“Great stay”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 31 December 2010

My 16 years old son and I booked to stay for one night, as we were going to see a couple of shows in Glasgow. I read all the reviews before, but we got a great deal on the website, and in my experience, Hilton have always provided good accomodation and service. We arrived and were able to park no problem, and check in was friendly and prompt. Our twin room on the 9th floor had plenty of space, was newly decorated and had everything we needed and the shower was nice and powerful with lots of hot water. Although I was missing a internet cable, one was sent to the room within minutes of asking - this doesn't always happen in my experience. The hotel is only a short walk, train or taxi ride away from the main shops and around the corner from the KIngs theatre, so it was nice not to need to move the car. We had a drink in the bar in the evening - yes the drinks are expensive but this is standard at any Hilton, and they have prices on the tables, so it shouldn't be a shock - but my Mojito for £8.50 was fab and worth every penny and it was nice to be able to sit and relax after a day of shopping and theatre. Breakfast was of a high standard, plenty of choice and good service from the staff. As a Hilton HHonors Gold member, my breakfast and internet access were free, depsite only paying £80 for the room - a great bargain. We had a lovely stay and I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TheRobinsonz

Reviewed 28 December 2010

I never got to see a room - the receptionist refused to allow my wife, 3 year old chlid and I to book in because one of my staff had booked my room and used his own credit card to do it which, naturally, had his name on it. The receptionist told me that a duty manager 'wasn't available' and that I couldn't have the room then turned to someone else waiting to book in.

Two early warning signs which I should have been more tuned into - when I drove in to the hotel entrance and asked the porter whether I could drop bags off to be taken to my room I was told to use the lift from the car park to take my own bags in and while I was having my bizarre conversation with the hostile receptionist my wife came back into the hotel from the front where she'd taken our 3 year old while she made a call to tell me that there was a drunk guy swearing and trying to hit random people immediately outside the front door, without any intervention or even acknowledgement from the hotel staff that this was going on.

Like the other reviewer, I always stay at the Marriott and managed to secure a room there easily enough although, of course, I had to pay £2.50 to get my car back out of the Hilton car park for the ten minutes it had been in there.

I've rarely seen a hotel so hostile or disinterested - I live in London and I've eaten at a couple of the Hiltons there so I'm not sure I'd condemn the brand as a whole. Certainly, I'd never under any circumstances stay, or, more correctly, attempt to stay at the Glasgow Hilton again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Sillywizard6
Reviewed 20 December 2010

We have just got home from spending at night at the Hilton in Glasgow, we stayed here to get the Christmas shopping done and to celebrate my husbands 30th. We usually stay next door at the Marriott but decided to try somewhere new as a treat.
We booked a suite and it wasn't even worth half the money we paid. Maybe the double rooms are better value for money....
We have to wait to check in for 40 mins while there were 3 members of staff at the reception desk just standing around watching.
Our suite was in fact two rooms like what you get in a family room joined by and interconnecting door. The bedroom room was very small, but it did have amazing views. The room was shabby looking, there were knobs missing from switches, the sauna in the shower we couldn't use as the knob was missing and we couldn't turn it on. The bathroom floor was tiled and over half of these we cracked and the grouting between the tiled was supposed to be cream but was black with dirt. I know that this sound picky and usually i would accept all of these things but as we were paying ALOT of money for this room i expected it to be amazing.
Breakfast was mediocre, just what you expect from a large chain hotel.
All in all, poor staff, bad service and not very good rooms....we will not be back....next time we are in Glasgow we will stick to the Marriott.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hecticlifeof3
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Nice hotel. Rooms and service are perfect. Bar with good selection of scottisch whiskies And a barman able to reccomend the best of them ;-))

Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Luis K
Reviewed 7 December 2010

On business with limited time to deal with long check in lines and ongoing 1.5million elevator repairs. Basically, everywhere I went I waited, breakfast didn't happen because I could not get seated. Executive lounge was a good alternative until they rudely questioned me demanding I.D. and room key. When I went for a drink in the early evening, and despite the drinks being on the serving table, was told to keep my hands off until the exact min of serving time. So very humiliated, felt like a thief. I had to walk with my case to ground level to catch my taxi as the elevators simply never came after 20 min of waiting. Got to the cash point and guess what? Not working. No money to pay taxi. Every which way I turned, I was out of luck at this hotel. finally asked to speak to manager and she appeared with apologies and an offer to stay with a free executive lounge upgrade. No thanks. Plenty of good hotels in Glasgow. Give this one a pass if you are needing orderly, timely function and polite treatment.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank nikkers57
SarahCrossley, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

Due to the exclusivity of the Executive Lounge, team members will ask for a room number and name in order to confirm access. This, however, does not excuse the manner in which this may be have communicated to you.

