“Impressive one night stay”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is a excellent hotel if you are in need of a one night stay due to a train or plane connection. It is also a hotel that goes the extra touch for Hilton Honors members. We book the breakfast, dinner and room package due to a one night stay. The room was large and quite with a lovely view.

As a Hilton gold member, we were allowed access to the club room on the first floor. Really, they supply enough breakfast items that the breakfast in the dining room would not be necessary. Their spread even included smoked salmon. Note that gold members are given a note in the room for an extra amenity. Be wary of the half bottle of wine. My husband found it undrinkable. However, it is the thought that counts.

The dinner in the package was fine. However, the dining room seems to be a bit noisy due to its construction. Be aware that some items on the menu require an extra supplement if you are on the package rate. However, we found more than enough with the starter, main, and dessert included.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear patsyannie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your one night stay at the Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

It is always great to read reviews from our Hilton Hhonors guests and while we were happy to hear that you did enjoy your room and the Executive Lounge, I am sorry to hear your husband
did not find the wine to his taste. I have noted your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Lisa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,443)

Reviewed 10 June 2012

on first arrival there were some renovations in receptions but they were fairly unobtrusive and quiet, reception staff were lovely and friendly, couldnt do enough to help.
We had upgraded to executive room and the room was lovely with a fantastic view. Very clean. It was my partners birthday, which I had mentioned briefly at reception and they sent up a birthday cake to the room which was a nice touch.
We used the executive lounge which had a good range of food for afternoon tea, canapes at night and breakfast in the morning. Only thing I would say is that it was freezing! Also prob not a wide enough range of spirits if thats what you drink.
The second day we used the spa, the staff hadn't mentioned u needed a £1 for locker and I didn't have one so I went to reception to ask for change, the lady at the desk looked annoyed and just said she didnt have any. Only example of poor service at this hotel. Spa was nice but jacuzzi wasn't very warm and there was green mould behind the loungers but overall a nice relaxing area.
I would definately visit again, this hotel is also in a very central location

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I have just enjoyed a wonderful stay at this hotel. From the moment we walked in the front door to check out was a truly fantastic experience. The staff in this hotel epitomise the description of customer service and take it to a higher level. All hotels should have Hilton staff. Although we are experiencing times of austerity it is great to see established organisations retain the quality they are renowned for.

Room Tip: Room 1706 had quite a good view over the river(downside the river runs under the motorway)
1  Thank thelaughingcow63
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear thelaughingcow63,

Thank you for taking the time to review your Anniversary stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

It’s great to hear of your fantastic experience during your stay and your positive feedback is greatly appreciated by our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Not wishing to write a drawn out and tedious review (although that may be difficult) let me bullet point the issues here, following our visit earlier this year.

* Accommodation - credit where credit is due, bedroom area in room (2011) was beautifully decorated. Bathroom, not so much. With flaking paint and mould around the bath did not entice either of us to relax in the bath. Facilities in here also, i.e the telephone & TV speaker - both out of order - so really what was the point of having these?? (Pictures attached).

* Leisure Club. Clean facilities however, inside one of the ladies changing room lockers had a dried in red liquid. Whether it was nail varnish is yet to be advised, but it looked more like dried blood (Picture attached).

* Restaurant (dinner). With no option apart from a buffet, this wasn't what we expected in a 4 star hotel. I personally would prefer either an A La Carte or Table d'hôte menu, but neither were on offer - really not a standard I would have thought on paying such a high rate.

This wasn't the main issue with the restaurat though. Myself and partner were seated next to a mezanine level in the restaurant, which was two icebuckets held together with a black bin bag to put scraps from diners left overs into. (Pictures attached). To say this put us off our meal is an understatement. So not only did we have to have a buffet meal, personally, I couldn't eat it since I was facing everybody elses leftovers.

By breakfast time, we were seated up on the mezanine level for breakfast, this time, at the other side of the left overs station - therefore, this appeared to be the ongoing standard.

It is fair to say that the hotel appeared to be going through renovations at the time - but is a service station of a black bin bag situated between two icebuckets really a 4 star standard??

* General Facilities :-
1) As this was our Valentines weekend, we requested an ice bucket and 2 glasses to be sent to the room, only to be advised there was a £3.50 "tray charge" for this! For a bucket of ice & two glasses? I'd understand if this was for breakfast or for room service, but seriously?? For a bucket of ice & glasses.....no thanks! Having worked in the hotel industry now for 22 years - I find this completely unacceptable. If the reason is because it's a large hotel and if many guests asked for this facility then it would be more work for staff, then I'm sorry, but as a guest, this wouldn't be my problem!

