“top hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Liverpool
“top hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Enjoyed our 18th wedding anniversary at the carlton george recently.
Cannot find fault with this hotel. Very well located. Room lovely and clean and amenities very good. Free minibar was a real plus and decanters were a nice touch. We particularly enjoyed the executive lounge and the rooftop restaurant.
We will definately return to the carlton george

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thanks Jayne,

Happy Anniversary!

We are indeed a top hotel! I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Glasgow.

Duncan Johnston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed at the above hotel on Wednesday 15th of January and it lived up to its usually high standards.
The room was immaculately clean with good amenities and the sleep quality of the bed was excellent.
I had a lot of work to do so did not eat but had a couple of drinks in the executive lounge upstairs on the top floor which was well stocked and glasses were clean
i will stay again when next in Glasgow

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Delighted that you had such a good sleep and that the standards at the Carlton George were as high as usual.

Thanks again

Alexandria West Dunbartonshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Booked an overnight stay in the Carlton George Hotel Glasgow as a treet for my wife's birthday it has a great location a short walk from Glasgow Queen St station, shops and restaurants.
We managed to get a January Sale Package a great deal which included Three course dinner in Windows rooftop restaurant Overnight stay
Complimentary Minibar and decanters of Gin, Vodka and Whisky in the room Free WiFi and free local calls Full Scottish breakfast in Windows Restaurant or delivered to your room for no additional charge.
The room was a Superior room and although we had stayed before in a club room before it was large and spacious with a queen size double and large bathroom; the room was cleaned to a high standard.
Reception staff were very friendly and although we had arrived early to put our bags in reception to go shopping we were very quickly booked into our room made very welcome.
After shopping we spent a few hours enjoying the free mini bar in our room before heading up to the Georges Windows Restaurant.
The service and food were first class and could not be faulted BUT our planned quiet intimate dinner in this lovely setting was short lived by a large party of very loud and pretentious business people who's loud conversation and behaviour was uncalled for and took a total disregard to the few other couples who had been enjoying their meal before they arrived, we declined coffee in the windows restaurant and decided it would have been quieter to go for a coffee Starbucks round the corner!!
I am not sure what could have been done about this situation maybe the could have been asked to quieten down the staff were embarrassed I know that if we go back and notice a large table as there was we will request dinner in our room or go elsewhere.
Breakfast was excellent as we're the staff and the restaurant reasonably quite until some of those same noisy people arrived and were shouting over each other to make there point heard again with no regard for others.
This would have been a five review had it not been for our experience at dinner and breakfast we had a very comfortable stay in our room slept well and all was quiet.
We will use the George again as it has been very comfortable,excellent food and in a great location as well as being very good value.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear EGmac_307,

As outlined in my email to you, I am sorry that the large party in the restaurant were noisier than you would have liked. I was, however, please dot read that you enjoyed every other aspect of your stay. For future visits I will try to let you know if there are groups booked in for dinner.

Duncan
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Fantastic location if you fancy shopping, eating and nights out. Hotel is lovely and welcoming, with an inviting foyer....nice warm fire and nicely decorated.
We were in a club room which was very spacious and a comfy huge bed. Rooms have everything that you need. Free mini bar and snacks (crisps and Tunnocks caramel wafers!!). There are 3 decanters with alcohol in them, enough for a couple of large drinks out of each. Nice after a long day shopping!
Executive lounge is very nice with a lovely relaxing atmosphere. Assortment of teas, coffees etc and various wines and spirits. The staff are so helpful and friendly. Could do with the decor being done in the hallway outside our room, and the carpet a bit worn but this certainly didn't affect our stay and our room itself was spotless!!
Opted for breakfast in our room, superb on both morning. Delivered on time, hot and tasty. No tray charge either which was a bonus.
Would definitely stay again. We were in room 109 and had a great view of a busy Glasgow!

Stayed January 2014
Thank you for the kind words.

We do have a great product here and the location is hard to beat.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here for a two night break between Christmas and New Year. First impressions were good as the lobby although small was most welcoming with a lovely fire burning. The staff were most efficient and helpful.
The location very near the lovely George Square is excellent for shopping and nightlife.
The room was good and the complimentary drinks a very nice touch. Our room was slightly too warm for us, we were able to open the window, but unfortunately we could hear noise from the generators below, otherwise the hotel was very quiet.
The bar next door Waxy O'Connors is great for an after shopping/sightseeing glass of wine and the first drink is complimentary. Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear passepartout99,

I'm glad you visited Waxy O'Connor's and that you appreciated the complimentary drink, it is a fantastic venue.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I had booked the hotel for a special event with my husband and at the time of booking there were no spaces in the restaurant so we booked the "Evening In " package where we could dine on our room. On reflection about a week later we called back to see if we could change the package to either upgrade the package to a nicer room and eat elsewhere or see if there had been any restaurant cancellations as it seemed a bit of a strange way to have a special night out having dinner alone in our room. The reservations manager who shall remain nameless was hostile and argumentative and very very patronising. He advised that the other packages were not available on the night I requested and when I said that I hadnt seen on the internet that there were restrictions about which days the rooms could be booked his reply was " well were on the internet does it say you can book them ANY day" He talked over me , refused to let me speak to anyone else and in the end since I couldn't get a word in I had to terminate the call. He was so bad that my husband who was sitting two seats away could hear what the reservations manager was saying to me on the phone. I really didnt want to cancel so I even said that since we had clearly got off on the wrong foot could he tell me when there would be someone else I could speak to in order to look at the available packages and rooms but he just kept talking over me. It is made worse by the fact that I was actually calling to try and upgrade to a club balcony room which would have been over £200 ... I escalated to the manager who in fairness was extremely polite and tried to be helpful but his only solution was to offer to cancell my room. It's sad that one person with a bad attitude is allowed to spoil what looks to be a nice hotel. I worked in hospitality for years and would have been in big trouble for speaking to a customer the way he spoke to me.

Room Tip: I didn't get to stay so I cant comment on the rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Leesmith1
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Leesmith1,

I am sorry you felt you needed to cancel your room with us and did not get to experience a stay at The Carlton George. Apologies that you felt my Reservations Manager was rude to you, this was certainly not his intention.

Edinburgh. Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We spent 3 lovely days in this hotel. Free mini bar was a great bonus as was the exec lounge. Exec Lounge was a lovely place to relax with a coffee and the morning papers, but also in the evening up to 10.45 at night where you could have a nightcap.

The room was very clean, spacious and plenty of toileteries/bathrobes/slippers. Only downside was the lack of natural light. We were in room 203 looking out in a lane. A very tall building on the opposite side cut out all the natural light - we had to have the lamps on constantly. As someone who suffers from SAD it was not the best of experiences for me. In fairness I didn't speak to reception about it, they may well have moved me if I asked.

Breakfast was ok, plenty of choice and well stocked when we got there.

Staff were all delightful and the sense of humor displayed by the gentleman on reception was well received (sorry didn't check out the name, this is something I really should do). Staff in the the dining area were exceptional too and nothing was too much trouble for any of them.

I would definitely stay again, just not in a room overlooking the lane.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the lane if you can.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. I was pleased to read that you found all the staff to be so helpful. The gentleman on reception is Hector- a real character.