“Summer sale - executive room!”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #32 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
motherwell
“Summer sale - executive room!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just returned from a fabulous night at the Glasgow Hilton, got a great deal for an executive room in the summer sale. This included access to the executive lounge where we were treated to afternoon tea, and later in the evening drinks and nibbles. Yes, I agree with previous posts that drinks are limited and if you prefer spirits then these are not available. However, I disagree that the quality of wines and beers are poor! The dry white was excellent and there was kronenburg, carlsberg and cider (stella artois) on offer. We were pleasantly surprised at breakfast to find there was hot food available as we presumed there would only have been a continental option.
Our room on the 18th floor was lovely and spotlessly clean.
The staff are a credit to the hotel, everyone was very pleasant, each one met you with a smile. Emily on reception was one the most welcoming receptionists we have came across!
All in all a five star night!

Room Tip: Go for an executive room if you can get at a good price. The lounge is well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Azzagazza,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear you were able to take advantage of our Summer Sale and to read your positive feedback, in particular your kind words regarding Emily on reception.

It's always a pleasure to share positive feedback with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Turkish first
Gurnee, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As always the Glasgow Hilton gives quality and service in a way that promotes a feeling of relaxation and comfort. The staff members are always helpful, attentive and effective, contributing to the customers’ total care.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Eric T ,

Thank you for the great review of your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for your kind comments regarding our service and team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Balfron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed for the Saturday night as attending Wedding Anniversary lunch and Eric Clapton at the Hydro.
Had a special offer including King Size room and use of Leisure an Executive Lounge
The deal also included afternoon tea than canapés and drinks all free gratis
Cooked breakfast in the morning was very civilised with no queuing up and great selection on offer
Staff were all very friendly and couldn't do enough when asked
Credit to the hotel Will definitely be back and would hopefully get the same deal as it's tremendous value

Room Tip: We were on 18th floor and the view is amazing
Dear Donny M,

Thank you for the great review of your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

It's great to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel and to hear you would stay with us again.We look forward to seeing you very soon.

London, England
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, the staff are excellent and very friendly. The room was good, clean and quite big. Breakfast was amazing. I would definitely recommend this place and will stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Tajine,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

We appreciate your kind feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mocksville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Glasgow HIlton is a great place to stay while overnighting in Glasgow as we were while heading for the Highlands. Updated and in excellent shape the room was furnished beyond expectations. The only down side is that it is not located conveniently to a lot of city attractions, which for us was not a problem as we were only overnighting, it was a quick trip to the train station.

Room Tip: Be prepared to have twin beds if you want to keep the rates down, it is a bit pricey.
Dear DaveB59_53,

Thank you for taking the time to review your overnight stay at Hilton Glasgow and for your kind comments.

I do hope you will have a future opportunity to come and stay with us again.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I slept at this property for 2 nights while attending a conference. The front staff was really helpful and I did not have any problem checking in, even though I was a very late arrival at around 2 am. The hotel convention facilities are great, and so was the breakfast buffet. My room was spacious, clean and seemed to have been recently updated. All in all, a very convenient accommodation close to the city center.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Daniel025,

Thank you for taking the time to review your 2 night stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and room.

We have recently refurbished our meeting and conference space, it's great to read your positive feedback.

I do hope you will have an opportunity in the future to come and stay with us again.

Wales
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Having always stayed in other hotel chains' properties on other visits to Glasgow, my wife and I decided to make the most of our newly allocated Hilton Honors Diamond member status by staying in the Glasgow Hilton at the end of May. So would we recommend this hotel or stay in this hotel again - well, it must be said the jury is still out ...

Positives :

1) Location - I would describe this hotel as being in the western most point of the city centre, but once you knew your way the whole of the central city area was pretty much walkable. Better than this though, it was very convenient for the SSCC Hydro, which we went to see The Eagles at on the Saturday night, and was a pleasant 20 minute stroll from the hotel. One thing I would say is that it is quite difficult to suss out exactly how to get into the hotel the first time you get there, so I would recommend getting a taxi from the airport if it is your first visit. There was an excellent Wetherspoons (Edward G Wylie) just around the corner from the hotel.

2) Rooms - even though we weren't upgraded (due to the hotel being fully booked because of two weddings being held there on the Saturday), our King Deluxe room had obviously been refurbished, and was very clean and spacious. Okay, the view from the window was of the M8 motorway, but we were sufficiently high up for noise not to be a problem. A good standard of room befitting their 5 star status

3) Breakfast - as a general rule Hilton does the buffet breakfast very well, and this was no exception - loved the haggis as part of the "Full Scottish" !!