2) Staying with tray charges, we would have liked to have had breakfast in bed. However, a £6.00 charge PER tray, resulting in a £12.00 charge over and above the dinner, bed & breakfast rate we were already paying was yet again, not acceptable. We would have been happy to pay £6.00 in total, but double the amount! And again, if the reason is that this would be more work for staff...then not my problem!

3) A letter in the room advised that if you were not down for breakfast by 9.30am, then you should expect to queue! So therefore, if you didn't want to queue, you either had to be down early OR pay the £12.00 tray charge for breakfast. So we had no choice but to get up early on the Sunday morning that was meant to be our Valentines weekend! Restful? Not entirely!

4) Iron didn't work properly resulting in water leaking over clothes when trying to use the iron.

5) Remote control for the TV was held together at the back with black sticky tape. Why? Not the kind of standard I'd accept and I would have assumed that spare remotes would held in the hotel and not "fixed" with sticky tape"

* Customer Service (or lack of it)
With all of the above in mind, I wrote, as I was advised to, to the company complaints department (dated 20th February) to "Nattalie Grant, Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" who was based in America, no less - and to this date, I have NEVER received a response.

Becuase of the lack of response from Natallie, I then wrote to "Stacy S. Shearouse - Director - Guest Assistance/HHonors Customer Care" again, based in America as advised, and lo & behold, we are now in June and STILL have not received a response.

Is this how Hilton really treat their customers? I am really disappointed in the standards in Glasgow but above all the so called Customer Care department, which in our minds....quite frankly, couldn't care less!!

So if this is really what you are looking for in a romantic weekend away - then go and book with the Hilton!!

Room Tip: Refurbished bedrooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MerchantMiller

Dear MerchantMiller,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in February at Hilton Glasgow and for the level of detail in your review.

While we were happy to hear your comments on your bedroom , we see there were many things that prevented you from having a positive experience with us.

I have informed our Head Housekeeper with regards your feedback on the bathroom area within your room and can confirm that this has now been remedied.

In regards to the restaurant, rest assured, this is not the level of service that our loyal guests have come to expect from our hotel and we have taken action to ensure it does not happen again.
On a positive note, we are pleased to let you know that we have completed our enhancement programme in Morblas and now offer an A La Carte menu.

We are consistently reviewing our products and services that we offer to our guests, I can confirm that tray charges are standard across the Hilton Brand however I will pass on your comments.

Your feedback has been shared with our management team and all areas detailed within your review will be included in our on-going assessment of product and services.

I have also e-mailed our Guest Assistance team to follow up on your comments regards the lack of response.

We are deeply sorry that you had such a disappointing stay at our hotel and although you’re review is greatly detailed, our Hotel Manager Daniel Van. Wyk , would be happy to discuss your feedback personally.

Should you wish to contact Daniel please call 0141 204 5555 or email Daniel.van.wyk@Hilton.com.

We sincerely hope that you will give us another try and allow us to show you the full level of service and comfort our guests have come to rely on at our hotel

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed for 1 night with wife.The positives were the Spa ,friendly staff,size of rooms,location,breakfast buffet.Had a good stay but a few things annoyed me as this is an expensive 5 star hotel.The dinner is no longer buffet style which was brilliant.The bruscheta was brick hard,had to wait on wine being cooled in an ice bucket?Had fish and chips,Fish when cut wouldnt stay on fork,braking into very small bits,better fish and chips for 4 quid out of Marinis. Scrambled egg at breakfast was like slime,never ate it,rest of breakfast was good.Offered tea and coffee which never came .Asked at bar night before for two drinks,told to sit down and would be brought over,which took twenty minutes.,dont think staff had made cocktail i had asked for before.Have stayed at this Hilton several times.I will use Marriott next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear gerrybrown07,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to read your positive feedback regards the Spa, staff, rooms, location and breakfast buffet, however I am sorry to hear of your experience in our restaurant and bar.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations. Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

In the meantime should you wish to discuss your review further please contact me in the Business Development Department Tel. 0141 204 5555 or email sales.glasgow@hilton.com

Lisa Laverty
Business Development Department

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here this week ( Monday 4th ) for the one night. All I can say is everything was excellent. The staff were very polite and helpful, the hotel itself is in a good location. The room was great, very clean and comfartbale. All for only £58. If I was to stay in Glasgow again, this would be my only choice.

Dear Hayden A,

Thank You for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

It is always a pleasure to share positive feedback with our ream.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

stayed one night in double room. spacious clean and very comfortable.
reception staff very welcoming ( especially Rachael) and helpful.
Breakfast just what i needed to set me up for a hard day at work.
would come back again.
only negative- bar prices- very expensive but no worse than in any other city centre hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business