“Top Glasgow Hotel with great staff”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Top Glasgow Hotel with great staff”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We have been staying at the Crowne Plaza for weekend breaks for 3 years now and as per our previous visits we have found that all the staff are very helpful and that nothing is to much trouble for them,special mention goes to the bar manager and his team for making sure that we enjoyed our stay. Also the staff who we dealt with at reception desk could not have been nicer, looking forward to staying at our favourite hotel in Glasgow in the near future

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
Thanks for your review. I am delighted that you enjoy staying with us. Its always appreciated when one takes the time and trouble to thank the team.

I hope you will not leave it too long till you stay again.

Regards,

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My wife and I were really looking forward to staying here as we were attending a function in the hotel. We were not disappointed. Lunch was great when we arrived, room was amazing great views from both sides of the hotel. Large bedroom spotlessly clean. The function food was excellent, service was second to none glasses topped up continuously plenty of attentive staff on hand. Breakfast was all you required with plenty of variety. £5 to park in the car park even as a resident was annoying and the cheap coffee in the room was unfortunate, but did that spoil our stay certainly not would definately book in here again when staying in Glasgow.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rod2015
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 February 2011
What a great review - thanks so much. i am particularly pleased that you commented about your experience at a function held in the Hotel. I'm not sure everyone realises that we also host many events, both large and small every year,

Angus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Stayed the night here after previously being loyal to The Glasgow Hilton for years as our preferable Glasgow stop, however, I have already decided to book again for a 2 night stay in April as we enjoyed it so much.

We had a standard double room and it was perfectly fine. Very clean room & en-suite with comfy bed and had everything you needed, and, best of all, it was half the price of The Hilton! The room was quite warm and we did need to keep A/C on during the night, but it worked ok and we were very comfortable.

The covered walkway from the car park was especially welcome in the rain, and the views were fabulous too.

Pool & leisure centre looked lovely- we didn't have time to use the facilities there but will try them out next time.

Staff were friendly, and couldn't do enough for us, maybe those who have a problem with staff need to remember that a smile and a please or thank you always goes a long way.
We were B&B, we missed breakfast and had forgotten to fill in the room service card but that was out own fault. We didn't have dinner there either because we had other plans so can't say anything about the food, although next time we are thinking about the DBB rate but as hubby is a vegetarian, I'd need to check out the vege menu for him before booking because he is a fussy devil!

The public areas were ok, nothing startling to look at however, it did have a great atmosphere and was very pleasant to sit in for coffee or a wee drink. The waiter service was a welcome bonus. We thought that the bar prices were fairly typical of a 4 star hotel.

Looks like we have found a new regular place for the odd break away from home and the kids! One night just wasn't enough and we will definitely be going back as soon as possible! Thank you Crowne Plaza for a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
thanks for your review following your recent stay. We were all pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. You may be interested to learn that our Public Areas are scheduled for a make over during the Summer - why don't you come back and see what you think?

Also, don't worry about Vegetarian dishes - wide selection available.

Ayrshire
Reviewed 12 February 2011

This was our first visit to the Crowne Plaza and it will definitely not be the last! My Mum and I were going to the SECC to see the Strictly Dancing Tour (10th Feb) and got a terrific deal for dinner, bed and breakfast. We loved the ambiance of the hotel, the food was great and ALL the staff were so friendly and chatty. To be able to walk through a covered, carpeted corridor directly to the SECC was an added bonus. (Hotel photos on the website don't do it justice).

