“Friendly staff”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed in a family room with my husband and two boys. Room was lovely, spacious and very clean.
Breakfasts were of a better standard than usual at the bigger buffet style affairs. My sons were very taken with the automatic pancake machine!
Swimming pool was lovely, with sauna, etc facilities there (didn't use them) but the pool was a reasonable size - we were the only ones in at one point so felt we had our own private pool - lovely. Our bed was huge and really comfortable, but the boys fold down settee wasn't so great. It was ok but not amazing. Parking is £10 for 24 hours which is probably standard for cities.
Staff all really helpful and friendly. Would stay there again.
Only thing is if driving it can be tricky (or maybe just us!) to find the entrance when coming off the M8.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear theludos,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your family room and found it to be spacious and very clean.

It’s also great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and the swimming pool and found our staff to be friendly and helpful.
I have noted your feedback regarding the sofabed, when your planning your next visit please ask about our double double rooms which offer two double beds, you may prefer this option for the boys.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

There are newer reviews for Hilton Glasgow

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed at the Glasgow Hilton for a couple of nights last week, as the hotel is well placed for visiting the Kings Theatre. Check-in was efficient and friendly and I was upgraded to an executive room,
The lady in charge of the Executive Club was very friendly and helpful - ( a huge difference in attitude since my last visit when unfortunately we had not been treatred well at all!). Bedroom and Bathroom were of a high standard, and breakfast was good.
I'll certainly use the Hilton again on my next visit. The lift replacement programme did not cause any undue problem, but I guess it could be a different story at weekends!

Room Tip: All rooms are of the same size and are well maintained. Higher floors give a good view of the city
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Fantastic hotel within walking distance of City Centre and local attractions. We had an overnight stay here with family and had a lovely time. The staff were friendly and very helpful, especially the receptionist Gayle, who,was a gem, she recommended a fab restaurant for dinner and called them to book for us. She was so approachable and made us feel very welcome and special, thank you Gayle. I would definitely stay here again, excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Elaine T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

I would also like to thank you for mentioning our friendly and helpful staff, in particular, Gayle from reception. We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Lisa,

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Have stayed here on many occasions and have experienced excellence and on occasion much less, however I believe the Hilton may be moving towards reclaiming a place as one of Glasgow’s best hotels.
I have been a guest at least twice in the last month or so and always enjoyed an excellent welcome at reception!

As mentioned previously there is major refurbishment taking place in the public areas, the most recent being the bar which has just been completed.
The jury is out for me on this one, as I did like the fact the old bar had a specific area, which was clearly a bar, with sport on TV etc, with a large more salubrious lounge area leading into the general lobby. This meant the old bar area offered something for everyone. The new bar is pretty much open plan to the lobby.................!!!!

The rooms have all been refurbed and seem to be consistently clean, although I have had some strange experiences recently with non existant, or disappearing soap – The toiletries are generally very good, but on my last two visits – visit 1: no soap at all when I checked into the room – visit 2: when the room was made up on the 2nd day the soap I had been using disappeared and was not replaced?????
There also has to be a question mark surrounding the lifts, which seem to have been getting upgraded for about three years!!
I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but that's how it seems, as I can't remember the last time all three lifts were working.

Had a fire alarm at about 0730 on a recent visit, but this was handled efficiently, and my walk down 18 floors probably did me more good than harm, although it did give me an appetite for the once famous Hilton ‘full Scottish breakfast’, which in recent times seems to have suffered at the hands of the accountants, with much less choice of hot food etc. At one time, it was the best Glasgow hotel breakfast by a mile, and copied by the Hilton chain throughout the UK, but now the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow wins hands down in this area.
Having said that, the Hilton breakfast chef who has been there for many years and who will cook you fresh eggs, poached eggs or even just crisp up your bacon is one of the most obliging employees in the whole hotel, who’s attitude to Customer Service could easily be used as a role model - Thank you sir for your excellent attitude and service!.

All in all I believe the Hilton is making good efforts to reclaim a top spot in Glasgow Hotels and with the public area refurb, a retained focus on Customer Service, and on a personal note, if they reintroduce more choice for the ‘full’ Scottish breakfast, there is no reason why they should not rise up the ratings.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bluemingoodbloke

Dear Bluemingoodbloke,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It is always great to read reviews from our regular guests as this is a true representation of how we are performing.

We really do appreciate our guest’s patience during our public area enhancement including the lift replacement programme.

I have spoken to our Head Housekeeper regarding the lack of soap in your room and this will be included as part of our on-going customer service focus.

Our Hilton Breakfast is consistent across the brand however I will pass on your comments.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our breakfast chef. We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

Once again thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed one night for a 60th birthday celebration and was looking for somewhere special. Overall the Glasgow Hilton came up to expectations.

Location is very convenient for the city centre with easy access off the M8. Car parking was handy and secure with its own entrance in to the hotel. Check in was efficient and the porter service excellent, William seemed very interested in our stay at the hotel and provided a very welcome introduction to the hotel and facilities.

Our room was on the 14th floor and the views over the city were breath-taking. Generally everything was fine with the room apart from a couple of gripes. We were a party of three and were disappointed to find a fold down sofa bed as the second bed, it turned out not to be that comfortable either. You would have thought that if you pay full rate for three adults in a 5 star room that you should get proper beds. Second thing was that the plug in the washbasin would not stay in place so the water kept running out. Other than that the room was fine and certainly no problems with the housekeeping.

Perhaps I should also comment on the wifi charges. In this day and age to charge £15 for wifi is not acceptable. Fortunately there was a good 3G mobile signal so I was able to use my phone to connect to the internet.

The leisure centre was excellent, very clean and well managed.

Breakfast was among one of the best I have ever had in a hotel. Not only was the service excellent but the quality and selection of the food on offer was just what you would expect in a 5 Star hotel with a very attentive chef on duty to cook eggs just the way you want them. The hash browns in particular were outstanding!

Overall the Hilton hit the mark and would have no hesitation in recommending.

Room Tip: The higher level rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Bobsatravellin,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your 60th birthday with us and would like to thank you for the detailed feedback.

I would also like to thank you for mentioning William from the Concierge team personally and our breakfast chef. We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

I do not have the full details of your reservation however I do believe you stayed in one of our family rooms which does offer a sofa bed, we do advise on our website and room description that the maximum occupancy is 2 adults & 2 children.
As part of our on-going focus on products and services we introduced our Double Double rooms in autumn 2011, which are suitable for up to 4 adults.

The internet charges are consistent across the Hilton brand, however, I will certainly pass on your comments.

It’s great to hear you enjoyed our leisure facilities and our breakfast is one of the best!
Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback. All forms of feedback are invaluable in ensuring we maintain our high level of service and standards.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

stayed with my girlfriend for a night, hotel was of a good standard and our room was very clean, the breakfast was lovely and staff were very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Jamie H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to hear you had a good stay and I have shared your comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

My wife and I booked into the Hilton as a treat for our wedding anniversary, we arrived on the afternoon of Saturday 31st March and booked in and were allocated room 1916. On approaching the room there was a tray lying outside an adjacent room with dirty plates, cups etc., which remained there until sometime during the night.

When we entered the room I must admit we were both disappointed with the overall size especially with the bathroom which I can only describe as being 2 star standard. The bath was tiny and the in bath shower leaked onto the floor no matter what way you set the curtain.

The furniture and especially the work tops carried scars from years of use and the overall room looked very tired, which was not what you would expect from an Executive Suite.

We dined that evening in the Hotel’s restaurant and selected the only Rose wine from the wine list. The waiter then left to retrieve our wine only to return empty handed and informed us that you had run out of it last night?

We both felt this was very poor service especially since it was the only Rose on the list and that you had a whole day to restock even with an alternative.

The meal itself was from the buffet and carvery which we can only describe as average. It was certainly not the standard expected in a 5 star Hotel.

We retired for the evening after the meal and awoke the following morning to find a letter had been posted under our door which turned out to be a bill for our stay and informing us that we were only booked in for 1 night? This caused much confusion and aggregation especially since I was certain that I had booked for 2 nights.

Eventually I contacted reception and was told to ignore the bill and we had indeed booked for 2 nights?

Breakfast was in a buffet manner which was very poor with the scrambled eggs being dry and the sausages & bacon not appetising in the slightest.

On the second evening we opted to dine out and upon or return we thought we would have a night cap before retiring and walked over and stood at the reception bar. There was approximately 7 people sitting at the bar and several others sitting in the surrounding bar area. There was 5 bar staff on duty who were busy scurrying about and after a couple of minutes one of them came over to us and informed us that, “We are very busy, if you take a seat I will get to you as soon as I can.”

I’m sorry, but there was only 7 people sitting at the bar area and not many more seated in the surrounding area? We were both stunned by this and took a seat and waited for several minutes before giving up and retiring for the evening.

Our overall 1st time experience of staying at the Glasgow Hilton Hotel was not what we expected at all even taking into consideration that there was a major refit being undertaken. The Executive Suite was a major disappointment, the food was average and the overall experience was disappointing.

Having upgraded to an Executive Suite as a treat and staying for 2 nights, we are both of the opinion that the Hilton does not deserve its 5 star rating.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple