“So Disappointed”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My wife and I booked into the Hilton as a treat for our wedding anniversary, we arrived on the afternoon of Saturday 31st March and booked in and were allocated room 1916. On approaching the room there was a tray lying outside an adjacent room with dirty plates, cups etc., which remained there until sometime during the night.

When we entered the room I must admit we were both disappointed with the overall size especially with the bathroom which I can only describe as being 2 star standard. The bath was tiny and the in bath shower leaked onto the floor no matter what way you set the curtain.

The furniture and especially the work tops carried scars from years of use and the overall room looked very tired, which was not what you would expect from an Executive Suite.

We dined that evening in the Hotel’s restaurant and selected the only Rose wine from the wine list. The waiter then left to retrieve our wine only to return empty handed and informed us that you had run out of it last night?

We both felt this was very poor service especially since it was the only Rose on the list and that you had a whole day to restock even with an alternative.

The meal itself was from the buffet and carvery which we can only describe as average. It was certainly not the standard expected in a 5 star Hotel.

We retired for the evening after the meal and awoke the following morning to find a letter had been posted under our door which turned out to be a bill for our stay and informing us that we were only booked in for 1 night? This caused much confusion and aggregation especially since I was certain that I had booked for 2 nights.

Eventually I contacted reception and was told to ignore the bill and we had indeed booked for 2 nights?

Breakfast was in a buffet manner which was very poor with the scrambled eggs being dry and the sausages & bacon not appetising in the slightest.

On the second evening we opted to dine out and upon or return we thought we would have a night cap before retiring and walked over and stood at the reception bar. There was approximately 7 people sitting at the bar and several others sitting in the surrounding bar area. There was 5 bar staff on duty who were busy scurrying about and after a couple of minutes one of them came over to us and informed us that, “We are very busy, if you take a seat I will get to you as soon as I can.”

I’m sorry, but there was only 7 people sitting at the bar area and not many more seated in the surrounding area? We were both stunned by this and took a seat and waited for several minutes before giving up and retiring for the evening.

Our overall 1st time experience of staying at the Glasgow Hilton Hotel was not what we expected at all even taking into consideration that there was a major refit being undertaken. The Executive Suite was a major disappointment, the food was average and the overall experience was disappointing.

Having upgraded to an Executive Suite as a treat and staying for 2 nights, we are both of the opinion that the Hilton does not deserve its 5 star rating.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan B

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I booked this hotel for my girlfriends birthday and because I had never stayed at a Hilton
before. After being in the Hilton, it is clear I am paying for the “prestige” of staying in a Hilton.
As soon as I walked into the room, it could easily have been mistaken for a sauna or steam
room. There were no radiators in the room to adjust the heating and the “window” was a
glass pane looking onto the roof of an adjacent building. During the night I got woken up
by the sound of upstairs shower getting turned on (which was similar to the sound of a ship
coming into docks! and it took 10 minutes to get from only the 6th floor down to the 2nd floor.
There were signs saying that the elevators were getting upgraded but it was quicker to get
an elevator going up and then going back down. For the money spent on the room, I have
stayed in much better places for less. There were some positives, the staff were friendly and
accommodating and there was a taxi rank right outside the hotel but all in all, as “prestigious”
as it was staying in the Hilton, think it will be my first and last.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John R
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear John R

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am extremely sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations, in particular your room.

Our bedrooms have an air conditioning unit that supplies both hot and cold air, there is a remote control in each room, so that our guests may control the temperature to their liking. Our reception team are always happy to help advise our guests on how to operate the system. Indeed, our windows on the 6th floor do not open as part of our Health and Safety policy.

Your comments regarding the noise from the room above have been noted and passed onto our engineering department.

On a positive note it’s great to hear of our friendly and accommodating staff and I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this further.

Kindest Regards
Business Development Department
0141 204 5555
Sales.glasgow@hilton.com

Reviewed 1 April 2012

First time stay with friends in this hotel. Very comforable hotel with parking and handy for the motorway. Room size adequate.
Like my recent stays in Hilton Hotels they appear to have a problem with housekeeping. Small items like toiletries, cups, glasses and towels not always in the room. When asked it was a long time in arriving. Could do better

Room Tip: Ask for room 12th Floor and above. Good view of the city
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Jim D,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel ideal for the city centre and touring.