Negatives :

1) Customer Service - although we can't say the staff were rude or deliberately unhelpful, we did not feel that the level of customer service was anyway near what we have come to expect from the Hilton brand. A good example of this was the broken safe in our room; we discovered the in-room safe was jammed shut when we first got to the room on the Friday night, and could not be reset, so when we went out on the Friday night we asked reception to get it sorted. Nothing done by the time we came back, so we reported it again on the Saturday morning before going out ... and then on the Saturday evening when we got back prior to going out again ... and yes, when we checked out on the Sunday, the aforementioned safe was still firmly jammed shut, with no word from the hotel whether it had been looked at or not. This kind of typified the general lack of attention to detail with the customer service that a hotel serious about its 5 star billing should not allow to happen....

2) Executive Lounge - had seen other Hilton Honors members kicking off about the downgrade of this facility, and I must now add our voices of dissatisfaction to this, as it did prove to be something of a "final straw" after the in-room safe debacle. Now, I must qualify my criticism of this facility by saying that over the years the Executive Lounges in Hiltons around Europe have proved to be one of the major differentiating factors for us chosing the Hilton brand over Mecure, IHG or Marriott hotels, and we find it a really good perk that does sway our choice of who to give our loyalty to. Thus when we visited the Lounge on the Saturday evening for a quick pre-gig drink, we were somewhat unimpressed with what we found - the canapé and food options were quite pitiful compared to other Lounges we have been to, the place was dark and uninviting on the ground floor (apparently it was much better when it was on a higher floor in the hotel) and worst of all, there was only beer and wine for the alcoholic options - and the cheapest possible beer and wine at that. I only drink spirits, so seeing the bottles of tonic and bitter lemon in the fridge I thought it only logical that if I asked nicely (as a Diamond member) the staff would be able to serve me a gin or vodka instead... I was to sorely disappointed as I was abruptly and forcefully told by one of the staff that if I wanted spirits I would have to go the main hotel bar and buy it myself. Nice to see how much Hilton valued my loyalty !!! The whole place and fare on offer just smacked of penny pinching and pure disregard for their loyal clientele, so we left to get a drink at the Wetherspoons around the corner instead ... and from some of the conversations we overheard whilst there, I don't think we were the only HHonors members really annoyed and let down by this ...
You can probably tell from this rant that I was extremely annoyed by this whole affair, but when I asked to speak to the Guest Relations Manager, I was told she had gone home for the night; I ended up expressing my dissatisfaction to the HHonors customer service team, and in fairness the Hotel Manager Daniel van Wyck did write back to me, but blamed the issues on a new set of "Hilton Brand Standard" guidelines coming out which "will ensure consistency throughout our cluster" (whatever that means ...). He repeated the assertion that "spirits are no longer served in the Executive Lounge but can be purchased in our Connich Bar", which misses the point somewhat - in all other Hiltons we enjoy a drink in the Executive Lounge and then go down to the hotel bar to enjoy some more drinks; frankly with this cost cutting attitude we were certainly not going to give the Hilton another penny of our weekend spend, with the local pub being the main beneficiary of this !! I have a horrible feeling this short-sighted and very negative move to downgrade the Executive Lounge may well be rolled out to other properties in the UK, so I'm trying to find someone in the Hilton UK team who I can talk to and challenge this, but so far to no avail ... I can only re-assert our warning to the Hilton brand that whilst such a move may look good as a cost saving move, it will demotivate and alienate a large portion of your loyal customers, whom I'm sure will be well looked after by your rivals in the years to come ...

The sad thing is the Hilton Glasgow does have a lot going for it, but it needs to recognise its customer service issues - frankly I kind of wished we had opted for the Hilton Garden Inn by the SSCC instead, but perhaps we'll look at that next time.

So in short - don't bother spending the money on upgrading to an Executive Room as the King Deluxe room is good enough, and use the money saved to have your own personal "Executive Lounge" drinkies in the Edward G Wylie instead !!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor King Deluxe
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TOURISTTED
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review of your recent stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our loyal Hilton HHonors members.

While I am happy to hear your feedback on our location, rooms and breakfast, I see there were some areas mentioned in your review that prevented you from having an overall positive experience with us.

I have noted your comments regarding the Executive Lounge offerings and have shared your feedback with the relevant department managers.

As you mentioned our Hotel Manager Daniel van.wyk has since been in touch with you regarding our Executive Lounge offerings and I can confirm that we are continually reviewing the services and products we offer our guests.

Thank you again for sharing.