Hilton Glasgow
Novotel Glasgow Centre(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$117
HotelIndigo.com
US$89
US$65
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Glasgow City Centre(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$114
US$110
HIExpress.com
US$254
US$180
  • Pool
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$92
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
3,578 results
All reviewsthe executive loungecity centreleisure facilitieshigh floorhaggismini barcar parkporridgebreakfast was excellentfamily roomstayed for one nightself servicemotorwayconciergesaunataxislift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Breakfast surpassed any other, by a mile! The accomodation is amazing, comfortable and spacious rooms. Swimming pool is clean and well run, staff are brilliant. Location is great for Sauchihall Street and central shopping in Glasgow. This was our third trip.
This is the best Hilton Hotel we have stayed in, in the UK.

Room Tip: family rooms are spacious and bright.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank fran1208
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Expectations are determined by the perceived quality derived from in the main, the Star Rating.
Had this hotel been advertised as a four star hotel, then I would have been at least happy with the experience. It is however advertised as a five star hotel and as such does not live up to expectations.
There is nothing terrible to report but these are my observations.
On arrival we stopped at the entrance to the hotel in the car in order to make it easier to take our luggage inside. There were five of us. Three adults (One male & two female) and two children.
There was no doorman to be found. First impressions are said to be very important.

The checkin was very smooth.

The rooms are spacious and well laid out.
The carpet in certainly one of the rooms, was badly stained and the coffee table was stained but not so that it could not easily have been cleaned.
The bare minimum of a hospitality tray is to be had. (No biscuits)
Whilst not of great importance to me, the lack of a dressing gown and perhaps slippers is disappointing when you are taking guests.
The breakfast was excellent but the self service introduced for tea and coffee detracts from the overall experience.
The leisure centre is one of the main reasons that I book this hotel. (I have been several times)
Whilst the facilities are adequate they lack the added touches expected in a five star facility.

In summary, we very much enjoyed our stay but we could have enjoyed it more.

Room Tip: As usual, if it is for views, then higher is better.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2012

central reservation totally messed up my booking but Rachael on reception spent time and showed great patience re arranged our 3 rooms to make our stay more comfortable and special.We had a lovely boxing day lunch (21 of us in total) in the newly refurbished restaurant with helpful staff and fabulous food.The rooms although in need of updating were comfortable and clean we will certainly be back and thanks again Rachael for all your help

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights last week. Had a double double room so 2 double beds. Beds were nice and new but bathroom was terrible, cracked sink, grotty tiles. However, staff were really nice, got into our room a bit early. Kids used the pool and it was nice.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gail M
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I must admit, staying here was a bit of ambition and an indulgence....the Glasgow Hilton celebrated its 20th anniversary last month, and I still remember watching it being built when 'I were a lad' back in 1991-92 - but although I had been to it a few times since for functions and the like, I'd never actually STAYED in it. So here I am....

Paid £65 a night for two nights on the Great Getaway promotion (I booked back in September - the normal walk-up rate for a standard room is knocking on the door of £200, on average it's normally £140-£150, so that's one heluva saving..), as I wanted to make it a special trip I paid the £10 extra per night to stay on a high floor - 17 is as high as you can go as 18th-20th are executive rooms and suites. Still - the views are stunning, my window looked eastward back onto the city centre rather than onto the motorway. (you can always walk up to the top of the fire escape staircases to get the highest view anyway for free!) As it was winding down towards Christmas the hotel seemed to be fairly quiet.

First of all finding the place can be tricky - owing to the hotel's location - smack in the middle of the massive 1960s planning disaster that is Anderston Cross - the building is shoehorned in between the M8 motorway and a whole load of grotty old office blocks. Study a road map before you go if you are at all unfamiliar with Glasgow if you are driving to the hotel. Parking is located in the two basement levels, but note that the car park is very small (both in terms of the number of spaces, and how tight it is to drive around!), and if there are no spaces then there are two council run multi-story car parks (Elmbank Street & Cadogan Square) in close proximity - but watch that one way system!! It isn't the most welcoming part of Glasgow city centre at night to walk around either - it isn't unsafe or dangerous by any means - trust me I am a local lad, just it is the middle of the financial district and as a result it's deserted on evenings and weekends.

Check-in was otherwise very efficient, but I was disappointed that I didn't get the same welcome as a Silver Hilton HHonors member that I had in both the Dunblane Hydro, and the Edinburgh Airport Hilton a few weeks ago - I did not receive the two complimentary bottles of water, or the little letter of thanks. I did ask for the water on Saturday evening, and I was told it would be delivered, but it wasn't. I know its nitpicking, but these little touches make all the difference and make the customer feel important - which when paying the headline rates in hotels of this standard - is something you definately want.

Other downsides - there is a bit of tattiness creeping into the rooms, the furniture and decor is still decidedly early 1990s in style. It hides its 20 years well enough (as does the whole building from the outside - it still looks as fresh as it did in 1992), the taps in the bathroom were a bit tatty and the little H+C inserts were missing from them, and the furniture was chipped in places. It seems the renovation budget was blown doing up the lobby, restaurants and replacing the lifts - which are brand new. But as far as the room itself was concerned, the bed was fantastic, the bathroom facilities with shower and bath was all working great, and it was all spotlessly cleaned. As can be expected there is an iron, safe for your valuables but where was the ice bucket and the ice machine in the corridor?? - I thought all big American hotel chains had them!

Ordered the breakfast for one of the two mornings - which at £17.50 per head is pricey if it wasn't part of your rate - always weigh this up if you are going for the advance purchase rates and if you feel you ARE going to use the breakfast facility - book a B&B rate to begin with - it's cheaper in the long run. Other than this the breakfast was up to the usual Hilton standard - with a huge continental and traditional Scottish selection - I always love the haggis option...few other hotels do it. All the staff in the breakfast restaurant were excellent, and took a personal interest in their guests. If I have one criticism, it is that the restaurant area actually doesn't feel like it's in a 5-star hotel....with bare veneered wood flooring and a high, white ceiling it felt like it could be a canteen in a department store.....then again I didn't eat in the main Morblas restaurant, and I didn't get a chance to try out the new Connich bar/bistro - which looked like it had a more cosy feel. Next time hopefully!

I won't moan about the hideously expensive Wi-Fi and bar prices, as it's a Hilton, and that's par for the course. For the former, learn how to use The Cloud, and for the latter - well - BYOB!!

So...was it all worth a 20 year wait? Yes - as far as luxury hotels go it was great. I'd say even a below-par stay in this hotel (provided it was cheap enough), is still superior to paying the full rate in a Premier Inn or a Travelodge. This was a good experience overall, and I will definately come back to do the things I never got to try out like the leisure centre and the restaurant. Just annoyed those little niggles stopped me from giving a 4 instead of a 5.

Room Tip: Pay £10 extra per night to stay on the high floors. Rooms on the east side look over towards grotty 1960s office blocks, west facing is over the motorway.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple