“Very Good Stay”

Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Toronto
“Very Good Stay”
Reviewed 27 November 2010

We recently stayed at the Glasgow Hilton. The purpose of our stay was family related so we did't get to see much of the city, unfortunately. I was a little concerned about the location of the hotel as well as the hotel itself after looking at the photos on tripadvisor. No need to worry. We stayed in room 2020 which was on the top floor. The room had an odd U-shaped layout which made it feel more llike a suite than a room. The entrance, closet and bathroom were on the first segment of the U. A seating area and desk were on the bottom portion, and the bed on the third portion. The bed was very comfortable and the towels were nice and large. There were also robes and slippers in the room. The room also had a large balcony with an ashtray. Since we are smokers this was a big plus for us. Not sure if the whole property is smoke-free or if they just didn't have any smoking rooms left when we checked in but the Hilton website allowed us to reserve a smoking room.
Other that an odd conversation with a concierge, the staff was excellent. The housekeeping staff was good but didn;t throw anything away. For the most part I understand this but not throwing away things like a cap from an OJ bottle that was already in the garbage was a little weird.
One problem was that there was no plug anywhere near the kettle. If you wanted to make tea or coffee, you had to pick up the whole tray and move it to the desk. I already had the desktop filled with cosmetics, hair accessories, etc. so this was not at all convenient.
Our room gave us access to the executive lounge which had an excellent complimentary breakfast and a cocktail hour with very good hor d'oueves and a full bar. We didn't eat at the buffet restaurant but did at the bar and at Cameron's. The bar is a nice atmosphere but the menu could use some work. It's almost like they are trying too hard to be creative. This is the only place to get large coffees "to go". Two large coffees cost 8 pounds - YIKES! On the other hand, I can't say enough about Cameron's!!! It's a little pricey - about standard for an upscale restaurant - but worth every penny and more! The staff is amongst the best we've seen in any restaurant, anywhere! The perfect balance between formal and casual. The food was excellent! Excellent! Had both steak and seafood both cooked to perfection. The baked goat cheese appetizer was so good I ordered it again the second visit - it was even better the second time!
Finally, the location is not that bad. It's probably about a 15 minute walk to the main shopping area. I took a cab for around 5 pounds and due to the weather, that was more than worth it. We had a lovely view of the city from our room and in spite of the proximity to the highway, no noise, at least not on the twentieth floor.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Excaper
SarahCrossley, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 1 December 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and in particular Cameron's Restaurant.

I have passed on your kind comments on to the hotel team who I am sure will appreciate the time you took to write your extensive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I have never written a review as most of the time my stays in various hotels pass without any problem. However, this is a culmination of a number of weekend stays at the Glasgow Hilton in the last 18 moths.

Every time there is a problem they try and fob me off with the excuse that it`s just a one off and I`ve been unlucky. Yet again, the lifts were broken. Only one was functioning on Sunday morning serving all 18 floors. I was on the 17th with my 96 year old grandmother, who is fit - but not that fit. We waited 20 mins, when we finally squeezed onto one we went up to the top then stopped at every floor on the way down nobody else was able to fit in.

When we went for breakfast in the Exec Lounge we were told that they were just about to stop serving breakfast. My protestations that we would have arrived 20 mins ago if they could be bothered to fix their lifts fell on deaf ears. The one poor wee lassy in the lounge was fending off angry guests from all angles as it was generally a shambles - she kept telling us that "it`s no` my fault, am on on my own". We could of course have tried Minsky`s for breakfast if there weren`t the usual "queue for an execution" as there is on every Sunday morning.

However, if you think that the mangement doesn`t care - think again. They have put various signs up around the building telling us how much they care. There is a polite notice advising anyone who has the temerity to want Sunday breakfast between the hours of 0930 and 1100 to reconsider. There is also a nice notice stating that they are investing GBP1.5M on the lifts. This sign has been up for at least my last 3 visits - no notice of any work commencing and no advanced notice that we should prepare to walk up and down 17 flights of stairs. The management are obviously aware of the problem - it`s been happening for years - I`d like to see some dates regarding the start and finish dates of this remedial work.

There`s also a polite notice on the cash machine stating that their endeavouring to fix it as soon as possible - sorry for the inconvenience. These things happen.......but the same note was on the machine during my previous visit.

Check-in queues and check-out queues are horrendous. Rarely are more than half the desks staffed. OK, the hotel was full, but it`s full quite often, perhaps they could reinvest just a tiny bit of the takings in sufficent staff numbers.

If I had one bit of advice for the management it would be GET THINGS FIXED and don`t treat me like an idiot by trying to pretend that this has never happened before. I know that you know it`s a shambles every weekend.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank IHouston
SarahCrossley, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 8 December 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

As you are a regular customer of Hilton Glasgow and your expectations have not been met on several occasions, I would like to talk with you personally about your experiences.

I would like to request that you contact me through sales.glasgow@hilton.com or alternatively please call Lisa in the Business Development Department on 0141 204 5555 to discuss your review further.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Checked in and was offered a smoking room. The corridor on the 14th floor was filled with the fumes from a cheap air freshner, making our eyes and noses water
The room was dingy and absolutely stank like an ash tray; fair enough you might say, but I am house proud and my house does not smell.
Cigarette burns on the furniture didn't add to the ambience.
I complained and we were moved to another room.
The hotel has some 'housekeeping issues' it must deal with. The staff on the whole were morose and gave the impression they would rather be somewhere else.
The breakfast was OK, but considering what they charge....... Oh, the bed was very narrow

3 Thank bandmomma
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment and would like to apologise on behalf of the team for the poor service you experienced and can assure you that this is not the level of service we strive to achieve.

