“Very nice, but not 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very nice, but not 5 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel was really nice, staff really friendly but it just didn't have that 5 star wow factor.

Check in was friendly but very rushed, I appreciate a fast check in but wasn't given the chance to take in times and directions.

The room was a queen room, lovely bedroom felt recently redecorated, nice features and bed but what really annoyed me was no plug sockets next to bed!!! I'd expect at least 1 on each side these days.

Bathroom felt very dated and had a few faults - the mirror was old and not an electric no mist one which a lot of hotels have and I'd expect in all 5 star. The toilet flush bounced off the too of the cistern, every time you flushed it either didn't flush right or it bounced the lid. Shower was awesome power and heat wise but the bath had a nasty chip in it, the drain in it was very slow draining - post shower the water was past my ankles...

Can't comment on the leisure facilities as we didn't use them but the bar opposite reception was lovely, nice atmosphere and staff were fantastic, a special mention to Holly for her expertise in cocktail making!

Breakfast was lovely, very wide selection, fresh and tasty!

Overall a really lovely time but just didn't have that 5 star perfection I'd be expecting.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arob87
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear arob87,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear overall you enjoyed your time at the hotel, however I can see from your feedback that there were a number of areas where we have fallen short during your stay.

As with all Tripadvisor reviews your feedback has been shared with our Management team who will include your comments in our on-going review of products and services that we offer to our guests.

I am delighted to read your feedback regarding your lovely breakfast and our fantastic staff, in particular Holly. We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Glasgow in the near future.

Kind regards,
Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Turkish first
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Most of the negatives are from this hotel's US style of doing things. The rooms are unnecessarily large. I would rather they had smaller rooms, with smaller room rates, and a more luxurious bath. Internet is extra (£15!), which is shameful. Hilton refuse to live in the 21st century on this (as do several US hotels). The food is far to expensive. £25 for the lamb dish, with over-cooked potato rosti, is too much. Breakfast does not have fried eggs - scrambled eggs. Overall, absolutely fine if your work is paying, but bad value for a paying customer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Nicole J, Guest Relations Officer at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear John Y ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We vaule your feedback and all your comments have been communicated to our management team .

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel is decent, but it just doesn't compare to other 5 star hotels in the area. The staff were all very nice and helpful from the beginning to the end of our stay. Our room was ok, large bed, however what really grates me is no plugs by the bed. So the alarm clock radio and phone chargers are across the room. Some of the decor was tired looking e.g. peeling paper on the walls. We ate on the first night and the meal was nice but it too far too long to come. However we were appeased by a glass of rioja on the house. The breakfast is really good, despite it being a busy hotel there always seems to be room and there was never any long queuing times. I did expect to see a menu however with cooked options, e.g. eggs benedict, omelettes and the likes. We used the leisure facilities which were ok but the changing areas did really need a clean. Also there were refreshments around the pool but no glasses to serve the water in. What was a let down was having a shower after a swim and there to be only one plastic tub of shower gel/shampoo/conditioner. A 5 star hotel in my opinion should offer these separately. I used the hair salon and was most pleased with my haircut and the lovely hairdresser however the seats that clients have to sit in are ridiculous. They are not hairdresser seats that go up and down and the hairdressers are expected to bend right down to cut your hair, surely this must be bad for health and safety and should be addressed? I also had to stand up for some of my cut so that the hairdresser could cut it properly. I really hope they get better seats to make it a more comfortable experience for all! We found the internet connection to be unreliable and whilst the complimentary access was welcome, it would have been better if it had worked for more than a few minutes at a time. The location is good and town is easily accessible as is the beginning of the west end.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear massie-le,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to read of our nice and helpful staff, good breakfast and location.

I have shared your comments regarding the room wallpaper with our Maintenance Manager who will include in our on-going remedial works.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal however sorry that it took longer than you expected.

Our breakfast chefs are always more than happy to offer alternative dishes like eggs benedict and omelettes should our guest’s request this.

I have also shared your feedback regarding the pool and hair salon with our Livingwell Manager and The Ocean Rooms Spa Manager to include as part of their on-going review of products and services offered to our guests.