I have spoken with the Front Office Manager and Executive Lounge Supervisor who have assured me that the continued training focus will be on customer care and how to communicate with our guests.

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment and would like to apologise on behalf of the team for the poor service you experienced and can assure you that this is not the level of service we strive to achieve.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further.

Kindest Regards

Lisa Laverty
Business Development Office
0141 204 5555

Reviewed 2 December 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Glasgow hotel for a 2 nights courtesy of Tesco Clubcard Rewards.
After walking through snow and slush (no taxis available) from the Queen's Street station, we were greeted at reception with the news that we had been upgraded to an executive room at a cost of £24 per night.
Good points with room: 1 Great view across south Glasgow from the 18th floor, 2 Comfy bed.
Faults with room: 1 The lighting was very poor for fitting contact lenses and putting on makeup, 2 Shower curtain didn't stop water soaking the floor.
We had use of the Executive Lounge during our stay which allowed us to have Afternoon Tea and, later on, Evening drinks with canapes.
Good Points with Executive Lounge: 1 The small cakes and scones with Afternoon Tea, 2 Almost any drink you wanted with nice canapes.
Bad Point with Executive Room: Lack of daylight. I beleive the Lounge used to be on one of the upper floors with wonderful views over the city. That must have been nice.
The buffet breakfast was so so. It was not busy either days we were there so being seated was no problem. The choice was vast (even whisky to put on your porridge) but the hot cooked items were a bit dissapointing, being a bit dried up, tasteless and only luke warm. The guy at the next table had the chef poach eggs for him. They looked good. He went to get something from the servery and the waiter, thinking he had left, took his poached eggs away. Not a good start to the day for the guest.
Good Points with breakfast: Good choice
Bad Points with breakfast: 1 Tasteless, luke warm, food, 2 waiting staff not on the ball.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but the hotel has seen better days with lots of areas needing attention. The staff were very helpful with anything we needed. Glad we weren't paying the full amout for our stay as it would seem poor value for money.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lumberjack231
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Stayed in the Glasgow Hilton on Saturday 20th November for the night. I was attending a charity ball being held in the hotel. The Ball was outstanding and I couldn't fault anything around this. There are a number of things needing addresses at the hotel.

1. When the carpark is full - they should have a better system for letting people know. I stayed for twenty minutes in the queue and nobody let us know what was happening.

2. When I eventually found carparking (not at the hotel), I waited 25 minutes at reception before I was served. I could see it was busy but 3 people serving at busy times is not sufficient. I counted 5 staff hovering around reception and they appeared more concerned about whispering to one another. I'd love to know what they were talking about!

3. The room was excellent and couldn't be faulted.

4. Breakfast on Sunday morning was a disaster! It was sooooooo busy with a long queue outside the restaurant waiting to get in. When I was eventually seated, I asked for tea and orange juice. I left my table to collect some cereal. On my return, my table had been given to someone else! I was gutted. Here I am standing in a busy restaurant, my tray in hand and nowhere to sit. Very embarrassing. I approached a waiter and told him my predicament and he offered to move the person seated at my old table. Sorry.....but it wasn't there fault! I couldn't allow this to happen and asked them to be left. He said that the waiter who had seated me hadn't moved the cup on the table and therefore the table appeared free for the taking! I was eventually seated at a table. Ten minutes later......still no tea/juice..........so I ask! Another ten minutes........and still no tea/juice.....so I ask again. What's going on in this place. Why are staff not strategically placed to deal with several tables so they know what they're doing? The cooked breakfast was lovely. On eventually leaving the dining room, I observed about 100 people still waiting to be seated. Why is the other dining room not opened for busy times like this?

I would not return to the Hilton for the price paid. I have stayed at the Sandyford Hotel on Sauchiehall St before and found that there service, breakfast, rooms and welcome was far more superior. They even provided free internet access in all the rooms. Come on Hilton and move into 21 century!

Very disappointed.