“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I regularly stay in the Glasgow Hilton, averaging 2-3 weekends every month. Being a large, corporate hotel, it obviously doesn’t have the charm or friendliness of smaller, boutique style hotels, but it certainly doesn’t sacrifice on quality or comfort. I’ve noticed a few, recent reviews on here slating the property following the outbreak of the Norovirus, but these are limited to one specific incident and the way it was handled, so I don’t believe they give a true, overall reflection of the hotel. I normally book two rooms in the property, one for myself and one for my daughters, taking advantage of the 50% discount for a second room when occupied solely by children. Booked in advance, standard rooms are available for as little as £79 per night and there are often special offers which will bring this down further, so it really is good value. As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, I’ve always been lucky enough to be upgraded to the Executive floor, which also comes with lounge access. The rooms are all quite nice. Nothing special, but a decent size and good value for money. Executive rooms are around £50 per night more expensive than standard rooms, but there is no real difference, other than slightly upgraded furnishings, a turn down service in the evening and access to the lounge, so it may be hard to justify the extra cost, especially if you’re paying for it yourself, but the fact that lounge access comes with breakfast and complimentary snacks and drinks all day may help. I probably shouldn’t give this away as it means I’ll have more competition for them, but there are four rooms on the corners of the 20th floor which are definitely worth paying the extra for, as they have full length, floor to ceiling windows and large, private balconies. The view over the city or down the Clyde on a sunny day is beautiful!

There are two restaurants in the hotel; Minskey’s, which is an American style brasserie, and Cameron’s, which used to be a lovely fine dining restaurant, but is now classed as a steak house. The food is still excellent, but it has lost some of its charm. As well as its A La Carte menu, Minskey’s also offers a delicious carvery, with unlimited starters and desserts, so is good value, especially if you want to try lots of different desserts! Cameron’s offers an A La Carte menu with a good selection of options and provides more space and a slightly quieter ambience than Minskey’s. There is also a private dining area available, if you prefer a little more privacy.

The leisure club in the hotel is operated by Living Well and provides a good sized swimming pool, with sauna, Jacuzzi and steam room, and a health and fitness suite with cardio and weight training equipment. There are also a few beauticians onsite offering various treatments, as well as a hairdresser and nail bar.

The executive lounge is located on the ground floor and serves breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea between 3 and 5 and snacks in the evening. Soft drinks and light snacks are available all day, but alcoholic drinks are only served between 6pm and 8.30pm. The lounge is open until 11pm most nights, but for some strange reason closes at 8.30pm on Saturdays, which is very annoying! Breakfast is a fairly basic affair, compared to that served in the restaurant, but it doesn’t cost any extra and is still very nice.

Location wise, the hotel is not perfect for the city centre, but it is only a 10 minute walk, with some bars and restaurants only 5 minutes away. Taxis in Glasgow are so cheap, though, that it is just as easy to jump in one to take you where you are going, so getting around is never a problem.

I’ve always found the staff to be very polite and helpful. Obviously this is helped by the fact that I stay there regularly, so have got to know some of them, but I do rate them very highly. Nothing is ever to much trouble and they are always happy to help.

Overall I would be very happy to recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Glasgow on business or pleasure, especially if you book in advance and get a good rate.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Turkish first
Galloway
Reviewed 2 August 2010