• Stayed February 2011
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
I am pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to the hotel and that it will not be your last - great news!
Its true, the photographs don't really do us justice. Once our planned refurbishments are completed. we will be undertaking to arrange a whole new set.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I have stayed in many hotels in Glasgow over the last few years and have always wanted to stay in the Crowne Plaza, as it looks very impressive from the outside and is in a good location. I was delighted to find a cheap deal for 28. December. I booked a double room and checked in, however we were given a twin. This wasn't really a problem and we changed rooms to a double.
the second room was awful, thick dust behind the TV where it obviously hadn't been cleaned for weeks and a covering of dust all over the room since it had last been cleaned ( I notice in a prevous review the manager states that rooms are clecked daily....not this one). There was also used coffee sachets in the tea tray, stains on the floor, stains on bed covers and ripped curtains. Not really what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. We complained at reception and were given a token appology and moved to a different room, which although clean still wasn't really up to a 4 star standard, with a dirty stained carpet.
I emailed a complaint to the hotel through the Crowne Plaza website on my return home, as I couldn't see a complaints address. Their aim is to reply within 10 working days. 6 weeks later I am still waiting for a reply. Stay at the Marriott instead, it's a real 4 star hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Thanks for posting a review and my apologies for the cleanliness of your room. Our standards dictate that every serviced room is to be checked daily, obviously this did not happen on the 28th December. I have discussed your comments with the Executive Housekeeper who wishes to be associated with my apologies to you.

Unfortunately, we have no record of receiving an e-mail from you. I can assure you, our aim is to reply within a few days at the most ( not 10 working days) as all feedback is treated as invaluable to us.

I do hope you will come and stay with us again,

Falkirk
Reviewed 11 February 2011

We stayed here for one night prior to a hospital visit. Having stayed before, we knew what to expect and weren't disappointed.

I was pleased to see a link to the car park has been added - especially given it was chucking it down when I arrived!

The rooms are a little smaller than other similar levels of hotel, but not poky. The standards of cleanliness cannot be faulted and some lovely touches do make a difference. I've never stayed somewhere which gives an extra towel and flannel when you have a cot, and the sleep easy pack is excellent..

Dinner in the bar wasn't the best quality I've had, but "kids eat free" is always good to see, especially with a picky daughter who hardly eats anything.

The staff (with the exception of one member - and it sounds awfully like the concierge the other member was talking about) were incredibly polite, friendly and helpful.

On arriving in my room, it was very hot, as was the adjoining room and the aircon wasn't working. Within minutes maintenance had arrived and declared they couldn't fix it so I would have to be moved. They arranged with reception to get me new rooms and for someone to come and help with my luggage. The staff member in question, an incredibly rude man knocked on the door and just said "here's your new room keys" When I asked if he could help with my luggage, he just grunted. We went up to the new room and he just dumped the cases and walked out the door. The following day when we had to have new room keys because although we had requested a late check out, the keys stopped working at 12. (I did ask reception if the request had been transferred to the new room and they said it had.....) The same young man came up and just thrust the keys at us then walked away. This member of staff really soured my experience of the hotel. I would suggest he is taught how to be in the service industry and if he doesn't want to be of help, he should find another job.

My only other problem with this hotel is with booking. I called central reservations and was initially told if I wanted to book adjoining rooms, I'd have to call the hotel direct. I did that and was put through to reservations - back to central reservations - who confirmed yes they could book adjoining rooms, but no, the hotel didn't provide cots! I called the hotel again and eventually Marika at reception took the booking and was terribly concerned that i should get the adjoining rooms I wanted and advised me to phone during office hours, a couple of days before we went to check they had been allocated. On the day of check in she remembered my call and explained she had actually checked herself, so concerned was she that we would arrive and find we didn't get what we had asked. Having the facility to easily phone the hotel reception, to book rooms is vital. Central reservations is a waste of time and in my experience, if a booking goes wrong it comes from them.

Anyway, all in all, it was a good experience and I would recommend it to others - just watch for the rude member of staff.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Thanks for posting a review. I am pleased that despite the two examples of bad service from the one member of staff, you still enjoyed your stay and complimented Marika. Its always appreciated when one takes the time and trouble to thank the staff involved.

Our new menu is now proving a great success after a few tweaks - I hope you will notice an improvement should yopu stay again.

Dominic
London
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Stayed for work. Hotel comfortable and modern, if not a little dated in places. Staff unfriendly and unprofessional.

• Stayed January 2011
Thanks for posting a review following your stay. I'm sorry you found the staff unfriendly and unprofessional - would be grateful for a little bit more to go on.

Hope it doesn't deter you from stsying again with us though.