“Great Place to stay in Glasgow”

Carlton George Hotel
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed in Carlton George for one week in August 2012.
This is a very good place to stay in Glasgow fro several reasons. First of all it is located in the center of the city AND next door to the Queen street train station. Most of what you want to see within walking distance. King size bed is unusual in Europe at the sub $300 per night price point.
Staff was very helpful and friendly. From the Queen Street Station you can take a train to Edinburgh, its only 50 minutes.
There is free mini-bar in that hotel. The mini bar consists of two parts: one a traditional, small refrigerator and scotch, gin and vodka decanters.
I stayed in "business room" which gives you free Wi Fi and access to the 7th floor lounge where you can have free snacks and drinks. That would be a good place to meet with colleges or friends before taking off for the night or coming back.
The included breakfast was OK: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, meats and fruits. Oh yes, you can order breakfast to your room, which worked out really nice. Staff was very punctual and my breakfast was delivered on time. I used it a couple of times.
This hotel is an exceptional value for such a good service.

Room Tip: I arrived very early and the only room available was on the 1st floor, which is just above the groun...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank iamaws

Reviewed 4 September 2012

great hotel, good service. dinner was exellent, love it having stayed six or seven times. free drinks from mini bar and decanters in room fabulous. executive lounge usually has more atmospere but not hotels fault

Room Tip: rooms overlooking front are better
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wendy-peter
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Have stayed here quite a few times and enjoyed it every time. Central location, lovely rooms and free mini bar - result! 3 course dinner was the biz, best meal in a while. Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying over in Glasgow - well worth it

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shirleywirley7
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I have been staying in the Carlton George Glasgow every year for the past 6 years. Last month I wrote they needed to DO SOMETHING about the hard flat pillows.
I was told it would be handled very soon. Not handled yet. Yet another sleepless night.

Appart from that, I will continue to stay in my favorite hotel while in Glasgow.

Service is wonderful, especially front desk. Very accommodating with all my needs. EXCEPT A NICE FLUFFY PILLOW.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Helen C
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My flight was delayed and my husband had already checked in at the hotel when I arrived. I explained the situation and Hector on the front desk was very friendly to me and gave me my room key with a minimum of fuss.

Our superior room was nice and colourful. There was the usual tea/coffee making facilities. The window faced the middle of the building but we thought it would prove to be quiet.

We booked a table in the rooftop restaurant for dinner. As we were leaving the room we realised that water was dripping quite steadily from the ceiling. It was raining heavily outside but since we were not on the top floor it appeared to be something to do with the air conditioning unit pipes. We phoned reception and immediately one of the staff members, Jennifer, assessed the situation and decided to move us to another room. She grabbed our clothes complete with hangers, pulled the suitcases and all she could carry and placed us in an upgraded club room on the 3rd floor. We had a view of the street now. The room had two large windows and was very light. This room was also very colourful with tartans throughout even in the bathroom tiles. Lovely room, with a shower and bath. The noise from the street was minimal. We managed to leave the windows open at night as preferred that to the air conditioning. We did have to close them once or twice during the 3 nights we were there because of the noise but this was not a problem.

We had our dinner in the Windows Restaurant on the top floor and it was lovely. The view was out over the city rooftops. The staff were attentive and the food well presented and delicious. Highly recommended.

In the hotel rooms there was a free bar and also a glass cabinet containing decanters of vodka, whiskey and gin. The housekeeping staff kept the tea, coffee and biscuits supplies replenished. There was even a cafetiere and coffee for that. All the bathroom supplies were replenished each day. Large fluffy towels were only replaced when we asked them to be replaced by putting the card by the sink saying we would keep them for another day.

There was a free lounge (executive lounge) where you could relax on the top floor. The hotel provided drinks and sometimes snacks as well as coffee. We used this in the evenings for a pre-dinner and after dinner drink. The lounge consisted of two open rooms. One with a TV and the other without. One evening one of the staff members, Alan, came over and spoke at length to us. He was a source of interesting tales about the other hotels in the city. He was very friendly as were all the staff. It really made our hotel experience memorable.

