“Reasonable overall, great staff but let down by simple things”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed for my partners Birthday on Sat 11th of January - Check in was quick and efficient, and was offered a King bed rather than booked twin (only option showing under Hilton points) which was a nice touch. However as a Diamond member the Hilton promise is to try and get members to the Executive floor but this didn't happen. (Upon check-in they were selling Executive rooms, so not sure if they missed the fact we were Diamond members, or all the executive rooms had sold out between the cafe where I surfed and checking in 30 minutes later!)

Staff were outstanding at all interaction points. Main areas looked bright, modern and inviting.

Room was nice but we had a view (facing North, approx above the main entrance) of a building site and despite being on the 10th floor the windows did not keep out the noise of that or the M8 spur road. The room was cold, heating turned up full for 3 hours saw no temperature rise. Requested it be looked at and it was. That night we had a warm room, but the air was stale and dry (windows can't open for fresh air) so now I am nursing a chest infection :-(

The executive lounge was excellent. We had a lovely afternoon tea, pre dinner drinks and a lovely breakfast in the morning. Faultless.

Pool was fab for my 2 year old as well as Mum/Dad. Let down by zero heating in male (and I assume female) changing areas. The labels/indicators for on/off and hot/cold were missing from the pool shower taps - As a first time guest (as would be the case for many) meant guessing at a) how to turn the shower on/off (no big deal) b) being scalded by choosing the wrong direction from tepid - worse my 2 year old was with me and could have been hurt, but as I wasn't sure it was only me that got the hot water, thankfully. In the main changing room the show I was in (first on the left) had not knob on the show on/off - so I had to press a metal stub rather than a chrome button, again no big deal just shoddy. When I went to change the bench had dirty trainer marks on it so I a) wouldn't sit down to dry/change b) ended up using my towel to put on the floor as it too was close to filthy. it is obvious that with outdoor shoes and water the tiles will show dirt quickly as do the benches if guests choose to be lax. (Why should you be on your best behavior when you are out to relax may be a reasonable view point) It wouldn't have taken much for a cleaner to be on duty to ensure it was clean - This is not the first comment I have heard form others that have stayed here and used the facilities, so I wasn't expecting more. Whilst in the pool staff offered us drinking water which was a really touch - Now nursing a chest infection I am not sure it might be because the air conditioning is perhaps not operating in an optimal manner.

Would I return again - Not if the experience was repeated. To that end I am off to look for another option for this Saturday night in Glasgow as we have a special 50th Birthday celebration :-)

Room Tip: Go for an executive room to get lounge access or if Diamond try and get the top floors for the view...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear AngusJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I have noted your comments and shared with our team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Lisa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,443)

Reviewed 14 January 2014

After busy Christmas and new year, back to grind of school runs and work last week.... A cheeky night was needed. Having requested a high floor over looking the river rather than the office buildings to the front of the hotel..... All was granted! Booked a queen family room for 2 adults the room was lovely, big bed, Egyptian cotton bedding, large bathroom with fluffy big bath sheets. Room spotless, check in, bar staff leisure staff helpful. Despite the rain being on the 17th floor was amazing. Didn't eat in hotel this time went out on return I wanted a cocktail the barman knew exactly what a caipirinha was and asked if if wanted it British style or properly..... Impressive was a very good one.
Breakfast was excellent and varied selection haggis, black pudding etc. delicious. Used the pool this morning and enjoyed the steam, sauna, and jacuzzi.
My only quibble was that wi fi is not free unless you are in reception and some how they manage to disable the 3G on phone so you either have to sit in reception or pay to use in your room. Minor I know but still we needed to use iPad. Other than that it was just what doctor ordered for a wet Monday night in January! Definitely going back

Room Tip: Ask for high floor overlooking the river
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear deborah P,

Thank you for your great review of Hilton Glasgow.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your Queen room and the views and appreciate your kind comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We came to Glasgow on the last Friday before Christmas to see the Christmas lights in George Square and this year we decided to stay the night so we chose this hotel. The car park was a bit tight but there was enough room for our car to get in/out. The reception area is very snazzy. Our room was on the 6th floor with a view of the Finneston Crane, motorway and Anderston cross to name a few places. The room was spotless and the beds were comfortable. We went out for dinner at O Sole Mio on Bath Street and after walking to George Square in the rain we just returned to the Hotel in a Taxi and had a few drinks from the bar. The morning after, breakfast was good (the scrambled egg was a bit cold though) and afterwards we just headed home after a great night's stay. We'll hopefully be back again another time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Nicole J, Guest Relations Officer at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Steveq ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your pre-Christmas break with us. I really appreciate your feedback and your comments to help improve our guests experience.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stay regularily at this property and always find it most pleasant.
Reception are always efficient, my room upgraded throughout with my Diamond status.
Rooms on a high floor are great although Internet access is problomatic the higher up the tower you go. Great nights sleep is guaranteed!
Dining options are enjoyable with excellent service. £50 per head would be an average per head cost.
The main criticism of this property is the car parking - it's made for people who drive 'smart' cars and not those of us who have SUV's and 4WD's. It's so tight to enter and exit the car park and the evidence of this is on the walls where there's a colour chart of the unfortunates who've hit it.
The Executive Lounge has gone downhill with less choice of food and beverage. It's also spoiled by those who can't afford to buy their own refreshments and feel the need to stash some in their handbags when the staff turn their backs.
Spa is wonderful. Leisure facilities not so much.
I would recommend this property far in advance of other nearby properties.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear TrumpLasVagasNV,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

As a regular guest and a Diamond Hilton Honors member we really appreciate your loyalty and your feedback to help improve guest experience. I am glad you enjoy your stays at Hilton Glasgow , your comments regarding our car park and executive lounge have been communicated to our management team to review.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed from 27th to 29th December. Stayed in a king hilton executive room, with access to the executive lounge. Room was fantastic, as always. Exceptionally clean and the staff were 1st class. Staff in connich were great and good was lovely. Executive lounge, as always, was great, and worth paying that little extra for. Love the hilton Glasgow and would recommend for couples and families. Just what you would expect from a 5* hilton hotel. Already booked to go again.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear funloverscotland,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel.

It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I really value your positive comments about our hotel facilities and our team members , i am happy you got to take advantage of our executive bedrooms with the lounge access.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in January, a family of 2 adults and 2 ten year old boys. Hotel lobby is beautiful and staff were very welcoming. We had a very good sized room with 2 double beds. We used the swimming pool which is a reasonable size. The hotel is walking distance to the city centre but we used a taxi for convenience (taxi rank just outside hotel), which cost about £5 including tip. Breakfast was lovely, loads of variety. We would gladly stay here again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Angela B ,

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us in January.

I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your time at Hilton Glasgow and the facilities we offer , it is fantastic to know you would visit us again.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

The rooms very very modern and clean. We had spa treatments included as part of our stay and my treatment was so relaxing I fell asleep! Treatment rooms themselves are lovely, but the pool facilities are just ok. We ate in the restaurant on our first night and the food was slightly above average. I thought the breakfast at the hotel however was excellent. The hotel is lovely and modern, slightly on the wrong side of town but perfectly safe to walk out of during the day, at night there are taxis outside to jump in. Would stay here again and would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Lisa L, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear mexicotraveller1981,

Thank you for taking the time to review your weekend stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to read your great comments regarding your stay and I have shared your feedback with our team.

Thank you for the recommendation, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.