“If you like "quaint" and tartan plaid, you'll love this place!”

Carlton George Hotel
Ranked #20 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Boulder, Colorado
“If you like "quaint" and tartan plaid, you'll love this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I took a trip to the island of Iona off of Scotland for a few days. On my way back, a friend recommended that I stay my last night in Glasgow at the Carlton George Hotel. I got off the train and was easily able to find my way to the hotel (in the rain). When I walked in the door, I was greeted by a beautiful old fireplace with a warming fire, and tartan plaid chairs. Two young men at the front desk quickly checked me in. They were polite, yet formal. My room was very "Scotland". I loved the red tartan plaid decor displayed in these pictures. It was small but perfectly comfortable. I could not believe the red plaid tiles around the bathtub! There was a corner shelf with crystal goblets and decanters; one each of scotch, gin, vodka. I helped myself (per the sign on the shelf) to a bit of scotch and relaxed after my travel. I had a fun dinner out with two friends around the corner at the local pub, and a restful night prior to my flight back to America the next morning. The guys at the desk arranged for a cab to pick me up promptly and take me to the airport. It was a lovely little boutique hotel and a great finish to my trip. It was a bit expensive, but worth it for the location convenience, experience, and memories.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank 55coffeecups

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Turkish first
Dunblane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here on Saturday, it is so close to the station which was a massive bonus in high heels! Checked in quickly, and went to our room. Front of House staff couldn't have been nicer. The rooms are clean and the bed was huge and comfy, with nice sheets. There was a generously stocked mini bar all complimentary, and also the Executive suite upstairs to relax in with more complimentary drinks and big couches. The rooftop restaurant with..."panoramic views of Glasgow"...we had to laugh, actually you are looking out onto scaffolding and a grey roof top, but for the prices we paid, i wasn't bothered. More amused. Food didn't impress much. The pear with blue cheese dressing was dry, only dressing as a design on the plate, and nothing through the salad. The waiter quickly brought more, and it was fine. My pork main course was fine too. The man that served us was pleasant and friendly, but the other girls never uttered a word at the table, quite cold. Wouldn't choose to eat in the hotel again, but the rooms and service and cleanliness and of course the complimentary drinks and location and price make it a must stay. Great deal all in all.

1 Thank PH73
Lanark, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed here overnight on a DBB package in an executive room. Fantastic. The restaurant was very nice and it was lovely to look over the roof tops of Glasgow. Food was excellent, staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room was lovely and very spacious. It even had a complimentary mini bar with its own decanters and crystal glasses - just a lovely touch. With the executive room you also get access to its own lounge where soft drinks and coffee are free all day and for a limited number of hours at night there is alcohol as well.

We loved the whole experience and will certainly be going back.............

Thank you Carlton - wish we had found you earlier!

Room Tip: Executive is the way to go ..........
1 Thank tranquil8y
Lesmahagow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Had an overnight stay in an Executive room. Included in room was a free mini bar, access to the Executive Lounge, including free soft and alcoholic drinks. Dinner was delightful as was the serviee, all of the staff being friendly and very helpful. Will be back, recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Any Executive room and include dinner for value.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed for one night on a shopping trip with my sister. Twin room had to be requested via telephone call after booking online. It's cheaper to book via the hotel's website than by phoning them!
Hotel is very central for Queen Street Station, shopping and night life.
An added bonus with this hotel is the complimentary mini bar and partially filled decanters of spirits.
The lounge on the 7th floor is very nice and very relaxing.
Breakfast in the Windows restuarant also on 7th floor is a substantial buffet of hot and cold items.
Staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.
Have stayed here 4 times and each time has been as good as the previous!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Livingston, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Booked in here at 2 days notice and got an Executive room for under £100. This hotel is as good as the reviews say it is.
Lovely room and unlimited use of the mini-bar, decanters with spirits - all included in the price.
Relaxing Executive lounge upstairs, again with a wide range of complimentary drinks, is a great place to have a few pre-theatre drinks.
Breakfast in the morning was also excellent...full help yourself buffet with a wide selection of hot and cold offerings - possibly one of the best I've seen.
All I can say is that if I can get the same deal in the future, this place will be may first choice for a stay in Glasgow - totally recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main street are smaller, but have better views.
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband won a night's stay for 2, including evening meal and breakfast, at a Charity Golf Day so I was expecting to be given a standard room etc. Instead we were given a 'Club room' which was huge and clean with beautiful decor. It was to the front of the building with views to George St/Buchanan St. As well as bottled water, soft drinks, tea and coffee there was also a free mini bar with wine and lager and decanters of vodka, gin and whisky in the room. We were also given access to the Executive Lounge where we could chill out reading the papers, watching TV or access the internet while a very attentive waiter served tea, coffee and more free drinks (from 5.00pm onwards). We had a beautiful meal from the A La Carte menu in the Windows Restaurant with a complimentary bottle of wine thrown in. Every single member of staff without exception was polite and professional and made us feel like the most important guests in the hotel. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the location of the hotel is unsurpassable. My only disappointment is that we could hear everything from the room next door. Other than that, I would say this is possibly the best hotel I've ever stayed in and I am already planning my next stay.