If I had read some of the other reviews for this hotel, I would probably not have bothered booking a short-break. As it turned out my wife and I had a fantastic two-night stay, largely helped by the friendly, helpful and courteous staff. The young girl on reception processed our arrival with pleasant professionalism, validated our car park ticket for the reduced rate, and answered all our questions with clear and concise information and above all with a smile. All the other staff we met in the dining rooms and bar went out of their way to be helpful and to make sure we did not want for anything. Prices are a bit steep though and at a whopping £2.70 for a 30p can of Coke and £4.85 for a basic whisky (albeit 35ml measure) many people would not want to spend too long in the bar, especially as there is a Wetherspoon's just a few minutes walk away. The hotel is easily reached just off the M8, the rooms are a good size with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, and the fairly large bathroom was spotless. Meals are excellent and the buffet breakfast is not to be missed - though the fried eggs could be improved - ie not so over-cooked - if they had been prepared au naturel instead of in a round mould.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Just received an obvious generic letter from the 5 star Hilton, they couldn't even take the time to reply and comment to the letter I had sent, very very disappointing and feel so let down by this Worldwide Hotel chain.
Have been going to this hotel for years in fact since just months after it was built, I will never go back. I didn't go on a much needed breakaway for a few days to be infected with a virus. To be contacted by a security manager and asked to write and apply for a refund was an insult. The 63 guests should all have been automatically refunded the cost of their stay with some compensation for what had occurred.

3 Thank CarolT55
Nairn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This is the only bad review I've ever written.
After one night here I've thrown out my "Hilton Honours" loyalty card.

We were evacuated at 3am last night. 14 storeys. Everyone. The whole hotel.
My children were cold, tired, scared and wet.
Then we were told to go back, "someone had been smoking in their 10th floor room".
We couldn't sleep again. I checked out. £171 + extras for 3 hours sleep.

The duty manager refused a refund, discount or to discuss the alarm but told me I could write to the Hotel General Manager. This is my letter. Where were you?

I felt tired, shabby and a very unimportant person so I aborted the trip and drove home early and exhausted, drinking coffee, cold air and my 9 year-old ill all the way.

I just looked for any coverage of the evacuation on the BBC website and see they have a Novovirus outbreak. I wasn't warned. No wonder my son is sick. Where's your Honour Hilton?

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank PaulW1960
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed 2 nights here and had an excellent time. Staff were helpful and courteous, particularly the concierges and doorman. Breakfasts were huge and tasty with a massive choice. My son loved the pancake machine! Beautiful meal in Cameron's on 1st night and excellent Indian on Sauchiehall St (Slumdog - 5 mins walk) on 2nd night. Pool was clean and fresh and staff again firendly and helpful. Free wi-fi would have been nice.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

My husband and I booked our stay on Thursday 15th July 2010 to celebrate my starting a new job on Monday 19th July. We checked in on 16th July and were given no indication at check in that there was an infection at the hotel - I have since found out that the first reported sickness was on 14th July 2010 BEFORE we had booked with the hotel. We used the pool facilities and also Minskys for food. My husband and I were violently ill on the saturday 17th July 2010 through the night with violent sickness and diarrhoea. We actually thought we must have picked up food poisoning from somewhere (not thinking it could be anything to do with the hotel as there was no warnings given that there was a possible problem). We struggled to check out and were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay or if there had been any problems - at the time we were so ill we just wanted to get home, it never occurred to us that normally they check that you have enjoyed your stay and where happy with the service - we now realise this was due to staff trying to check people out as quickly as possible without having to mention anything re the norovirus! I am disgusted at the lack of information and advice and customer service that we have received from a supposedly five star hotel - Have just received a derogatory letter from the hotel taking no responsibility for what has happened. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. I was left unable to start my new job and have lost a weeks wages on top of a nightmare experience and paying through the nose for the privillege!

8 Thank lisemr
Highlands
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We booked the hotel for a nice weekend away. We booked it online and booked the offer £89 per night b&b and got our dinner on the first night included. The dinner was in the buffet rest and it was amazing. The choice was massive and sooooo nice. Normally with a posh hotel you get a tiny bit of food in the middle of your plate but not in this hotel...yum yum we were in heaven.
The room it's self was sooo nice and the bed was massive too. The bathroom was lovely and very very clean.
You are about a 5-10 min walk into to town but you don't really notice it when your just taking your time. It is still very central. There are taxi's waiting outside the main door the whole time and this only cost £4 to get into central station if you can't be bothered to walk.
We would def return but onyl if we could get the offer as it would be to expensive for us if not.