“I have stayed in much better 5* star hotels”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen
“I have stayed in much better 5* star hotels”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I actually tried to cancel my booking after seeing reviews on this site, but it was non-refundable. However my room was clean and comfortable and on the 12th floor thereby avoiding most of the noise from the motorway slap bang next door. But for a 5 star hotel their eye for detail was missing - broken towel rail in bathroom, broken floor lamp (supported by back of a chair), locked minibar with no explanantion as to why (mind you having seeing the minibar prices this was perhaps just as well), small holes in bed linen, interlocking double doors with room next door, so heard them and they must have heard me, room doors that self shut so everyone lets them bang shut in the middle of the night. Just to make noise levels worse, guests the other side of me, decided to have a blazing argument for a couple of hours. Hotel was very busy on a Saturday night but I caught up on sleep the previous nights.

One lift is still out of action causing queues at peak times particulalry the breakfast/morning check out rush. Breakfast itself was fine and efficiently served. The location is odd for a 5 star hotel - not the prettiest part of Glasgow by any means and the first impression was that the area was not safe at night if walking. In fact it was safe, but the best way to get to the city centre on foot is to turn left out of the hotel, use the path through the small garden, walk down the hill by the busy slip road from the M8 and turn left at the Marriott Hotel and you will be on Argyll Street. Central Station is just 10 minutes walk and Queen Street Station is 20 minutes.

My other tip is to avoid the room internet and wifi connections as these are charged at extortionate rates. I have stayed in 2 and 3 star hotels before and got these facilities free. Pool was fine with clean changing areas. All this being said, I have stayed in much better 5 star hotels and my stay merely confirmed my thoughts that the Hilton chain has lost its way in the competition. I would not stay there again unless there were bargain rates available.

Room Tip: Request the highest floor possible and within your budget (executive rooms are on the 19 & 20 fl...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank DavidC302
Dear DavidC302,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear you found your room clean and comfortable however I am sorry for the maintenance issues detailed in your review.I have spoken with my Head House keeper and can confirm that both sets of interconnecting rooms on the 12th floor have been audited this week and have found all maintenance issues resolved.

Hilton Glasgow is consistently reviewing the products and services we offer to our guest. The internet charges are consistent across the Hilton brand, however, I will certainly pass on your comments.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback. All forms of feedback are invaluable in ensuring we maintain our high level of service and standards.

Should you plan to visit Glasgow in the near future I hope that you will return to the hotel and allow us the opportunity to deliver the experience you would expect.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this further.

Kindest Regards,
Business Development Department
0141 204 5555

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Turkish first
Oban
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I am a regular visitor to this Hilton. The staff at reception are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is being renovated at present but there is not too much disruption. Unfortunately the Cameron restaurant has gone forever - and Minsky will be renovated to make a single restaurant --watch this space. The main problem with the hotel is that it has some noisy rooms --in particular those over the air conditioning towers. -- rooms ending in 2 are the worst.
I will visit again soon.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 2
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Salmon47,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to hear that you are a regular visitor to the hotel and I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our “friendly staff”.

We are now in the second phase of the enhancement programme which will indeed see Minsky’s and Camerons re-branded as one restaurant.

I have noted your comments in regards to the rooms and have passed to our engineering department.

We look forward to seeing you soon,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just back from a couple of days stay here as it was my sister in laws birthday.We had a lovely room on the 20th floor with fabulous view which enables you to use the executive lounge.We have stayed here on a number of occasions and always book one of the executive rooms as it is definately worth the little extra cost,the girls in the lounge were most courteous and helpful and the food and drink was very satisfactory.
The pool and spa area is good but the changing room was a bit small.
Overall we had a fabulous stay here and will have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: worth upgrading to exec rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Spider226,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed your executive room with its fabulous view.

Your kind comments have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Livingston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed here on business for a seminar at the hotel. Good facilities, reasonably central location. Good sized, clean and comfortable room. Good selection and service at breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Antho909,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to hear you enjoyed the hotel facilities, your comfortable room and the selection and service at breakfast.

Your comments have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Major refurbishment on the public areas, a bit too open for my liking but it is functional. Rooms are getting a bit tired but very clean and comfortable. Breakfast buffet is not that great, a good selection but at 8am scrambled eggs dried up, bacon under cooked. Excellent selection of fruits and cold meats. Only one toaster which makes it slow for toast !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear you found your room very comfortable and clean, however, sorry that you felt the room was a bit tired looking. We are consistently reviewing the products and services we offer to our guest and will include this feedback in our review.

I have shared your comments, regarding the breakfast buffet, with our Executive Chef who has assured me that the areas detailed within your review have been included in the breakfast chef’s on-going training focus.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

north west uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

stayed here in executive rooms for 2 nights - room was comfortable, clean and ticked all the boxes, the executive lounge was well worth the extra and would definately use this again. It is centrally located once you have worked out the route and only takes 10 mins to get the train station on foot..
the staff were helpful and friendly, the bar service was good, all in all very enjoyable.
the lifts were only a very minor issue and would not deter me from staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soll131
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Kwiktripper

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to read your comment “great solid hotel” and that the room ticked all the boxes, location was central and our Executive Lounge was well worth the extra.

I am also pleased to hear of our helpful and friendly staff and good bar service, and have passed on these positive comments to the team.

We do appreciate our guest’s patience during our lift replacement programme.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

was looking forward to a relaxing day out at the so called Ocean Spa at the Hilton. Was terribly dissappointed at the facilties on offer. The pool & changing room areas were filthy, with black mould all around the shower areas. There were broken & missing tiles all around the jacuzzi & pool area. Underneath the 4 white sun loungers had not been cleaned for months as there was thick clumps of hair & congealed substances on the floor. We had arrived 2 hours before out treatments were due to use the facilities, however we were struggling to stay as we were horrified at how dirty the place was. NOrmally a spa area should be relaxing with soothing music and nice aromas but the Hilton offered none of this. Sadly there was not even the smell of bleach which was much needed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank alyson t
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Alyson T,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Ocean Rooms Spa at Hilton Glasgow.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with our gym and spa facilities and can assure you that this is not the service and standards we strive to achieve to ensure each of our Spa guests and members enjoy the full benefits of the club.

I have spoken with Richard, our LivingWell Manager, who has advised me that a deep clean of the areas detailed within your review has now taken place, the silicone has been replaced in the shower area and a revised cleaning schedule has been actioned.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback. I do hope that you will return to the Ocean Rooms Spa and allow us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you would expect.

Please do not hesitate to contact Richard on 0141 204 5512 should you wish to discuss this further.

Kind Regards