“Ok - best I can muster!”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Brent Knoll, United Kingdom
“Ok - best I can muster!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

For a 'posh' hotel, the room just wasn't. The carpet was stained and dirty and the furniture was scuffed, scratched and sticky.
The gym and spa facilities are lovely though.
Food in the restaurant and bar is overpriced in my opinion.
Worst of all, the bar service is shocking, although reception service was excellent. Two extremes in one place!
Most importantly, the bed was super comfortable with plenty of plump pillows and cushions to get comfy during the evening.
Not premium, just OK!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank FloFlorenceFlo
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear about your stay and I apologise for the state of the room and the service at the bar and I will ensure that an investigation is carried out to ensure this does not occur again in the future. I am however gald that you found the bed and pillow very comfy. We would love to see you back at the hotel in the future to demonstrate how good we can be.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My 13 year old son and I enjoyed our 1 night stay at the plaza. We we're on the 12th floor overlooking looking the secc and the view was breathtaking day & night. We slept very well as the room was dark, thick blackout curtains & bed was comfy. Few scuff marks in room bur still very well presented and comfortable. Remember to take your trainers & swimsuit for a free work out & swim if you feel up to it, we did We didn't eat here as we spent the day at art gallery's, and for dinner we went the the Italians at the round house (2mins walk, felt safe at all times walking back to hotel) but did have a wine in the hotel and was slightly pricy at nearly £7. Sunday afternoon was a treat in the hotel as there was a jazz/blues/swing singer playing on a grand piano, think that was for Father's Day but it was such a treat My son loved the hotel too Thank you very much for an enjoyable stay xx

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Catherine A
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future for another great stay.

Camberley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. The hotel facilities were as expected for a hotel of this class. Whilst completely clean, the decor of the room looked a little tired (there were splash marks on the non-tiled areas of the bathroom that could have been removed). There was no information within the room regarding facilities or mealtimes. I was told that this was 'all on the TV'; however I was unable to establish where (and I am technically savvy with these things). The windows did not open and there was no aircon, so it did seem stuffy and warm (the weather got warmer whilst I was there).
The first night I opted to eat in the restaurant as the weather was appalling and I did not feel like driving further afield. I opted for the hot table option, which was was priced at around £23 (despite other notices around the hotel suggesting a price just under £20 - I did not see this until later). The starter I chose was described as a fillet of mackerel, but it turned out to be only about 1/3 of a fillet with a tiny salad garnish, but otherwise was acceptable. The hot buffet included a red mullet casserole; I was a bit concerned as to whether this would be overcooked, but it turned out to be very nice, with a self-served selection of vegetables. I chose the pancakes option for dessert, described as being served with Scottish raspberries, maple syrup and ice-cream. After a very long wait to be served with this, the dish arrived garnished with two tiny strawberries. I tried a mouthfull of the pancakes and it was obvious that they had been sat waiting for some considerable time. I sent the dish back and commented that it should have been served with raspberries (and certainly more than 2!). They replaced it with clearly freshly cooked pancakes and a modest but reasonable helping of raspberries. The ice cream was not notable in flavour. I was concerned that breakfast might be similarly afflicted, but I found this not to be the case. The buffet style was again of a similar standard to many large chain hotels. I ordered smoked haddock each morning and it was served perfectly cooked with poached eggs.
I had a room on the 14th floor and had wonderful views (thankfully the weather improved). I chose not to eat in for the following nights, which proved a good move when I returned to find all the guests outside due to a fire alarm having gone off.
The staff were all very pleasant. The service at the desk at check in was a little slow (but it is a very big hotel), but I did not consider it value for money when compared to other places, particularly when there is a £6 per night charge for parking on top

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors fro panoramic views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am disappointed to read that overall you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel, in particular I apologise for your poor experience in the restaurant, as this is an area in which we take great pride. I also apologise for the lack of information regarding the hotels facilities, we will be looking at ways we can improve this in future. We would like to see you back at the hotel again, in the hope we can offer you a better experience.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Whilst the hotel has been refurbished downstairs, which was well over due, the bedrooms remain untouched. It's a shame really as the location is good and the staff attentive too. Whilst bedrooms are perfectly adequate, they are getting tired now. Don't pay over the odds to stay here but it's not all bad.

Room Tip: Try and get on the Club floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. You may be interested to learn that we are currently planning the next stage of our refurbishment which will take in the bedrooms and I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night, it was ok I used air miles so got it very cheap however room rate would have been £269 and it certainly wasn't worth that!

Bed was untidy on arrival, despite knowing was two guests only one dressing gown, cheap plastic toilet seats, dirty windows which don't open and air con not really cooling the room. Staff were all very pleasant.

Had to pay £6 to park my car which I think shocking and if I had paid £269 I would not have been impressed!

Overall would stay again but wouldn't pay their prices or take my car!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sad to read of the problems you had with your room and I will ensure action is taken to ensure this does not occur again in the future. I am however pleased that you found our staff to be very friendly. I would like to welcome you back in the future to see how good we can be.

Prior Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I would stay here again. The staff was friendly and helpful. We asked for a recommendation for a restaurant nearby that was reasonable and she gave us an excellent one. We went to the La Rotunda Casa Italiana. The room was spacious and clean and included free wiffi in the room. The only problem was our keys didn't work the first time. The hotel is on the river Clyde with great walking paths on both sides of the river. We got a great map from the front desk staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tginmn
Thank you for leaving a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff friendly and helpful, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kent, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Good location for staying in Glasgow on business and the main lobby / coffee / dinner area is very spacious - good if you're meeting clients, etc. Rooms are the usual Crowne Plaza standard and overall recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found our facilities were able to meet your needs, I hope we can see you again in the future.