“Not a five star experience”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not a five star experience”
Reviewed 21 April 2011

My husband and I were looking forward to a relaxing stay in a luxury hotel, but were sadly disappointed.

On check-in, the receptionist was efficient but that is all. She didn't smile once or make an effort to welcome us. Have had warmer welcomes at a Travelodge.

Our hotel guide and remote control holder in the room were thick with dust.

The AC didn't work properly, although a very friendly maintenance man came to fix it when I called reception

Most serious of all, I asked the breakfast chef whether the mushrooms were cooked in oil or butter. He told me neither, they were cooked in water, so I ate them. I then discovered what looked like butter on the plate where the mushrooms had been. When I showed this to the chef, he told me there was 'butter in the water' and didn't seem to care one bit that he'd knowingly served me something that would make me sick. His attitude was terrible and I have written to the manager about it.

One thing to be careful of if staying here is the minibar, which is automated - ie. if you take a bottle out to look at it, or even knock something over in it, you are automatically charged for it. There is a warning sticker on the minibar but in very small print and I missed it - a costly mistake!

We loved the pool and jacuzzi - definitely the highlight of our stay.

Some of the staff at this hotel were lovely, but this stay was so much less than we expected. Definitely not a five star experience.

Room Tip: Watch out for automated minibar!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank prismacolor
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am aware that our Director of Operations has contacted you directly by letter regarding your feedback in relation to breakfast.

I would, however, like to address the other aspects of your stay that failed to meet your expectations and should you have a spare moment please do not hesitate to contact me on 0141 204 5555 or sales.glasow@hilton.com.

On a positive note, I would like to thank you for mentioning our team members in particular. It's always nice to feedback and I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our Livingwell facilities.

Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Turkish first
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 16 April 2011

The Hilton Hotel in Glasgow falls way below the standard that Hilton has set. Let me give you a few examples:

1. During check in we were neither greeted as Diamond members nor treated as such. Even though executive rooms were available they initially failed to upgrade us. After inquiring about an upgrade they begrudging gave us one but not without several less than complementary statements. We were also made to go and wait to get into the room.
2. We were never given an internet card so we used the internet sign on and were charged 15 pounds per day. When we asked about this at checkout we were told it must have been an oversight but I suspect this occurs quite often and the hotel makes a bit more money from HHonors members. NO WIFI
3. The minibar was not serviced daily. Even after calling and asking for it to be serviced it was not. Finally I went to the front desk and asked that they refill the two diet cokes in the minibar and provide two extra diet cokes. After two hours they had still not brought the drinks. When I called yet again I was told that because four diet cokes wouldn’t fit in the minibar they had not brought me any….. I pleaded my case for the drinks and they finally brought them up. The food manager called me a short time later and apologized and said that the drinks would be complementary which was quite nice. Unfortunately when we got our bill all the drinks had been charged to our room.
4. The daily maid service failed to provide even the basic bathroom amenities. For our entire three day stay we had to move one miniature bar of soap from the bathtub to the sink because that is all they provided.
5. There was no changing of the linen during our stay.
6. We went to the hotel bar for dinner one night. The wait staff was so busy talking in the back they never came to our table. I had to get our drinks from the bar, get our own place settings and place our food order at the bar. The only time we got “service” is when it was time to pay the tab.
7. The rates for phone calls were not posted in the room. We called the front desk and asked about the rates. Our bill did not reflect the rates quoted to us by the receptionist.
8. The elevators worked well sometimes and other times they got stuck on certain floors and wouldn't go up or down.

On the positive side.
1. The concierge was very friendly and helpful.
2. The staff in the executive lounge was very nice.
3. The breakfast served in the executive lounge was great.
4. Location was good, walking distance to many good restaurants
5. Easy to catch Taxi short ride to train station

One final thought. This is 2011 and we live in a world of IPads, IPhones, Smartphones, Tablets, and Netbooks. For a world class name like Hilton to not offer WiFi throughout the property and particularly in the rooms is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Floors: 19 & 20 are the executive floors
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ksiddel
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am aware that our Director of Operations has contacted you directly by letter regarding your feedback.

I would, however, like to address the aspects of your stay that failed to meet your expectations and should you have a spare moment please do not hesitate to contact me on 0141 204 5555 or sales.glasow@hilton.com.

