekeeping was a mixed affair with tea bags, biscuits, bottled water not being replaced. Even the water supply failed completely on one morning producing brown sludge when it eventually returned.The temperature in their new bar/restaurant area was too warm and music played at breakfast too loud and intrusive. But what really ruined our stay was the attitude of one female bar supervisor, a blonde haired lady who had an East European accent. Which was abrupt, monosyllabic, with poor eye contact and was generally rude and grumpy. Nothing we did or said changed her mood, she just seemed determined to make every transaction as difficult and as unpleasant as possible. She was totally unprofessional and a complete failure in delivering basic customer services. What confused us is how someone so bad can be in charge of such an important function as hotel bar service. It's a shame as some of the other staff tried hard to please, particularly the reception staff who were always cheerful and helpful. The hotel seemed to be void of a duty manager and perhaps he/she should step out of their office more often, take a look around and put some basic things right. I look forward to not having to return.

Room Tip: If you like fresh air I suggest you choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank pyrotech

Thank you for your review. I am thoroughly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the poor quality of service that you received at the bar area, I will ensure a full investigation takes place to ensure that all staff are able to give the highest possible standard of service at all times. I would be grateful if you would provide me with some specific details of the attitude displayed by this particular individual as this would most certainly assist with our investigations. (Please contact me on gm.cpglasgow@qmh-hotels.com).

In regards to the quality and issues you experienced in the room, unfortunately the design of the building does not allow windows to be opened. I would also like to apologise for the water supply problems, which was regrettably outwith our control and we made every effort to restore the water supply as quickly as possible. I was pleased however to learn that our reception team provided the level of customer service one would expect at the Crowne Plaza.

In relation to the non-replacement of tea and coffee making facilities I will ensure that housekeeping staff are replacing these on a daily basis and when requested by guests. I do hope that you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us again as we would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back again and provide the level of service required to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here during the current refurb. Yes there is general disruption and services were limited, however, the room was one of the best I have stayed in in Glasgow. The room was modern, clean and very well maintained. It also has some of the best parking in Glasgow. I would have no hesitation in returning and is equal to the Hilton and Marriott in the city centre.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank UkSil

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Nothing startling about this Crowne Plaza. Didn't get my free wi-fi in the room. A bit far for walking into town as loads of works are going on round about but taxis usually available at the door. Probably wouldn't rush back

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I apologise that you did not get your free wifi in your room as all of our IHG Rewards Club Guests are entitled to this. A quick call to reception would have quickly resolved this. Taxis are generally available at the front entrance to the hotel or, as an alternative means of transport into the city, trains run on a very regular basis from the Exhibition railway station just a short walk from the hotel.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Have just returned from a stay in Glasgow. I have been stayed in this hotel on many occasions over the last 20 years and I can see the hotel going down. I know they are spending a million pounds on refurbishment but many of the little things have been slowly taken away. I stayed in December and dined in the restaurant, the food was cold and many of the choices have gone. I thought I would give it another go this stay but again it was cold. We also had a trail of guests passing our table over the hour all trying to find there way to the dinner dance. I think on booking I should have been informed of the refurbishment then I could have made the decision on whether I still wanted to go. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us recently. The refurbishment which is currently taking place has unfortunately caused some disruption of our normal operations and regrettably this has included the temporary relocation of bar and function areas, I would like to apologise in particular for the movement of people disrupting your time in the restaurant. I am pleased to report that the new restaurant and Bar are already open and the feedback so far has been wonderful. I would also like to apologise for the choice and quality of food on offer, we insist on high standards at the hotel and rest assured that I will be undertaking a full investigation as to why these standards were not met on this occasion.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We booked a family room here as we wanted to visit the science museum. We were ideally located being just over the river clyde, and the room was quite spacious. Check in staff were really helpful. They asked if we’d like a high room, we said yes and they accomodated. View was fantastic. Whilst there we snacked on amazing chilli nachos. Breakfast went down a treat, with the children feasting on potato cakes. We’ll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: About a fiver in a taxi to get to the shops. High floors have excellent views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I will ensure that your praise of the check-in staff is passed on the team. We thoroughly look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here and overall I was very happy. The rooms are nice and the beds are really comfortable. There was some refurbishment work being carried out during my stay which didn't really affect me but some people seemed a bit put out by it. I had problems trying to print off my boarding pass and Jacque on reception (I think she was the Deputy Manager) was extremely helpful and sorted the problem out for me and was very efficient and professional.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Justina15

Thank you for your review. I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I will personally ensure that your complimentary comments are passed on to Jacque. The team here at Crowne Plaza Glasgow look forward to welcoming you back in the future.