“Expected much more”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Reception was not very impressive as at the registration the staff took more than 20mins. And they see not bothered at all. Rooms definitely needs a urgent refurbishment too. Bar was good and the restaurant was great as well even though the service is slow again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Dilith J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am sorry to hear that the service you received by our Reception team did not meet your expectations. Our Reception team often get compliments on how friendly and helpful they are so I apologize that the same quality service was not extended to you during your check-in.

I have noted your comments regarding the room decor and service in the bar and restaurant and have shared this with our management team to include as part of our on-going review of products and services that we offer our guests.

Thank you again for sharing and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Glasgow

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Had another good stay in this hotel having been several times before. As ever the welcome and facilities are flawless but where were the concierges? Not on view when I arrived. Underground car park great and as secure as can be. Room very comfortable. Did not dine here - I didn't like the new Morblas restaurant last time around. Previously there was a great carvery which was very family friendly but the new restaurant is clearly trying to be a fine dining experience which I did not care for. And you cannot see what you are eating because the lighting is so poor - almost eating in the dark. Bring back the carvery - it was much better - both the food and the value. Breakfast fortunately has not been subjected to quite such a radical makeover but I really detest having to get my tea and coffee from a machine. Why are there no teapots or coffee pots? I do not like my tea being made in the cup . This is not worthy of a high class establishment and smacks of penny pinching. The staff were as helpful and pleasant as ever. It was great to be greeted by the chef who was making the omelettes like an old friend. Proper Glaswegian hospitality. I will be back I hope but I really hope that someone in the management does something about the restaurant and buys a few teapots and cafetieres.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear yetitraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to hear you have had another good stay and I will certainly pass on your comments regarding Morblas to our management team to include as part of our on-going review of products and services.

I am pleased to say we have recently introduced a three course Market menu alongside our A La Carte menu in Morblas Seafood and Grill and do hope this would be something you would have the opportunity to try on your next stay with us.

Regarding our breakfast service, our team are always more than happy to serve our guests tea and coffee to their table, should they prefer. Our coffee machines offer our guests a great range of fresh options from a cappuccino to double espresso and a wide selection of teas.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights on business! Did feel hotel was a bit tired and deco a bit dark - this wasn't helped by dirty windows which I've noticed throughout hotel. Never been in a 5-star hotel which did not give you slippers or a robe! Room was large and bed extremely comfortable with lovely linen of really good quality! Personally I hate automated mini bars as I like to be able to put personal items in a fridge! Not had a chance to see much in hotel but breakfast is lovely and good choice. In terms of location - not so nice looking on to a motorway and getting back at night on my own is not something I would be happy to do on foot!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ewangillian

Dear ewangillian,

Thank you for taking the time to review your 3 night stay at Hilton Glasgow.

Although I am happy to hear you enjoyed your breakfast, I am sorry that there were some areas mentioned in your review that prevented you from having an overall positive experience with us.
Slippers and bathrobes are available as a request upon arrival or can be requested at check-in, we always encourage our guests to mention things like this to our front desk, as there is always a team member available to assist you at all times to improve or modify any situation.

There is an on-going development opposite the hotel called the St Vincent Plaza, there are plans to build a public realm that will offer our guests an alternative pedestrian route to and from the hotel.

Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

booked this hotel with honors points and cant speak too highly of help from a lady from Texas on the customer service centre when I had some trouble working it out.When we arrived decided to upgrade to executive room and this was handled very efficiently by reception .The executive room wasn't a lot different from the normal but the benefits of the executive lounge with canapés and drinks etc made it very worth while for a special treat.The hotel is well located and ideal for a night out in Glasgow.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear dookers,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your compliments on our service and location.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

When you book with Hilton, you can register for a last-minute upgrade, and I was lucky enough to be upgraded to an Executive room which also meant I could use the Executive lounge. If I hadn't been upgraded, I'd have been feeling this hotel was very expensive for what you get, but if you make the most of the lounge - for example, in the afternoon, there were sandwiches, scones and puddings including cremes brulees - it feels better value. My bed was comfortable, and the usual extras like slippers and bath robes were welcome. Though it feels stingy to have only one bar of soap, which you have to swap from bath to sink and back again.