On a positive note, I would like to thank you for mentioning our team members in particular. It's always nice to feedback.

antalya
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed here from 7 to 10 April..I was an exhibitor at a fair in the SECC...The hotel's location was very convenient..I tried the breakfast which was expected as any of the Hiltons and the Bar...The bar was usualy busy so service was not perfect but still it was ok..The staff at reception, bar and the restaurant was good and helpful...When I go back to Glasgow, I would choose the same hotel again..

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, I'm also delighted to hear, that should you return to Glasgow, you would choose to stay again.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 7 April 2011

went to Glasgow to see the University. Breakfast was pretty good, hotel was quite business like. The actual City in the West End is pretty damn nice when the weather is good, probably better than Edinburgh. Shopping better too. Edinburgh is popular because of its old school culture/tourist stuff.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay in 2010 and hope that you have managed to return to the hotel again.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

The rooms were lovely and big ,bathroom excellent with piping hot water. The breakfast had an amazing choice and the chefs would try to accommodate any special requirements. The swimming pool and gym have nice facilities to enjoy after a busy day shopping. It is only a ten to fifteen minute walk to argyle street, very handy. But the best asset of this hotel is the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. They do justice to the good reputation of Glasgwegians. I can honestly say this has been one of the nicest weekend breaks I have experienced.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed all the elements of your stay and in particular our Hilton breakfast and the extensive choice that we provide.

It's great to be able to pass on such positive feedback to the team who particularly liked to hear that they do justice to the Glaswegians strong reputation for hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Glasgow in the future.

Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We stayed here at the end of January for 3 nights. The carpet in the room was filthy. There wasn't a clean surface in the whole room. Inside the wardrobe had thick dirt around the inside top edges. Even with double glazing, we could hear the air conditioning system 12 floors below our window. There was a £10 charge if we wanted to use the Wi-Fi facility from our room. The bathroom had badly repaired tiling. Extra towels that we had ordered mysteriously dissapeared one by one each day. Breakfast was an experience not to be repeated. Each morning we were asked what fruit juice we would like. We're still waiting for a waiter to actually bring it. The coffee is absolutely terrible. I'm sure the scrambled egg was powdered. The poached egg wasn't much better as it was reheated. The black pudding was as hard as a brick. The sausages tasted like they were straight from a Farmfoods packet. We saw waiters carry clean mugs to the tables holding them with their fingers on the inside like they were carrying a six pack of beer. Tables were covered in dirty dishes while waiters played cards. Guests meanwhile waited at the empty reception desk for a table. They couldn't have had one anyway, because none of them had been cleared. On our final day, it was suggested to us that we might like to come down early for breakfast. Apparently at the weekend the hotel is full of people staying on special cheap rates and it can become difficult to get a seat for breakfast. Ha! We were charged £10 a night to park our car. God knows what the alternative would have been as there is no parking in the immediate area - it's right next to the M8 motorway. We were paying for our stay with Tesco vouchers. We asked if they needed our voucher redemption form and were told that it wasn't necessary. We were then billed over £300 on our credit card for not producing this form. We phoned the telephone number given for customer services which turns out to be their American call centre that only deals with bookings. Fat chance! To summarise; this is not at all what you expect of a 5 star hotel. We've had better from a 3 star b&b.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AvondaleGH
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to Craig, Duty Manager, following your stay at the hotel.

I hope Craig has reassured you that your comments have been taken on board and action will be taken.

Feedback is extremely important and can only help us improve our facilities and service delivery.

Should you plan to visit Glasgow in the near future I hope that you will return to the hotel and allow us the opportunity to deliver the experience you would expect.

Scotland
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Stayed with a small group of Family for a Birthday get together, and met larger group for meal in Minskys. Staff were very friendly and helpfull, Food in the Resteraunt was excellent as was the service which was impressive as Minskys was very busy at the time.The rooms were large and well fitted out with great views
The location near to the centre of the City was good and for a small cost for Taxis it meant that the car could be left in the Hotel car park without the hassle of driving.
The pool was great and my wife was impressed with the Massage that she had booked.
We will definitley be returning again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that we were able to help you with your family celebration.

The Ocean Rooms Spa have expanded their services within the hotel by opening The Ocean Rooms Nail Boutique and also the Ocean Rooms Hair Spa.

It's great to be able to pass on such positive comments to the team and thank you for awarding us full marks.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.