“Road noise”

Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Poole, United Kingdom
“Road noise”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here with work arriving late. Hard to navigate to by sat nav but concierge really really helpful. Got there no problem. But as I have acute hearing the road noise was an issue a minor one but took the edge off.

Advice to ask for room not facing the main road. View is less spectacular but better nights sleep likely.

Room Tip: Ask for side opposite main road.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear PadiP,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for your kind comments regarding our concierge.

Above all else, we understand that a restful night’s sleep is very important to our guests, and we are so sorry to hear that you did not sleep well due to the road noise.

Please get in touch with us next time you are visiting Hilton Glasgow and we will ensure to allocate a city view room.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Turkish first
Cheshire
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked afternoon tea for a party of 20 people at the start of March. Being a slightly larger group than the hotel normally gets for afternoon tea, we were seated in a section of the restaurant, separate to the main reception/bar area. This was ideal as it was quiet and we weren't disturbed.

Once everyone had arrived, one of the staff came out with a chest of teas and went around the room so everyone could choose their tea of choice. So far so good. However, we were then really quite surprised to be simply given a teacup and a teabag, rather than the tea being served in teapots. Instead hot water was brought in china pots and everyone expected to make tea in their own cup. This took quite a while as there appeared to be only one staff member of staff bringing out the water.

The tea made, we then awaited the food. However, nothing was forthcoming. We waited over half an hour before any food was brought out. This was rather a shame as by then the tea had either been drunk or gone cold.

The cakes and sandwiches when they arrived were superb. Possibly we would have preferred slightly more sandwiches and less cakes, but that really is a minor quibble. Can't fault the food that was served, but there was no tea left to go with it. The staff did bring out more pots of water on request, but as the teabags had been already used it would make weak tea at best.

Have to say I was expecting rather more from The Hilton. The cakes were lovely, but the lack of teapots, shortage of tea, and the slow service was very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear aaron95,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of afternoon tea in Ti Tea Lounge at Hilton Glasgow.

Although I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the cakes and sandwiches I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the lack of tea and service you received, please be assured this is not the standard of service we strive to achieve at Ti Tea Lounge.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the team and have passed on your review to our Food and Beverage Manager to share your feedback with the team and include as part of their on- going training in customer care.

Please feel free to contact our team at fb.glasgow@hilton.com , subject: Tripadvisor, should you wish to discuss your review further.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Glasgow in the near future.
Business Development Team
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Staying for two nights only. efficient service comfortable room. restaurant a bit open and dark but food fine. Was central to my business meeting so main reason for choice. No big issues - Hilton is Hilton

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Nicole J, Guest Relations Officer at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear SurgMac,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

We vaule your feedback and your comments have been passed to our management team.

I hope to have the opprotunity to welcome you back in the furture.

Scotland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here with my girlfriend, we paid extra for the 5 star experience and I'm still trying to fathom exactly what that is.

The staff at reception were nice and friendly, as people in Glasgow tend to be, You'll get a kicking but they'll help you up afterwards!

We stayed in a King Delux room, which I found incredibly dated. There were also a few stains on the carpet and the bed sheets had not been ironed. Now I'm not one of those chaps that whines on about things like that but for the price of 5* you expect a bit more.

I also phoned to enquire about room upgrades three times and was told three contradictory pieces of information - however this (unlike the bed sheets) was ironed out in the end.

Based on ease, price and location I would go for the Grand Central

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hassay2Gassey
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Hassay2Gassey,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

While I am happy to hear your feedback on our friendly reception staff, I see there were some areas mentioned in your review that prevented you from having an overall positive experience with us.

I have forwarded your feedback regarding your room to our Executive Housekeeper to review with the team. I am also sorry to hear about the confusion when you were enquiring about room upgrades however I am happy to hear it was resolved.

Thank you again for sharing, while we regret to learn that you would have a different choice of hotel in mind for your future stays, I hope you will consider us again.

We would very much look forward to a future opportunity to welcome you back and deliver the level of product and service you have every right to expect from Hilton Glasgow.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Should really rate Hiltons in their own category as the standard is always good to very good. This was a nice hotel, very friendly staff. Room was clean and of a good standard. Very comfortable bed and a quiet night sleep was had. Only a few items to mention that could be improved.

The in room wifi was abysmal. We couldn't stay connected for more then 10 minutes before you were dropped. Complaining didn't solve much as we were told BT was called to fix something (which wasn't fixed - the next day it was just as bad). The cost was removed from our bill which was nice, but having in room wifi was pretty important to us so this was a let down. We've had similar wifi problems in other Hiltons as well, wonder why?

We did not opt for a paper in the morning, yet every morning we received one which we had to return to the front desk. A mix up of some sort.

The buffet breakfast was fantastic - go for the cooked breakfast which was absolutely delicious. Eggs (scrambled and fried), sausages, bacon, haggis, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomato, potato scone, hash browns - great stuff! Made to order omelets, cold meat and cheese, cereal, everything you'd expect. Only complaint here is the Sat morning the place was heaving with families, line to get in was long, and the atmosphere was chaotic. I don't think they were prepared for so many people.

Had room service at about midnight. They didn't have the onion rings which were marked as being available on the 24hr menu, so a bit disappointed in that. The pizza was so-so, fries were good, Came quickly and was very hot.

All and all it was a good stay - I'll give it a very good as all Hiltons are all usually very good. Had we had good wifi it may have been excellent. Please look into the in-room wifi service.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up will have good views of Glasgow.
Dear FreqTrav99,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and value your feedback. Hotel internet is a project we have been working on recently and has now been improved since your stay with us , this is now a service which is now provided complimentary for all our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Lockerbie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I've delayed my review of this hotel which I stayed in last Saturday night to give the 'operations manager' of the hotel some time to deal with my complaints. A week later and I've heard nothing, I feel as though you've had ample opportunity to process and investigate my issues.

I am Hhonors Diamond member which entitles me to a space available upgrade. Despite my profile being available to the check in assistant, no mention was made of an upgrade until I asked. I was told I could have double points instead, NO THANKS, I'll take my upgrade. Despite it being available that night, as clearly indicated on their website, I was not given my upgrade. I've added a photograph below so everyone can see the upgrade was available at the time of check in. I was even charged for the bottles of water put in my room. Obviously, I had these charges removed.

We arrived pretty late, we were there for a night on the town. Would you believe we were disturbed in our room and told not to talk, it was disturbing other guests. If the sound proofing is so bad in your hotel that one cannot hold a normal level conversation at any time of the day or night, then you need to revisit your 'cheap' rooms. Perhaps if they had honoured the promised upgrade, it might have been better. I've stayed at EVERY single type of room in this hotel in my day. There is no way this is a five star property except for the ridiculous prices charged in the bar! Don't even take a single drink in this hotel, you will feel ripped off!

The room was basic, clean and tidy, they amenities are basic, think Holiday inn express! The bathrooms are also very basic, shower over bath etc. Just not good enough for an alleged five star property.

I usually have breakfast in my room and now I remember why I do. Breakfast the next day was a shambles. A ten minute wait just to be plonked down at a half cleared table. The host at the breakfast reception was pleasant and tried to make a joke out of the wait. We were fine with waiting until, eventually, we were abandoned at our table.

No plates! I had to go ask for them, five star or no star? Where else would you need to ask for a plate! The food was just ok, I was told by the ops manager they did over five hundred breakfasts that morning. Big whoop! I said, better 50 done well, than 500 done in the manner they did that morning.

The atmosphere in the hotel is not welcoming, again, not a five star welcome. Not good enough.

Lastly and the biggest disappointment is the lack of care, and I am considered a 'top customer' in their eyes, being at the Diamond level of hhonors. I can't imagine how they treat joe blogs off the street! You've been warned, don't chance it, don't waste your money, don't end up disappointed!

Go elsewhere!

Room Tip: My only tip would be to choose a different hotel, if you do end up there, don't take any nonsens...
2 Thank John P
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Pr0fessi0nalC0uple,

Thank you for your taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for getting in touch.

It was great to have the opportunity to discuss your review in further detail and be able to resolve the areas detailed within your review.

All Tripadvisor reviews are shared with our management team to ensure that collectively we are listening to our loyal guests feedback.

Once again I apologise for the lack of service you received during and after your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Glasgow.

scotland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the hilton concierge staff very good as we're the
Reception staff room was nice but I can understand given the size of bathroom why
They don't have a separate shower the bed was comfy but the quilt was pathetic as thin as a sheet tried the food in the bar was good but expensive breakfast was excellent my only gripe on our last night their was a private function on I felt that the staff in the bar were more interested in sieving the private function guests And ignored the hotel guests to make matters worse we the couldn't pay cash as by the time we got served it was 5 to midnight to had to charge to our room no big deal just annoying If you want a good steak go to grill on the corner delicious and if you want a laugh then a night at the comedy stand tickets on line but get their early as it's very busy I think next time we go to Glasgow we will try the marriot as it practically next door to the hilton

Dear Shirls666,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

We do appreciate your feedback to help improve our guests experience. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused at the bar during your time in the hotel your comments have been communicated to our management team to review.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the furture.