“Very enjoyable stay with no complaints”
Review of Hilton Glasgow

Hilton Glasgow
Ranked #31 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay with no complaints”
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I was looking for a room in Glasgow at very late notice, and got what I thought was a good price for a 5 star Hilton. It was only afterwards I looked at the reviews on trip advisor, but I'm glad to report that we had a really nice time in the hotel, and have no complaints at all.

The location is ok depending on what you need - we were travelling by train from the city centre, and a taxi is under £5 - but the ~1 mile walk was fine for us. If you were travelling via car, I imagine being able to get to the hotel quickly from the motorway is a plus point (rather than negotiate Glasgow's one-way system).

Staff at reception were friendly and helpful, the lobby was a nice place to be, all three main lifts were working and quickly brought us to our room on the 17th floor. I enjoyed the view at night from up there - all the lights of Glasgow beneath.

The room was relatively spacious (for a standard room), clean, and everything you'd expect of a 5* Hilton hotel. Smart in a 'classic' style.

A/C easy to use and quick to adjust, and the shower was powerful and warm.

Good selection of tv channels too - including Sky Sports.

Slightly odd (especially for Glasgow) was the lack of black tea with the complimentary hot drinks. Coffee, decaf, camomile, and peppermint were all accounted for - but no breakfast tea???

We didn't touch the minibar (it looked expensive) and we didn't use the restaurant during our stay for dinner or breakfast.

All in all, very happy with our stay - I have nothing specifically spectacular to report, but that's hardly a complaint - the hotel did what I expected, and it did it very well. I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MartinSpoon
SarahCrossley, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, 17 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and have noted the lack of breakfast tea in your room.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope that you will be able to enjoy our other facilities.

0141 204 5555

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2011

The Hilton Glasgow is a very elegant, luxurious hotel, just off the M8 ringroad towards the centre of Glasgow.

The rooms are comfortable, stylish, reasonably sized and furnished to a high standard. The food is very good, and room service staff always call to ensure everything is acceptable, which is a nice touch. The restaurant, bar, lobby and executive lounge are all attractive and comfortable, although lacking any character or atmosphere that would make you want to linger. There is also a reasonably sized pool and small gym, which is currently being refurbished.

The downsides to this hotel are minimal, although warrant a mention, due to its high cost: Although town is close, walking there is difficult, because of the road layout. you basically have to hike down a badly lit motorway sliproad to get where you need to be! There are only three lifts for 300-400 rooms, which can mean waiting up to 10 minutes just to get to the lobby, although £1.5m is promised to address this. Finally the concierge staff are truly awful, save yourself the trouble of being ignored, patronised and misguided and talk to a receptionist instead.

I would recommend this hotel unreservedly if your company is paying, but if you want somewhere really amazing for a special occasion, I'd keep looking.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MitchLions
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for your pleasent feeback.

As you are a regular customer of the hotel and due to your feedback regarding our Concierge Department I am eager to discuss this with you further.

I would like to request that you contact me through sales.glasgow@hilton.com or alternatively please call Lisa in the Business Development Department on 0141 204 5555 to discuss your review further.

ayr,scotland
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed for 4 nights over Christmas on executive basis . Our first room was noisy from a service lift but we were soon moved as the hotel was quiet on Christmas Eve. The heating in our second room did not work but was promptly repaired. Room was well furnished and had a view down the motorway but was quiet. Good range of toiletries and well stocked with tea \coffee ,and bottled water supplied. Iron and board in room and TV had Sky sports 1,2,and 3. Breakfast was very good , with eggs cooked to your preference. We had a few niggles with the executive lounge. The coffee machine was broken for all of our stay and filter coffee was provided, or tea. Afternoon tea was very repetitive with the same sandwiches every day , and the canapes were poor compared to our previous stays. Our first night there was pinot grigio available but this ran out and was never replenished we were told that no more was available. The alternative was a rather poor white Sun Tree which I would imagine is popular with the catering trade. We were also ticked off for taking a bottle of wine to our table, not sure exactly what the problem was as we were both drinking it , so we promptly returned it to the drink cabinet. Television in the lounge is only on news channels , and over Christmas this was very monotonous as same news repeated over and over. Sports apparently cannot be shown as some previous guests did not conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. The hotel bar however is deemed a suitable venue for showing football.
Although we enjoyed our stay we thought 4 days was too long, we may return but not in the near future.
Special mention to 2 members of staff , the brekfast chef who made the omlettes and Rebecca in the executive lounge as she was very friendly and helpful despite being kept very busy at times, they are a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honestman
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your bedroom and breakfast during your last stay at the hotel, however, I am disappointed that you were let down by the Executive Lounge experience.

