“Excellent choice”

Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Northumberland, United Kingdom
“Excellent choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

On a recent trip to Glasgow we found the Marriott was fully booked so we opted to give the adjacent Hilton a try. The check in process was dealt with a very pleasant girl who was both friendly yet efficient at the same time. As a late booking we got a room on the 5th floor. The room had twin beds but they could best be described as single beds rather than the queen sized beds normally in twin rooms. Room was nicely decorated but a bit dark. Biggest problem was the room was very hot and the air conditioning seemed to make little difference to the temperature, In the end I slept on top of the duvet. Breakfast was very nice although the dining room is split and we were quite a distance from the buffet. The front of house at the hotel is really nice and modern and very airy compared with the Marriott. Location of the hotel is good on the edge of the city centre but unlike the Marriott, getting to and from the hotel seemed very complicated with one way streets and construction sites all around. The other bugbear was the underground parking spaces were very tight and you needed to get your ticket validated every time you took your car out of the carpark. Adding up the points, I would say the pluses outweigh the minuses and the Hilton is overall a good choice of hotel for Glasgow. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow, I am delighted to read that we were an excellent choice for your visit to Glasgow.

I have shared your feedback with our team and do hope that will choose to stay with us on your next visit to the city.

Thanks,
Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Turkish first
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Note to self! Read you last review!!

I am sat here in the room still. I have checked out but wanted to get this down whilst fresh in my mind. This is Sunday 29th June 2014

At check in it was all very pleasant and we were given an upgrade to the 18th floor. The room was very nice but the aircon made it freezing in there.

Before dinner we went to the executive lounge where again it was cold. The snacks were OK but for some reason the only drinks you could have, bar soft drinks, were wine and beer. So no chance of a nice G&T before dinner! The red wine was a Temprinillo Grenache which was about as bad a wine as I have tasted. I had a bottle of Heineken

We actually went out for dinner as my previous stays at this hotel have definitely confirmed that the food and beverage is of a very low quality for what should be delivered at a hotel like this. Ho Wongs was the restaurant.

On returning to the hotel, the footy was on so seemed the right thing to watch in the room. However if you want HD forget it as the signal was so bad and was lost often. The whole experience with the Internet was poor. I am currently connected to the internet through my phone because I cannot get a wifi connection unless I stand near the door. That was straight from the support desk that the reception put me through to.

In the morning we went for breakfast in the lounge. We were in there about 20 minutes. The food was OK nothing spectacular but nothing to criticize either. The issue here is laziness. when we walked in there was a spillage of milk and cereal on the floor. My wife placed a paper towel over the top of it as it was a serious hazard. 20 minute later and after the staff member in there walked past it, I kid not, at least 15 times, we left and I assume it is still there!! The attention to the guests is miserable. Not a thank you or hello. Just a question on where I was sitting. I said round the corner and was told OK, there is a bag there and I wondered if it was yours. Off she went and disappeared for 10 minutes.

We laughed a bit because last time we were in this hotel which was over a year ago the staff were sticking knives into a toaster whilst it was still plugged in.

We left and I went to check out and get my car park ticket validated. I wasn't asked if I wanted a receipt, did we have a good stay etc etc. The staff are completely disengaged from the guests. It is a really poor experience but one I shouldn't blame the hotel for. I should have read my own review from last May 2013 when I said at the weekend the hotel is terrible. It still is and has actually got worse as the staff just don't care. Maybe as a Diamond member spending a few points I am seen as a freeloader, maybe they dont value my custom anymore. I don't know but as I have voted with my feet for the last year and stayed at the Marriott and a few others in the City.

Lisa L was the respondent to my issue last year. Full of apologies but unfortunately nothing done in the respect of action.

Room Tip: Don't stay at a weekend when the staff are not bothered
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John M
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent stay at Hilton Glasgow.

It was great to have the opportunity to speak with you personally and go through the areas mentioned within your review.

We always strive to put guests first and provide a warm and engaging service and I am sorry that we did not deliver this experience during your stay.

On a positive note we are delighted you will be returning to stay with us very soon and we look forward to delivering the level of product and service you have every right to expect from Hilton Glasgow.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just spent the night in the Hilton in Glasgow on William Street! Staff where 100% amazing! So friendly and helpful. Recently been diagnosed with celiac disease and I was asking what food was gluten free not only did they give me a list Tammy a member of staff printed information off for me and was very helpful and friendly! Amazing! Couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for mentioning Tammy personally.

We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

I am so pleased you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Nice modern hotel in Glasgow next to the city center. Nice, clean, modern rooms. Spacious rooms, same as U.S. size rooms for a Hilton. The pool and workout areas are very nice and clean. The breakfast was excellent. Lots to choose from. The restaurant for dinner is a bit pricey, but very good. The concierge was very friendly (if you can understand his Scottish accent!) and helpful. All of the staff was very helpful and friendly. Nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have a great view of the city. Especially the late night sunsets in summ...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

It's great to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel and our facilities. Our concierge team are a real asset to the hotel and I will certainly pass on you kind comments to our Front of House Manager.

Should you have the opportunity to visit Glasgow in the future we do hope you will come and stay with us again.

Peterhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for the Robbie Williams concert and for my birthday in June. Really good hotel to stay in. The staff are friendly and helpful, even got checked in early. Room was clean and pleasant. The pool is nice and relaxing and the bar has a pleasant atmosphere. Would fully recommend it and will be returning to this hotel very soon :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your two night stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear you had a good stay and hope you had a wonderful birthday and a great time at the Robbie Williams concert.

Wonderful to read you will stay with us again, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed back in April for a business trip. Reception welcome was good as always. Room clean, comfortable and a great view over Glasgow! Had room service breakfast this time, it was served promptly and was nice and hot, great start to the day, tray charge a bit steep but my choice to have it in room! Efficient check out. Will use again.

• Stayed April 2014
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Ccam67,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great feedback with us at Hilton Glasgow.

It is always a pleasure to read reviews from our loyal guests and share these with our team.

We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Sale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We actually won 2 nights stay at the Hilton, plus 2 tickets to the international comedy fest at the historical Kings Theatre just a short walk away, plus return rail travel. All courtesy of Visit Scotland. What a GREAT weekend and a most interesting city. The hotel breakfast buffet is excellent! I now have porridge the Scottish way (with a shot of malt whiskey) every morning! We met our Glaswegian friends in the cocktail bar which was both comfortable and reasonably priced with good service. Our large airy room with a fantastic view facing west on the 12th floor overlooked the adjacent expressway towards the river Clyde and the Scottish Exhibition Centre and BBC Scotland. Plus there is a pool and spa to relax in before/after a day in town. The walk into the main centre is more than a short stroll, but for a heritage architecture geek like me there are plenty of fascinating old buildings. The Tenement House on Buccleuch Street run by National Trust Scotland is nearby and well worth a visit. Leave plenty of time for check-out on a Sunday. There were long queues after a wedding party the night before.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on one of the higher floors to get a good view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear BrierleyDenver,

Congratulations on your win and thank you for such a great review of Hilton Glasgow.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.