Thank you again for sharing, we would very much look forward to a future opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I kept toing and froing between the Hilton and the Novotel - and ended up going for the Hilton. I usually do stay in the larger chains - I was in Glasgow for 3 days on business and picked this hotel mainly for both its pool and suites.

Check-in was great - could even understand the very toned down Glaswegian accent. Everything in Glasgow seems to be very dark - and so was my room - but it was very spacious and had a great view. Breakfast leaves nothing to be desired - even the coffee is more or less OK. My stay happened to coincide with a very large conference and I did admire how the hotel was able to cope at its limit.

The gym is always very important for me - and the hotel doesn't disappoint - the gym is however a normal gym that the guests may use - so some people may or may not like the fact it is busier than your typical hotel-only gym.

I very much enjoyed the room-service - and thankfully it was available late at night as my work-days tend to be very long.

My one big reservation is the hotel's location. It isn't immediately clear what the best way to walk would be - and there is a lot of building work going on right now. One does feel rather isolated (compared to some other hotels) so walking into town with your typical Glaswegian weather isn't usually much fun.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear SPG_JJ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am delighted your enjoyed the hotel and the facilities we offer , I am sorry you were disappointed with our breakfast . We do value your feedback and your helpful comments have been communicated to our management team.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is our 2nd visit to this hotel; we didn't review the first [unsure why]! We checked in not long after 3pm on Saturday afternoon, room was on the 6th floor facing the M8; good views out towards River Clyde, no noise from the busy motorway. Location is around a 10 min walk to Sauchiehall Street / Bath Street area and a further 10 mins to George Square so easily accessible no matter which end of town you are going. Room had everything you required for your stay; comfy reading chair; desk and telephone, bed was not the worst we have had, pillows however were a little on the soft side [could just be personal preference]. Breakfast was exceptional could have eaten it ten times over; really well laid out and you couldn't want for anything! Check out was fast and efficient considering it was a busy Sunday morning, we cannot wait to revist

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear anjip_3,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel and in particular our Hilton Breakfast.

We really appreciate your positive comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back

Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Came to the Hilton for a charity ball. This included a three course meal.

The meal itself I couldn't fault, except for the mixed styles presented: Chinese spring roll with hot sour sauce and cress to start, followed by balmoral chicken, then cheesecake with sorbet. All good individually, but maybe not as a whole. Anyway, all we'll cooked with great presentation.

The negative side to this is the unnecessary prices. The rooms were expensive for what was on offer; standard holiday in style. The drinks at the bar were ridiculously expensive. Gin & tonic was £6.20. Pint if tennents lager, £5. Yes, £5. And the staff behind the bar were also not quite co-ordinated, and the service was not on the ball. Didn't see the facilities, so cannot comment.

All in all, a less expensive hotel could have provided better service.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ElCartoharvetta
Dear ElCartoharvetta,

Thank you for taking the time to review your evening at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal at the Charity Ball however I am sorry to read your comments on the prices and bar service you received.

I have noted your comments regarding the service at the bar and shared them with our Food and Beverage Manager to include as part of our ongoing customer care training.

I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed here on business. Room had not been cleaned properly. With thick dust on sockets and trimmings. Dirty, sticky stain on the carpet next to the bed. £4.50 for a Mars bar-outrageous! Took ages to check out with a member of staff constantly hoovering right by reception. Did not separate invoices as I had upon check out which then caused a queue for my other colleagues. Very inefficient.
Would not choose to stay here through choice, that's for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank minihifi
Dear minihifi,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

We pride ourselves in providing each and every guest with a high quality experience and it seems we have fallen short during your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for the lack of cleanliness, you described in your review, regarding your room. This is unacceptable.

I have passed on your feedback to our Front of House Manager and Executive Housekeeper to include as part of our ongoing review of products and services that we offer to our guest.

While we regret to learn that you would not choose to stay with us through choice in the future, I do hope you will consider us again. We would very much look forward to a future opportunity to welcome you back and deliver the level of product and service you have every right to expect from Hilton Glasgow.

Kind Regards,