As other reviewers report, breakfast in the dining room is a bit hectic, and plates - and thus food - are sometimes cold, or options have run out and not been restocked, but there is a wide range to choose from, and it's tasty. At peak times it's hard to squeeze past other tables to get to your own, and some tables are quite a long way away from the buffet. I also ate in the Morblas Restaurant - it seems to aim for high standards so expect your dishes to look refined and don't expect huge portions. I enjoyed the unusual flavours of the food I chose. The staff throughout are friendly, and I thought the Concierge services were especially good - maps, advice, and loading people into and out of taxis. The computer in the Executive room wouldn't print, but there were four in the main lobby for guests to use, including an Apple, and it was easy to check in to my flight and print my boarding card. The hotel wifi was a bit wobbly - it would come and go rather annoyingly.

My main beef about the hotel is its pedestrian access - they really don't seem to expect people to want to walk there, and it is surrounded on two sides by motorway, so I had to negotiate boarded-up commercial buildings, service entrances and no entry signs to get there from the centre of town. I do think you could spruce this up for your "greener" customers, Hilton - we don't all have cars or want to use taxis, but the pedestrian route is very unwelcoming!

Room Tip: the top three floors are the Executive rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear GardenerLondon_uk,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It’s great to hear you were able to take advantage of an upgrade to an Executive room and the facilities of our Executive Lounge.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your room however I have noted the comments regarding your soap. We always encourage our guests to mention things like this to our front desk, as there is always a team member available to assist you at all times to improve or modify any situation. Our Housekeeping department are always happy to supply additional toiletries for our guests.

I have noted your comments regarding breakfast and Morblas Restaurant and shared this with our Food and Beverage Manager.

I am sorry to read you felt the location was not pedestrian friendly , our Concierge team are always happy to help guests with directions to and from the hotel and can be contacted on 0141 204 5555.

On a positive note there is an on-going development opposite the hotel called the St Vincent Plaza, there are plans to build a public realm that will offer our guests an alternative pedestrian route to and from the hotel.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was a return visit to the Hilton so we knew what to expect and the visit lived up to our expectations.
The hotel is well situated for many of Glasgow's attractions and within walking distance of the city centre, the staff we had contact with were more than helpful although service at the bar can be slow at busy times but there is a good atmosphere and selection of drinks.
The car park is a real bonus with on site parking for £12 per 24 hours which is good for a city centre location.
We did not use the fitness centre hence no comment to make.
There is a good selection at Breakfast, it is all buffet style and as a consequence the hot food is not always as hot as it could be but the quality is fine.
We thought the evening meals to be expensive and much better value can be had in the surrounding area restaurants.
Whist the hotel is situated at the side of the M8 motorway the rooms are well sound proofed and noise is not an issue, however the higher the floor the better.
We will not hesitate to stay at the Hilton again when we next visit Glasgow.
For anyone visiting Glasgow for the first time we would suggest taking the open top bus tour as it is by far the best we have had both in terms of content and value.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MSPChesterfielduk,

Thank you for taking the time to review your return visit at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to read your compliments on our service, product and location.

All Tripadvisor reviews are shared with our team and we will certainly include your feedback in our on-going review of services and product that we offer our guests.

It’s great to hear you would choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Glasgow and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the last 6 years and 3 times already this year!
The reception staff are fantastic and always go out of their way to help if at all possible. The high turnover of staff in the bar and restaurant area seems to lead to errors and poor service which lets the hotel down.
The rooms are comfortable and spacious enough although some of the decor is looking a little tired, especially in the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor away from the lifts if you want something quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Hilary S

Dear Hilary S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It is always a pleasure to receive reviews from our loyal guests and we appreciate your kind comments regarding the reception staff.

I have noted your comments regarding the bar staff and bedroom decor and shared this with our Food and Beverage Manager and Facilities Manager who will review with their teams.

Thank you again for sharing, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.