Carlton George Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$175
US$171
US$200
US$100
US$115
US$111
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$92
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
1,964 results
All reviewsfree mini barthe executive loungewindows restaurantrooftop restaurantgin and vodkawaxy o'connorstartan slippersclub roomcomplimentary drinkscrystal glassesgeorge squarequeen street stationtop floorthe air conditioningtrain stationsuperior roomcentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2014

stayed at the hotel a few times and been very happy but this time we were very unhappy with the standard of the food the braising steak was disgusting we could not cut through it when complaining they told us it had been cooking for four hours then given pasta that would have burnt your taste buds if eaten the breakfast was a complete sham no sausage one slice of bacon no one seemed interested in filling the bain maries tomato cold and not cooked. tinned mushrooms cold overall a poor excuse for a breakfast,Hector on reception is a great asset to this hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Margaret b,

Apologies that breakfast was not to the normal standard on your recent stay, please be assured that I will take steps to prevent this happening in the future.
I will pass on your kind words to Hector!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed here in mid-November on their Weekender package which is very good value and the rooms are a very good size. We had a club room which gives you access to the lounge with free coffee and soft drinks during the day and free wine etc in the evening. The hotel is in an excellent location and ideally situated for the airport bus. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, but elsewhere I felt that this hotel had taken its eye off the ball. The restaurant service was patchy and the room service a complete disaster with no one paying attention to specific instructions given due to my food allergy. Our trip was also marred by the extremely raucous hen party in the room next door - I don't blame the hotel for this, but it is very irritating to have a group of drunks in the room next door who keep trying the connecting door between the rooms. I'll be honest, my disappointment this time is probably coloured by the fact that this hotel usually provides a high quality stay as does its sister hotel in Amsterdam and it is always more annoying to be let down by a company and hotel that you trust - we were probably just unlucky this time around.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Ali83,

Please accept my apologies for the lapse in service during your recent stay, I do hope that the lack of attention to your allergies was rectified. I will ensure that on future stays all is perfect and try to allocate you a quieter room. I am glad you found the staff at reception to be friendly and helpful, I do have a great team. Thanks you for the constructive comments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I can't imagine that there could be a better-valued stay in downtown Glasgow, and I recommend this place without reservation to anyone wanting a simple, high-quality stay without any frou-frou.

Location: Right downtown, within walking distance of everything. Step out the door and the main shopping street, Buchanan, is right there. If it's the holiday season, the Christmas carnival and Markets are magical and wonderful to stroll through, especially at night. You can walk to a great fitness center (Nuffield Health - you can get a free day pass from their website!) with a huge pool just two miles away on Finnieston Street, and the Kelvingrove museum, an eclectic delight with a scientific or cultural surprise around every corner, is also an easy two mile walk away. The river is just a mile away. An underground station is right around the corner from the hotel, and if you're going to see an event at the O2 theater, it's just a couple underground stops away from the hotel as well. If you need a cab, just ask the desk to call you one or walk a half-block down George street to the train station and grab one yourself. I could go on, but really, the Carlton George is perfectly situated.

Front desk: Provided consistently good, friendly service. When I checked in and learned my room didn't have a city view, I asked for an upgrade, and rather than sell it to me (for an extra ~$45 per night), the guy explained that although he had exterior rooms available, there really weren't any city views to speak of except from the restaurant on the top floor, as all the buildings were the same height. Saved me a bundle - thank you, front desk man! The lobby is a little bit small and slightly kitschy, but not Bad. And the hotel has two elevators, so I never had to wait long to get to my room. Wake up calls always worked as expected.

Room: My room was quiet, clean, and spacious, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was large, and the tub was deep and delicious. Room temperature controls were good. I never heard anyone in the other rooms. My room looked out over a slightly grim interior light well, but since I was only in the room at night I didn't care. Bonus: being on the interior meant the room didn't get any street noise at all. Room cleaning service was good.

Restaurant: Breakfast in the top-floor restaurant was fantastic. It was a classic European buffet, with lots of fruit, sliced cured meats, cheeses, yogurts, fresh croissants and other sweet breads, plus everything you'd expect for a full English breakfast, including some super-yum bangers, baked beans, and Scottish black pudding (ignore all rumors of ick - this stuff is tasty as hell). You'll enjoy the views out the restaurant windows while you dine - they're gorgeously turn-of-the-century. I also ordered lunch from room service once, and it was excellent, although I will mention that it took about 45 minutes to arrive.

I loved everything about my stay at the Carlton George, and if I return to Glasgow, I won't even shop around for another place to stay - I'll come straight back here. I'm giving it 5 stars for satisfaction and value.

Room Tip: For quiet, choose an interior room even though the light well is a tad grim.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

drustrange,

I really appreciate your kind comments. Our location can't be beaten and Glasgow has so much to offer. I look forward ot welcoming you back personally on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family group for a couple of nights as a part of my retirement which was being held in Waxy O'Connors bar and forms part of the hotel.

Check in was quick and if a 'bellhop' or on your door valet parking is sooo important go elsewhere.

We had 3 rooms and were give rooms next to each other overlooking the front of the hotel with views up to George Square.

The room was very spacious and comfortable with a complementary and well stocked mini bar.

We have absolutely no complaints about the room which was very clean and well furnished.

The executive lounge is a nice place to relax and provides complimentary tea & coffee throughout the day and a range of complimentary alcoholic drinks in the evening.

Unfortunately there are always some individuals or groups who have no consideration for others and are selfish in their actions and make if their mission to drink everything provided or at least try it.
Yes there was a group of a few couples who sat getting louder and louder and drinking everything available.

Although we stay relatively close to Glasgow with easy travel link we do spend the occasional night(s) staying in the city and the Carlton George will be without a doubt or hotel of choice, it is centrally located with easy access to everything Glasgow has to offer.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kiltman

kiltman,

I do hope you are enjoying your retirement! Lots more opportunities for a stay at the Carlton George!

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Recently stayed at the hotel on the Christmas shopper package. Before arriving we had made a few changes to times etc and found the staff to be excellent and nothing seemed too much trouble. On arriving we thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon tea. The rooms were a great size with lovely amenities.We ate in the restaurant and really enjoyed the meal. The staff in the hotel were excellent and added to our thoroughly enjoyable stay. We took advantage of the exec lounge and had a great relaxing stay. We really look forward to returning and can't speak high enough of the hotel and staff.

Thanks Again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

deesimba,

The shopper package was really popular this Christmas, glad you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.