The breakfast was again served in the top floor restaurant and it was well presented, with the option to order special dishes if you wished. A lovely experience again looking out over the rooftops. One of the staff gave me a souvenir panoramic picture of the view from the roof with explanations on what the buildings were.

One of the nicest things was every time we walked into or out of the hotel Hector and then George on the front desk greeted us or if they were busy caught our eye in greeting.

We would definitely stay here again and thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want quiet chose an inside room, if you do not mind some street noise the front is good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wilma S
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We absolutely love this hotel. The room is big and clean. There is air-con in the room so we don't feel the stuffiness and the heat during our visit in summer.

The free minibar is impressive! I've stayed in many 5-star hotels but none of then ever offer any free drinks from the minibar.

The location is definitely one of the best. It is less than 100m from the train station, and there are lots of shops/ restaurants within walking distance.

Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merlion42
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the busy month of August when lots of events were going on.

Staff:
With a fully booked hotel, the staff were still very friendly, professional, patient, keen on giving all sorts of information. Especially the reception was excellent as they went out of their way to help me as best they could. E.g. as I checked-out both receptionist started to call about help me get a cheaper taxi fare to Edinburgh. Because of their efforts, I eventually paid a private-hired taxi GBP 47 instead of paying a black cab GBP 120. They told me that private-hired taxis are always cheaper than black cabs in Glasgow. The private-hired taxi made the extra trip over from Glasgow all the way over to Edinburgh as a one off.

Internet:
Also, Wi-Fi is free all over the hotel. One gets vouchers with passwords for all devices one might have. I stayed three days and had two devices so reception gave me, when I checked, 6 vouchers so I didn’t always have to go down to reception to collect a new voucher every time the 24-hrs vouchers would become invalid. When one books an executive room one can use free internet at the Executive Lounge, while enjoying a free drink or two.

Rooms:
I booked two executive rooms and they were very clean, tastefully decorated (lots of Scottish tartan) and the beds very nice to sleep on. Great was the fact that with executive rooms, the spirits in nice crystal decanters and mini bar was free. The glasses are also beautiful heavy crystal. Fantastic was the fact that one, with an executive room, also gets access to the very classy, relaxing and comfortable Executive Lounge. It has a fully stocked bar and one can get drinks (tea, coffee, wine, beer, spirits, lemonade) and little nibbly bits for free. Also there are two computers for free use as well, including printer.
Not good was the fact that the windows of our room could not be opened and were actually glued shut. The only “fresh air” was the air-conditioning system which was operational 24 hrs. It made a bit of noise, but not that much that we complained about it.
Unknown to receptions of the reason why, but all windows on the first floor cannot be opened.

Breakfast:
Wonderful was the view one had at the well-known Windows Restaurant where one has breakfast in the morning. One looks out over the roof of Glasgow and on a clear day one can see the hills at the edge of Glasgow. Even though the view was fantastic, the breakfast was a bit less. The quality was good, but I would have liked to have mushrooms with my warm full English breakfast and a bigger variety of cheeses (2 cheddars sliced and some pre-packed little cheese bits) and meats (only 2 different meats). Also the meats and cheeses could be re-added/re-stocked sooner. I always had breakfast around 8 AM and by then the meats and cheese were almost finished and weren’t always added. They did always add new fresh fruits and added to the warm English breakfast.

Good:
Friendly and professional staff
Tastefully decorated rooms (free minibar and spirits for executive rooms + access to executive lounge)
Beautiful view from breakfast room
Very good location
Good Wi-Fi all over the hotel

Bad:
Don’t book a room on the First Floor as the windows cannot be opened.
Meats and cheeses for breakfast should be added sooner so ALL guests can enjoy everything and not having to miss out because nothing is left.

Room Tip: Don’t book a room on the first Floor as ALL windows on that floor cannot be opened!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo