“Yet another first class stay”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Yet another first class stay”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We have just returned from a most enjoyable two night stay at our favourite Glasgow hotel. In true Hilton tradition we were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived receiving a warm welcome from Alan (you will be missed along with David!!) efficient check in, being upgraded to the Executive floor as a Diamond HH member to a lovely corner room, and were spoilt rotten by the amazing Isabella in the Executive lounge. Full marks as always to Jeremy and the team at concierge, no request was a problem even down to the use of the Hilton brolley during the rather wet days!! The whole team at the Glasgow Hilton could not do more to make your stay so relaxing, full credit to all.
In conclusion do not have to say any more except keep the good work up, we look forward to our return very soon I hope.

Room Tip: If you have booked a standard room, upgrade to the Executive floor outstanding service from the very...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your return stay at the hotel and in particular, the service you received.

I would also like to thank you for mentioning our team, it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Glasgow when you return to the city.

Kindest Regards
Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We made a reservation online but at the eleventh hour chose to take our teenagers with us.
The hotel’s policy is that under 18’s can have adjoining rooms but not separate room, so phoned the hotel and the girl changed our booking and gave us 50% discount on the adjoining room.
Upon arrival we parked in the hotel car park which is directly underneath via a ticket and barrier system.
This costs £10 per day which is a little steep but it is secure.
We arrived at 1600hrs but the receptionist informed us that sadly our adjoining room had not been serviced but they were in the process of doing it at the time.
A little inconvenient but not worth making a fuss about, so we chose to make use of the pool which was very clean and quiet, along with fully functioning steam room, sauna and jacuzzi.
Back upstairs on the 9th floor, our rooms were clean and spacious with modern decor. The green and brown colour scheme wasn’t to my liking but my family seemed to like it.
A good size bathroom with plenty of towels, good hanging space, relaxing two seater leather sofa and comfortable king size bed. Our teenagers were very happy with their adjoining twin room.
Beware the room fridge is of the type that automatically charges you should you remove something, no good if you wish to chill your own drinks.
We took drinks in the hotel bar which was a bit on the dear side, especially their draft Pimms!
However the bar had a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere, decorated with some interesting black and white photographs of Glasgow industrial and shipbuilding past.
A good nights sleep was enjoyed by all thanks to quiet and efficient air conditioning.
In the morning the quantity, variety and quality of the breakfast buffet was most impressive.
Cereals, toast (selection of breads) porridge, sausages, bacon, black-pudding, haggis, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, hash browns, eggs any way you like and pastry’s.
Attentive but not intrusive service for juice, tea and coffee.
Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their breakfast and it was obvious that it had not been sitting on the hot press for ages.
In all a very pleasant stay, even though there was a very large function on at the time it was totally unobtrusive.

Room Tip: Book online and join Hilton loyalty scheme
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rangestormer
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Glasgow and for the level of detail included in your review.

I'm delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the hotel and in particular our Livingwell Health Club and our famous Hilton Breakfast.

We completed the refurbishment of a further 3 floors of bedrooms back in May. These rooms are similar in style to the rooms you enjoyed; however, the colour scheme takes on warm tones of claret, cream and brown. Please let me know should you return to the hotel as I would be interested to hear what you thought of the change in colour.

Thanks again,
edinburgh
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Really disapointed to have to temper what was going to a write up for a great stay at the Glasgow Hilton by what has happened subsequently.

Our stay itself was great. Top quality service, a lovely large room and a superb breakfast the next morning. However, on first arriving I put a bottle of water in the mini bar and knocked over a couple of cans in the fridge in the process. I then looked up and saw signs saying if you move items in the mini bar you will be charged!! This really irritated me and I was ready to tackle the issue if charged at check out but was pleased that reason prevailed and I was not charged......or so I thought. Now over a month later I have just received my credit card bill to find I have been charged £12 for trying to chill my water. To me this is just a cynical money making ploy that relies on most people just writing off the charge. We won't be going back and I feel a bit sad about that as the rest of the experience was good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in particular the service and breakfast.

With regards to our mini bar service, I have passed your comments to our Reception Manager ,Elaine Reid,who would like to request that you contact her through frontoffice.glasgow@hilton.com or alternatively please call [--] to discuss your comments further.

Kind Regards,

Glasgow
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Good food and service however was disappointed the mini bar wasnt working or stocked.

Prices for drinks is really expensive, mind and pack a few beers...

Rooms are getting a bit tired, a re vamp soon needed. Had a great sleep!

No internet either! Well if you wish to pay £15 per day!

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the food and service.

All feedback is shared with our team members and it is invaluable in ensuring we maintain our high level of service and standards.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2011

We booked a room on the 40% off weekend rate deal and were pleasantly impressed with the £70 we paid. Yes we appreciate we had to pay £10 to park but it was at least underground and in a sceure car park so what else would you expect in a big city centre nowadays? We were given a room on the 11th floor which had been recently renovated and all was pretty much perfect except some idiot of a guest must have spent an hour scratching one of the bedside tables. Why? Beggars belief really.

We went swimming in the pool, used the timed spa pool and I had a session in the steam room. All very relaxing.

We then spent the evening in the bar and had one of their trademark seafood pizzas. Very filling and very tasty indeed, althought at £9 a glass of wine was a tad on the steep side.

Bed was comfy and all was quiet until around 6am when a group of noisy guests decided to leave their room early. Again I'd like to stress what can the hotel do about that? They're inconsiderate idiots so unless the hotel has an idiot vetting service on reception what can they do?

Breakfast was again a very pleasant afair with lots of different choices and some attentive staff. Others may have not been as attentive but it was a very busy morning and we got seated quickly and had a very good start to the day.

Anyway, I've saved the best bit 'til last. The door team and in particular Alan did their utmost to make our transit into the hotel as easy as possible. We'd been away for a few days across Scotland with our bikes and they were so helpful in helping us store the bikes and gave us plenty of time out front to get things sorted. Brilliant.

Oh and the lifts...............yes it was a bit of a wait but never 15 minutes. It was never more than three so unless every second of your life is so precious don't let those reviews put you off.

Fife
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We have been staying here since the hotel opened but certainly reasonably regularly over the last three or four years. We are hilton honours members and HGVC owners and do you think we can ever get an up-grade...................... NEVER!! However, we are booked again for our anniversary in a couple of weeks in and executive room 'cos I know we wont get an up-grade. We do like this hotel, problems with lifts for a long time but pleased to see they are now up-grading. Restaurants................... disappointing. Minsky's at £25 pp nowhere near worth the money, it was years ago bu pretty rubbish offerings now. Carvery meat to sole your shoes with! Camerons....... menu sounds fabulous but when plates arrive they are a little disappointing and bland. Breakfast is great if you get there early. The waitng staff do work hard. Hiltons in general can be hit or miss with food though. (Treetops in Aberdeen - food absolutely RUBBISH) We pop into town to eat. Beautiful hotel, nice rooms, excellent location, 10 minute walk into town. Sort out your restaurants and you'll be quids in!!

Room Tip: Good luck to you!
Scotland
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Just completed a 5-night stay in the Hilton Glasgow (out first stay in this particular hotel), and I have to say we were very impressed overall.
Thanks to my hard-earned Diamond HHonors membership, we would have been upgraded to an Executive Floor room (floors 18-20), but as my son was staying with us we had to take a room on the 17th floor. The room was very spacious, and always made up well, but the carpet looked as if somebody had died on it, and no great effort had been made to scrub away the blood stains -- it really looked revolting, although the room itself did not actually appear dirty (if that makes sense !).
The only problem with having a room in the sky is the journey to the reception level (2nd floor) or the gym/spa (1st floor) -- with 2 of the 3 possible elevators functioning, it could (and did) take rather a long time to get to the bottom; on one morning when only 1 elevator was functioning, I considered throwing myself down the laundry chute.
On the plus side, on my return on 2 consecutive evenings, they had deployed one of the function staff to escort guests from the main lobby around to the staff / housekeeping elevator -- he was a very courteous young man, and was 1 of many staff that I would consider to be assets to this hotel (Chris at Reception, Marta in the Lounge -- forgive me for missing people, or messing up names !).
As I was fortunate enough to have access to the Executive Lounge just past the gift shop, we took breakfast there each morning --- it was very good, quite a substantial selection, and extremely efficient and courteous staff at all times. We also used it in the evenings, when hot snacks and alcohol were available between 1800 -2030hrs. We didn't really have more than a glass of wine or a beer, but there was a reasonable selection to choose from.
The gym was pretty small, but well-maintained, and perfectly acceptable for my needs (but then I am middle-aged and lazy !!).
I will certainly consider this hotel for future stays in Glasgow, and I have added it to my short-list of potential hotels to take the family to this Christmas.
If they can sort the elevators (and visit World Of Carpets or similar !), this would be a 5-star review.

Room Tip: Book and Executive Room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business