I do not have enough information to locate your reservation in order for me to investigate the housekeeping issues you mentioned and I would like to request that you contact me through sales.glasgow@hilton.com or alternatively call Lisa in the Business Development Department on 0141 205 5555.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Booked in for one night £180 ($290) no breakfast included. Got a 'special needs room' that smelled of urine with two single beds at different heights too. Furniture was scratched, bath mat was grubby, no hot water from faucet, had to crouch down in the shower to get any water.
Breakfast was 'Little Chef' quality. View of office blocks and rooftop. Service poor/drinks expensive. Not what I'd expected from the Hilton Experience. Very, very poor and grossly overpriced. Think what you'd get for $300 a night in Vegas or even New York? A night on a Glasgow Motorway Flyover for nearly £200 a night? Hilton really need to smarten up and take note!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
SarahCrossley, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 24 November 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow. I am extremely sorry to learn that your expectations were not met and I would like to investigate your comments further. I do not have enough information to locate your reservation and would like to request that you contact me through sales.glasgow@hilton.com or alternatively please call Lisa in the Business Development Department on 0141 204 5555.

Kindest Regards,

aberdeen
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I stay at this hotel about 15 nights a year (as used to live in Glasgow), and have to say it is one of the best hiltons within the UK (of which I frequently visit being a diamond member). For a city hotel, all of the members of staff are always very welcoming and many remember you by name, and try and ensure that any preferences are met. The rooms are very well decorated and always immaculately cleaned and have good views of the city. The gym is also friendly and though on the small side is adequate (after all it is a hotel and not david lloyd!). I would recommend anyone to pay the supplement for the excecutive lounge (if they are not a diamond member) as overall it is the best executive lounge in the chain (and beats any Marriott lounge I've been to also) and the staff always listen to any recommendations and will always help anyone. The snack offerings throughout the day are very varied with a full scottish breakfast served in the morning (this is especially valuable at weekends to avoid the busy restaurant), and huge afternoon tea selection (sandwiches and cakes), and excellent hot and cold snacks in the evening. The chef and lounge staff seem proud of their food selection and is far superior than any other lounge and an excellent quality of which they take pride. There is also the free bar from 1800 to 2030 (2000 weekends) which is always well stocked and endless soft drinks throughout the day. Though perhaps the best thing is the friendliness of the new lounge supervisor (Ana) and their team who always ensure that nothing is too much trouble - a pleasant change for a city hotel. The hotel is in a good location (about a 5 minute walk from Central station / 10 minutes from Queen Street), although does have a slightly secluded entrance. There are numerous black cabs outside but I would avoid their rip off charges (especially airport and their surcharges) and ask the hotel to book you a mini cab which are far friendlier and usually half the price! I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Glasgow as it cannot be beaten and offers good rates. There have been issues with the lifts in the past as previous reviews highlight, but they are repairing these and so it is not a big deal. Do not get confused with the Hilton Grosvenor which does not compare in standard of service or friendliness and is only worthwhile if you want to go out in the west end.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank bikevail09
Blackpool UK
Reviewed 6 November 2010

It is impossible to find fault with this hotel. It is immaculate, modern, friendly, opulent, everything you would expect from a Hilton.Our bedroom was spacious and well fitted, everything worked. Although there was a huge party in the evening we never heard a thing. Breakfast is superb, extremely good value for money as you have the help-yourself buffet, everything from a full cooked breakfast to croissants, cereal (including delicious porridge), fresh fruit, cheeses, hams, toast, they even do haggis! We could stay in the restaurant for hours. I love this hotel and everything about it.

1 Thank JanieH2801
Tayport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I went with my daughter for a short break in Glasgow. Our deal included dinner on the first night - what a disaster! No freshly cooked food on offer - only overcooked low grade mush available from what was billed as a "carvery". Certainly the meat was carved for us by an employee who clearly did not want to be there!

Everything was dried up and disgusting. On complaining we were offered freshly cooked food from another menu but it took 35 minutes to come by which time it was 10.15 pm. and we were well off the notion. The breakfast was good but there was no black pudding (a staple of any Scottish breakfast!) The bar was overpriced as usual and they are now charging a fee of £4.00 for bringing a bucket of ice to your room, The bar (which used to be a great place to meet other travellers) needs refurbished and is drab with a TV on all the time. No doorman any more to meet and greet and basically - NO CLASS! I echo others who say that this hotel isn't 5 star - not even 3 star in my opinion. We won't be back. There are too many other good hotels to choose from and there is no good food to be had here.

Stayed October 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I have investigated your comments with our Head Chef who has advised that the particular roast you requested, on the evening of your stay, was unfortunately unavailable, however, an alternative was offered. I can also confirm that the particular member of staff on duty that evening has since been through our Customer Care training.

Should you wish to discuss your comments further, please do not hesitate to contact me on sales.glasgow@hilton.com or alternatively call Lisa in the Business Development Department on 0141 204 5555.