“Best Customer Service”

Ranked #31 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Vancouver, Canada
“Best Customer Service”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel with 3 of my friends and thought we'd just be another number at a Hilton Hotel. Were we wrong! From check-in to check-out all the staff from the concierge to the spa staff to the bar staff was excellent. They would do whatever it took to make sure we were happy customers. It was the perfect start to our vacation! While the hotel is just like any Hilton the staff make it exceptional!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jewels0918
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and would like to thank you in particular for mentioning your experience with our team.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation.

Business Development Department
0141 204 5555

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 25 May 2011

The lift from the car park is being upgraded and it is not until you are faced with the stairs and the effort of carrying your luggage up two flights, that you are aware of this. When we arrived at reception out of breath , we were told in a very abrupt manner by the check in clerk that we could have dropped our case off before going to the car park! Well, guess what - if there was a sign outside reception inviting us to do so, we would have!!

We have stayed at this hotel a few times over the last few years with varying degrees of comfort, however this time neither of us were able to sleep due to the uncomfortable bed with possibly the hardest mattress we have ever had to lie on!!

We were told that the rooms had been refurbished, However, the overall effect was totally ruined by the old waste pedal bin in the bathroom which tipped over each time the pedal was used and the large crack in the wash hand basin.

Maybe their 5 star rating is out dated.

LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am extremely sorry to learn that your expectations were not met and that you experienced a poor nights sleep.

I do not have enough information to locate your reservation and would like to request that you contact me through sales.glasgow@hilton.com or alternatively please call me in the Business Development Department on 0141 204 5555.

Sarah
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We have stayed at this hotel several times and thought it was great. However this time we felt there were issues with the room which you would not expect to find at this standard. The bath had several chips in it, there was mould on shower wall, towel rail kept falling off and red rawl plugs on back of bathroom door where hook should have been! Also bedroom furniture was chipped. Staff excellent in all aspects, but will consider another option for next stay in glasgow.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I have been staying here for nearly 10 years and probably at least 50 stays. That's pretty good loyalty. Needless to say my experiences will have been better than most given the WB (Welcome Back) in my booking and my top tier Hilton HHonors status.

Positives:

Most rooms are now refurbished. The Executive Rooms are nicely decorated, large bathroom, original but obviously good quality sinks, nearly always very clean. I have only stayed in a standard room once when the hotel was sold out and I could not be upgraded but it was before the renovations and I doubt my views are relevant now.

I'm always recognised by staff who are very pleasant. Elaine on reception is very nice.The lounge staff, particularly the lady's from Poland and Brazil are very good. There are of course other names who have come and go over the years.

Cameron's serves food of very good quality, particularly the mussels when they are on the menu. It has a very nice ambience. The fish & chips in the bar, though £14.50 (IIRC) is very tasty having been fried in tempura batter. The lounge has a good range of snacks in the evening, I particularly like the Applewood cheese.

The bar is fully refurbished and the booth's are very cosy when dining with friends, colleagues and loved ones. Particularly good for having private conversations with colleagues or the like.

The breakfast buffet is very extensive. There is porridge and a little whiskey is provided for this (in line with other Scottish Hilton's). The cold buffet features various cold meats and fish including smoked salmon and parma or serrano ham (I'm not sure which). It's nice to have the eggs cooked to order.

Negatives:

The lounge was moved to the ground floor around two years ago. Where the old Italian restaurant used to be. As a result it has no views given it has absolutely zero windows, it's obviously an error when Management Rep Lisa Laverty wrote on a recent review ' particular the views from your executive room and the lounge.' The old lounge was a bit dilapidated but I think it was a mistake to move it so far from the actual Executive Rooms.

The amenities in the lounge have decreased in quality. In the old lounge there were home-made biscuits in the morning, shortbread, cookies etc. Wonderful. Now it's all pre-packed. The afternoon tea is often not very good. I don't believe the scone's are made in the hotel and if they are they are certainly NOT fresh obviously made at some point to be frozen. When I complained they were heated up, the same rock hard scone just reheated. Disappointing. Only budget cuts can have lead to these "enhancements".

It's a bit of a shame that Glasgow has taken the policed alcohol policy, this is an increasing trend across Hilton in the UK. However there are issues of alcohol abuse in the hotel, particularly among Scottish guests. I've even arrived on occasion to find drunk suits at the entrance wanting to get into my taxi back to the town. I'm not aware Scottish licensing laws permit the serving of alcohol to already incapacitated persons.

International Newspaper's are always a day behind, I don't know why when various airline lounges in Scotland have up-to-date versions...it's not like they're not available.

I think more effort could be made to fully renovate the pool area. I appreciate it's in the basement but it could be made into a luxury spa to really give the area a good USP.

In some area's I think the breakfast is a little weak. The pork products do not seem of the best quality. With the food one must realise this is a Hilton and as such it has a central buying policy, it won't be seeking the best local products when it comes to things like bacon & sausages because they cost too much and they wouldn't fit with the budget. It's pretty rare you will find "free range" on a Hilton menu within the UK.

Talking of Minsky's a few years ago the a la carte menu was taken away, leaving Cameron's as the only option. If you were staying on a DBB basis you previously had up to £25 to spend on food. I believe now it only cover's the Minsky's buffet. As I don't bother with DBB any more I cannot confirm the most recent policy but in any case I'd recommend sticking to Cameron's only (closed on Sunday's).

You can sometimes stay here for as little as £55 a night with breakfast which is a very good rate. I'd happily pay more to receive a better quality breakfast.

Drinks in the bar are very expensive, but I've hardly ever bought any considering the lounge.

Approaching the hotel on foot coming off the airport bus is not so easy, you have to go back behind the hotel (by the staff smoking shelter) and walk up by the taxi rank. There is no pavement here.

Don't forget, unless you are Gold or Diamond with Hilton HHonors you will have to pay an extortionate amount for Internet access.

In conclusion:

This is a very good hotel that is a little let down by it's cost cutting policies over the years, one can only appreciate the differences having stayed here before. I'd agree that the hotel has improved in many aspects such as the renovation of the rooms and what would appear to be improved staff retention which leads to better recognition of guests. It is however let down by a few penny pinching policies which in this guest's opinion is a shame, considering they really are saving just penny's.

Unfortunately as BMI, "British Midland International" have cut Glasgow from their route network I won't be staying as often given our corporate policy's. Despite my criticisms I do recommend the hotel but do remember your experiences will differ greatly to mine depending on the room type you book and your status with the Hilton HHonors programme.

Room Tip: Apparently, some Exec Rooms have balcony's.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank londonflyer_2012
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive review of Hilton Glasgow.

All forms of feedback are invaluable in ensuring we maintain our high levels of service and standards. As you are a loyal guest of Hilton Glasgow, your feedback in particular is a natural representation of how we are performing.

I would also like to thank you for mentioning individual team members as we have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

Although your comments are extremely detailed, I would be keen to meet with you during your next visit to Glasgow or have a chat on the phone.

If you can spare some time, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0141 204 5555 or sales.glasgow@hilton.com

Many Thanks
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Strangely would not accept debit card. Took £50 from debit card to cover any in house expenses. Had an average dinner in the a la carte restaurant which came to £150 therefore outwith our 'credit' limit. Had to pay cash for breakfast in room and then had knock on door at 10.10am to make sure we were leaving!!!!!!Not good customer service I am afraid. So will not be going back for romantic night away and will not be recommending to friends.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment and would like to apologise on behalf of the team for the poor customer service you experienced and can assure you that this is not the level of service we strive to achieve.

We do have a hotel policy regards in-house expenses and I have asked our Front Office Manager to ensure that the continued training focus on customer care will include this.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further.

Business Development Department
0141 204 5555
Ayrshire
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Arrived in the afternoon, got to our room and realised that the walls were paper thin since I could hear an Irish couple next door giving it yeehaa. Didn't really bother me, found it quite funny however don't think my girlfriend was best pleased. We also shared one of those doors that are locked!
Went out for dinner and came back for a few drinks. As you would expect from a Hilton the drinks are REALLY expensive, 15 quid for a vodka and a JD.
Sleep was great and the bed was massive. Breakfast was amazing. AMAZING. It had everything you could imagine and the wee chef standing at the bacon was really cheery, which goes along way in the morning!
I wish I had plenty of money to stay here overnight more often, it really is a brilliant place, but pricey.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel,in particular our Hilton Breakfast, and have passed on your comments to our breakfast chef.
We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dundee
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Lovely hotel room, comfy bed but no-one mentioned the drilling that started at 08.30am. Normally at that time we're out an our way to work but it was trip to see Eric Clapton so no kids and a long lie. Eventually we gave up and checked out, when I mentioned it to reception she said would talk to maintenance, not particularly helpful to us.

Room Tip: Check if there is any work going on the hotel
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear that you liked your room and comfy bed,however I am sorry to hear of your experience and will ensure that I pass on your feedback to our Reception Manager and Maintenance department.

Once again,I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments as these are invaluable in ensuring that we maintain our standards.

Kind Regards,