“Functional but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Functional but nothing special”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Attended a large dinner here and stayed too.
The food at the dinner was indifferent to say the least, and for a chain hotel of this reputation, was not impressive. Service was fine however.
The rooms are not large, although functional.
Considering the proximity to the motorway, the rooms are fairly quiet however.
If staying for a night, then this is fine, but it really is less than overwhelming. Functional, not impressive.
It is also a pain to be charged so much for internet access.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear janey59,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

All forms of feedback are invaluable in ensuring we maintain our high level of service and standards.

Although you found the service at dinner fine I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the food.

I will certainly pass on your feedback to our Executive Chef and his team.

I have also noted your comment regarding the Internet charges.

I do hope we have a future opportunity to welcome you back and deliver the level of product and service you have every right to expect from Hilton Glasgow.

Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Hilton is usually a great chain, and one which I support on a regular basis, but there are a couple of things they need to address. One is charging a ridiculous amount for wifi access, unless you are prepared to lug your laptop down to the hotel lobby, or are lucky enough to be a gold or platinum card hilton honours member,in which case one is provided with a magic code. Other hotel chains charge less for their rooms and provide free wifi access and I suggest it is high time that Hilton Glasgow did likewise.

The other is the condition of the rooms - Room 1207 is desperately in need of a new sink in the bathroom, the surface is badly cracked and worn in at least three different places, and this should presumably have been picked up by the housekeeping staff long before now. The fact that it is in this condition suggests that the reporting mechanism for such problems is in urgent need of review. Not good.

Had I been asked if evrything was OK with my stay upon checking out I would have reported it, but I wasn't, which is both a pity and the beginning of a trend - see my report on Gatwick in October. Showing genuine interest in your guests as they depart costs nothing, and these things can be picked up early, rather than being allowed to fester.

The only highlight was the quality of the breakfast experience, and that includes the cheery Chef, efficient servers, and great food - all excellent.

I look forward to a response - it will be interesting to see if I get one......

Room Tip: Raise the issue of free wifi access - if enough people complain the policy will change.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mawa24
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear MALCOLM W UK,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

We pride ourselves in providing each and every guest with a high quality experience and it seems we have fallen short during your recent stay.

Hilton Glasgow offer free Wi-Fi in our public areas and our Executive bedrooms and Suites. A Hilton Connectivity Station offering 4 PC’S for our guests use, which can be used for everything from conducting meetings to simply printing boarding passes, is conveniently located in our lobby area. Our Wi-Fi access code for this is available from our reception team. Our internet charges are consistent across the Hilton Brand, I will certainly pass on your feedback to our Brand Team.

I have spoken with our Head Housekeeper and Facilities Manger regarding the sink in room 1207 and can confirm that this is included in our on-going maintenance audit and we are currently in the process of working on a remedial action plan.

We always value the opportunity to “make it right” for our guests during their stay. Our Front Desk Staff often get compliments on how friendly and helpful they are so I apologize that the team did not enquire about your stay on check out which would have given you the opportunity to raise your concerns directly with us.

I have passed on your feedback to our Reception Manager who will include your comments as part of our Front Office customer care training.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and have passed on your great feedback to our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Once again thank you for your feedback, should you wish to discuss your review further please feel free to contact me at sales.glasgow@hilton.com or call 0141 204 5555 and ask for Lisa in Business Development.

Belfast
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This is my second review of this hotel. Despite being a keen Tripadvisor reviewer I rarely review anything or anywhere twice. This hotel however is more than worth the effort in doing so. In my last review I said that "this Hilton stands out from the rest of the brand. I found the staff to be very approachable, friendly and willing to spend time with guests. They injected a very hospitable and human element into my wife and my stay. " I mentioned two members of staff in particular who made our so enjoyable. In a repeat I found a further two different members of staff who did the same thing this time round. Gillian on reception and Janine in the Executive Lounge. It goes to show that there is consistency in the high standard of management and delivery of service in this particular hotel. We met a couple in the lounge who have been there 6 times in 6 months so there is a recommendation and a half in itself. Great rooms, comfy beds and a superb breakfast. Couldn't recommend it enough for business or a weekend away. Yet again I can unreservedly recommend this hotel for its comfort, facilities, location and its friendly, welcoming staff. It really doesn't cost a lot more to enjoy the experience of this luxury hotel instead of the nearby budget brands.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth the extra
Dear bjayyy,

Thank you for the great review of your stay at Hilton Glasgow, we really appreciate your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I use this hotel fairly frequently and service here is impeccable, all staff are friendly and helpful and I must say special thanks to the bartender at last visit who made us some wonderful cocktails! Usually pay extra to stay in executive room and although I would still recommend this, due to the changes they have made with only serving beer and wine, no afternoon tea Monday to Friday and horderves not as good in evening I certainly don't think it's as good for your money as it was which is a shame. My only other negative is the pool needed a good clean there was a lot of grit on the pool floor. Saying this enjoyed my visit and have already booked my next stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Laura L
Dear Laura L,

Thank you for your great review of Hilton Glasgow.

It's always a pleasure to share great feedback with our team , so pleased you enjoyed.

We look forward to your next visit.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The Hilton Glasgow is a walk away from the Glasgow Central train station, the centre of town and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
The staff at the hotel are extremely kind and helpful. The rooms are as expected from this star hotel. The view from the 17th floor is well worth the extra £30 for an upgrade.
The breakfasts include an excellent choice of food however the porridge which is made as a large amount is not kept hot enough to apply cold cream, as then it is only just tepid, and sadly there are 2 of the 'do it yourself ' dreaded toasters. Which caused so much waiting and disquiet that the breakfast was cool when you managed to return to it.
Room service was satisfactory and the greek salad was well presented and a good healthy option. However a small bottle of Champagne from the mini bar was a little over priced at £19.95.
I know times are hard but it is a sad relfection that the Hilton (and I have been to a few) cannot provide a biscuit to have with the tea and coffee facilities and free WI FI.
I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank valerieM904
Dear valerieM904,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear of your enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Just back from a one night stay . Had double double deluxe room for family of 4 . Couldn't fault hotel. Very spacious, airy and clean. Staff very friendly and efficient. Food good. Lewis at the bar made us some great cocktails . Hope to return soon.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Audrey S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your one night stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and would also like to thank you for mentioning Lewis personally. We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

I am also delighted to hear that you hope to return soon and we look forward to your next visit.

Taif, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Usual good service and nice clean well stocked rooms. stayed in executive suite with access to lounge, disappointed as choice of drinks have diminished and food not the same as past years cost cutting maybe??

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Robbie G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to read your comments on our good service and well stocked rooms.

I have noted your feedback regarding the Executive Lounge. We are consistently reviewing the products and services we offer to our guest and I will certainly pass on your feedback to our Food and Beverage Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.