“Amazing breakfast and bed”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #32 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Ayrshire
“Amazing breakfast and bed”
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Arrived in the afternoon, got to our room and realised that the walls were paper thin since I could hear an Irish couple next door giving it yeehaa. Didn't really bother me, found it quite funny however don't think my girlfriend was best pleased. We also shared one of those doors that are locked!
Went out for dinner and came back for a few drinks. As you would expect from a Hilton the drinks are REALLY expensive, 15 quid for a vodka and a JD.
Sleep was great and the bed was massive. Breakfast was amazing. AMAZING. It had everything you could imagine and the wee chef standing at the bacon was really cheery, which goes along way in the morning!
I wish I had plenty of money to stay here overnight more often, it really is a brilliant place, but pricey.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel,in particular our Hilton Breakfast, and have passed on your comments to our breakfast chef.
We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Turkish first
Dundee
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Lovely hotel room, comfy bed but no-one mentioned the drilling that started at 08.30am. Normally at that time we're out an our way to work but it was trip to see Eric Clapton so no kids and a long lie. Eventually we gave up and checked out, when I mentioned it to reception she said would talk to maintenance, not particularly helpful to us.

Room Tip: Check if there is any work going on the hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear that you liked your room and comfy bed,however I am sorry to hear of your experience and will ensure that I pass on your feedback to our Reception Manager and Maintenance department.

Once again,I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments as these are invaluable in ensuring that we maintain our standards.

Kind Regards,

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

A very enjoyable stay. We upgraded to the Executive floors and it was well worth the extra spend asit included a very good lounge. Lovely views over the city, excellent space in the room and a superb bed. High recommended.

Room Tip: Go for the Executive floors.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and in particular the views from your executive room and the lounge.

I have to agree that the views are spectacular!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Glasgow in the future.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We spent 4 nights at this hotel over Easter with our young children. We were so impressed with the service we received. The staff were really friendly and went out of their way to make life easy for us with the children. Children ate free in the buffet restaurant - there was a wide choice of food for all. A thoroughly relaxing break.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the hotel and managed to have a relaxing break.

It's great to be able to pass on such positive feedback to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Glasgow in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2011

My husband and I were looking forward to a relaxing stay in a luxury hotel, but were sadly disappointed.

On check-in, the receptionist was efficient but that is all. She didn't smile once or make an effort to welcome us. Have had warmer welcomes at a Travelodge.

Our hotel guide and remote control holder in the room were thick with dust.

The AC didn't work properly, although a very friendly maintenance man came to fix it when I called reception

Most serious of all, I asked the breakfast chef whether the mushrooms were cooked in oil or butter. He told me neither, they were cooked in water, so I ate them. I then discovered what looked like butter on the plate where the mushrooms had been. When I showed this to the chef, he told me there was 'butter in the water' and didn't seem to care one bit that he'd knowingly served me something that would make me sick. His attitude was terrible and I have written to the manager about it.

One thing to be careful of if staying here is the minibar, which is automated - ie. if you take a bottle out to look at it, or even knock something over in it, you are automatically charged for it. There is a warning sticker on the minibar but in very small print and I missed it - a costly mistake!

We loved the pool and jacuzzi - definitely the highlight of our stay.

Some of the staff at this hotel were lovely, but this stay was so much less than we expected. Definitely not a five star experience.

Room Tip: Watch out for automated minibar!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank prismacolor
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am aware that our Director of Operations has contacted you directly by letter regarding your feedback in relation to breakfast.

I would, however, like to address the other aspects of your stay that failed to meet your expectations and should you have a spare moment please do not hesitate to contact me on 0141 204 5555 or sales.glasow@hilton.com.

On a positive note, I would like to thank you for mentioning our team members in particular. It's always nice to feedback and I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our Livingwell facilities.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 16 April 2011

The Hilton Hotel in Glasgow falls way below the standard that Hilton has set. Let me give you a few examples:

1. During check in we were neither greeted as Diamond members nor treated as such. Even though executive rooms were available they initially failed to upgrade us. After inquiring about an upgrade they begrudging gave us one but not without several less than complementary statements. We were also made to go and wait to get into the room.
2. We were never given an internet card so we used the internet sign on and were charged 15 pounds per day. When we asked about this at checkout we were told it must have been an oversight but I suspect this occurs quite often and the hotel makes a bit more money from HHonors members. NO WIFI
3. The minibar was not serviced daily. Even after calling and asking for it to be serviced it was not. Finally I went to the front desk and asked that they refill the two diet cokes in the minibar and provide two extra diet cokes. After two hours they had still not brought the drinks. When I called yet again I was told that because four diet cokes wouldn’t fit in the minibar they had not brought me any….. I pleaded my case for the drinks and they finally brought them up. The food manager called me a short time later and apologized and said that the drinks would be complementary which was quite nice. Unfortunately when we got our bill all the drinks had been charged to our room.
4. The daily maid service failed to provide even the basic bathroom amenities. For our entire three day stay we had to move one miniature bar of soap from the bathtub to the sink because that is all they provided.
5. There was no changing of the linen during our stay.
6. We went to the hotel bar for dinner one night. The wait staff was so busy talking in the back they never came to our table. I had to get our drinks from the bar, get our own place settings and place our food order at the bar. The only time we got “service” is when it was time to pay the tab.
7. The rates for phone calls were not posted in the room. We called the front desk and asked about the rates. Our bill did not reflect the rates quoted to us by the receptionist.
8. The elevators worked well sometimes and other times they got stuck on certain floors and wouldn't go up or down.

On the positive side.
1. The concierge was very friendly and helpful.
2. The staff in the executive lounge was very nice.
3. The breakfast served in the executive lounge was great.
4. Location was good, walking distance to many good restaurants
5. Easy to catch Taxi short ride to train station

One final thought. This is 2011 and we live in a world of IPads, IPhones, Smartphones, Tablets, and Netbooks. For a world class name like Hilton to not offer WiFi throughout the property and particularly in the rooms is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Floors: 19 & 20 are the executive floors
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ksiddel
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am aware that our Director of Operations has contacted you directly by letter regarding your feedback.

I would, however, like to address the aspects of your stay that failed to meet your expectations and should you have a spare moment please do not hesitate to contact me on 0141 204 5555 or sales.glasow@hilton.com.

On a positive note, I would like to thank you for mentioning our team members in particular. It's always nice to feedback.

antalya
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed here from 7 to 10 April..I was an exhibitor at a fair in the SECC...The hotel's location was very convenient..I tried the breakfast which was expected as any of the Hiltons and the Bar...The bar was usualy busy so service was not perfect but still it was ok..The staff at reception, bar and the restaurant was good and helpful...When I go back to Glasgow, I would choose the same hotel again..

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, I'm also delighted to hear, that should you return to Glasgow, you would choose to stay again.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.