I'm sorry to hear of lack of items in your room and have passed on your feedback to our Executive House Keeper to include in the on-going customer care focus training.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I actually tried to cancel my booking after seeing reviews on this site, but it was non-refundable. However my room was clean and comfortable and on the 12th floor thereby avoiding most of the noise from the motorway slap bang next door. But for a 5 star hotel their eye for detail was missing - broken towel rail in bathroom, broken floor lamp (supported by back of a chair), locked minibar with no explanantion as to why (mind you having seeing the minibar prices this was perhaps just as well), small holes in bed linen, interlocking double doors with room next door, so heard them and they must have heard me, room doors that self shut so everyone lets them bang shut in the middle of the night. Just to make noise levels worse, guests the other side of me, decided to have a blazing argument for a couple of hours. Hotel was very busy on a Saturday night but I caught up on sleep the previous nights.

One lift is still out of action causing queues at peak times particulalry the breakfast/morning check out rush. Breakfast itself was fine and efficiently served. The location is odd for a 5 star hotel - not the prettiest part of Glasgow by any means and the first impression was that the area was not safe at night if walking. In fact it was safe, but the best way to get to the city centre on foot is to turn left out of the hotel, use the path through the small garden, walk down the hill by the busy slip road from the M8 and turn left at the Marriott Hotel and you will be on Argyll Street. Central Station is just 10 minutes walk and Queen Street Station is 20 minutes.

My other tip is to avoid the room internet and wifi connections as these are charged at extortionate rates. I have stayed in 2 and 3 star hotels before and got these facilities free. Pool was fine with clean changing areas. All this being said, I have stayed in much better 5 star hotels and my stay merely confirmed my thoughts that the Hilton chain has lost its way in the competition. I would not stay there again unless there were bargain rates available.

Room Tip: Request the highest floor possible and within your budget (executive rooms are on the 19 & 20 fl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank DavidC302

Dear DavidC302,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear you found your room clean and comfortable however I am sorry for the maintenance issues detailed in your review.I have spoken with my Head House keeper and can confirm that both sets of interconnecting rooms on the 12th floor have been audited this week and have found all maintenance issues resolved.

Hilton Glasgow is consistently reviewing the products and services we offer to our guest. The internet charges are consistent across the Hilton brand, however, I will certainly pass on your comments.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback. All forms of feedback are invaluable in ensuring we maintain our high level of service and standards.

Should you plan to visit Glasgow in the near future I hope that you will return to the hotel and allow us the opportunity to deliver the experience you would expect.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this further.

Kindest Regards,
Business Development Department
0141 204 5555

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I am a regular visitor to this Hilton. The staff at reception are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is being renovated at present but there is not too much disruption. Unfortunately the Cameron restaurant has gone forever - and Minsky will be renovated to make a single restaurant --watch this space. The main problem with the hotel is that it has some noisy rooms --in particular those over the air conditioning towers. -- rooms ending in 2 are the worst.
I will visit again soon.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 2
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Salmon47,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to hear that you are a regular visitor to the hotel and I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our “friendly staff”.

We are now in the second phase of the enhancement programme which will indeed see Minsky’s and Camerons re-branded as one restaurant.

I have noted your comments in regards to the rooms and have passed to our engineering department.

We look forward to seeing you soon,

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just back from a couple of days stay here as it was my sister in laws birthday.We had a lovely room on the 20th floor with fabulous view which enables you to use the executive lounge.We have stayed here on a number of occasions and always book one of the executive rooms as it is definately worth the little extra cost,the girls in the lounge were most courteous and helpful and the food and drink was very satisfactory.
The pool and spa area is good but the changing room was a bit small.
Overall we had a fabulous stay here and will have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: worth upgrading to exec rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Spider226,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed your executive room with its fabulous view.

Your kind comments have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed here on business for a seminar at the hotel. Good facilities, reasonably central location. Good sized, clean and comfortable room. Good selection and service at breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Antho909,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to hear you enjoyed the hotel facilities, your comfortable room and the selection and service at breakfast.

Your comments have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.