I have spoken with the Executive Lounge Supervisor who has advised that we did have a fault with our coffee machine, and due to the adverse weather, the specific part we required to fix the problem was delayed. I have passed on your comments regarding the sandwiches and canapés to our Executive Chef who is in turn currently reviewing our offerings.

I would also like to thank you for mentioning Rebecca from the Executive Lounge and Jimmy the breakfast chef personally. We have an internal recognition programme and it is always great to be able to highlight and reward team members specifically.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback which is invaluable in ensuring we maintain our high level of service and standards.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this further.

0141 204 5555
Scotland
Reviewed 31 December 2010

My 16 years old son and I booked to stay for one night, as we were going to see a couple of shows in Glasgow. I read all the reviews before, but we got a great deal on the website, and in my experience, Hilton have always provided good accomodation and service. We arrived and were able to park no problem, and check in was friendly and prompt. Our twin room on the 9th floor had plenty of space, was newly decorated and had everything we needed and the shower was nice and powerful with lots of hot water. Although I was missing a internet cable, one was sent to the room within minutes of asking - this doesn't always happen in my experience. The hotel is only a short walk, train or taxi ride away from the main shops and around the corner from the KIngs theatre, so it was nice not to need to move the car. We had a drink in the bar in the evening - yes the drinks are expensive but this is standard at any Hilton, and they have prices on the tables, so it shouldn't be a shock - but my Mojito for £8.50 was fab and worth every penny and it was nice to be able to sit and relax after a day of shopping and theatre. Breakfast was of a high standard, plenty of choice and good service from the staff. As a Hilton HHonors Gold member, my breakfast and internet access were free, depsite only paying £80 for the room - a great bargain. We had a lovely stay and I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TheRobinsonz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I never got to see a room - the receptionist refused to allow my wife, 3 year old chlid and I to book in because one of my staff had booked my room and used his own credit card to do it which, naturally, had his name on it. The receptionist told me that a duty manager 'wasn't available' and that I couldn't have the room then turned to someone else waiting to book in.

Two early warning signs which I should have been more tuned into - when I drove in to the hotel entrance and asked the porter whether I could drop bags off to be taken to my room I was told to use the lift from the car park to take my own bags in and while I was having my bizarre conversation with the hostile receptionist my wife came back into the hotel from the front where she'd taken our 3 year old while she made a call to tell me that there was a drunk guy swearing and trying to hit random people immediately outside the front door, without any intervention or even acknowledgement from the hotel staff that this was going on.

Like the other reviewer, I always stay at the Marriott and managed to secure a room there easily enough although, of course, I had to pay £2.50 to get my car back out of the Hilton car park for the ten minutes it had been in there.

I've rarely seen a hotel so hostile or disinterested - I live in London and I've eaten at a couple of the Hiltons there so I'm not sure I'd condemn the brand as a whole. Certainly, I'd never under any circumstances stay, or, more correctly, attempt to stay at the Glasgow Hilton again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Sillywizard6
Scotland
Reviewed 20 December 2010

We have just got home from spending at night at the Hilton in Glasgow, we stayed here to get the Christmas shopping done and to celebrate my husbands 30th. We usually stay next door at the Marriott but decided to try somewhere new as a treat.
We booked a suite and it wasn't even worth half the money we paid. Maybe the double rooms are better value for money....
We have to wait to check in for 40 mins while there were 3 members of staff at the reception desk just standing around watching.
Our suite was in fact two rooms like what you get in a family room joined by and interconnecting door. The bedroom room was very small, but it did have amazing views. The room was shabby looking, there were knobs missing from switches, the sauna in the shower we couldn't use as the knob was missing and we couldn't turn it on. The bathroom floor was tiled and over half of these we cracked and the grouting between the tiled was supposed to be cream but was black with dirt. I know that this sound picky and usually i would accept all of these things but as we were paying ALOT of money for this room i expected it to be amazing.
Breakfast was mediocre, just what you expect from a large chain hotel.
All in all, poor staff, bad service and not very good rooms....we will not be back....next time we are in Glasgow we will stick to the Marriott.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hecticlifeof3
Weilburg, Germany
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Nice hotel. Rooms and service are perfect. Bar with good selection of scottisch whiskies And a barman able to reccomend the best of them ;-))

Stayed December 2010, travelled solo