“A real surprise”

Carlton George Hotel
Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have now stayed here several times the latest in March, the staff could not be more friendly and the rooms very comfortable. Free mini bar and use of the executive lounge with complimentary coffee and bar are a real bonus. Breakfast in the restaurant is wonderful looking over the city roof tops.
The hotel is perfectly located and if you get your ticket stamped there is cheap car parking in the Buchanan Galleries just around the corner.
My only fault is I only found out about their loyalty scheme this time having stayed three times before.
Already looking forward to a three night stay at the end of April.

Room Tip: Park in the Buchanan Galleries for discounted parking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Hi Simon,

Great to read that you love our hotel. Next time you come we will get your loyalty card stamped for your previous stays. Hope to see you soon

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Carlton George Hotel

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Just returned from one night in a Club room on bed and breakfast. From arrival to departure everything went with a quiet efficiency seldom found today.
The room was large comfortable and clean as was the bathroom.
The addition of a free mini bar and decanters was a nice touch as was the Executive lounge on the 7th floor with free snacks and drinks. I think these touches are reflected in the price which was only a little more than comparative hotels.
Breakfast was excellent and staff obviously knew their jobs and did them well.
I would not hesitate in recommending and using the Carlton George again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Mike M,

I was delighted to read that you had such a positive experience and appreciated the little extras such as the lounge and complimentary drinks.
Thanks for the review!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just spent a night in Carlton George hotel. What a find! Staff were all very nice & helpful & lovely rooms. Couldn't believe mini bar was all free including decanters of spirits, then lounge at top of hotel is available for guests to go & they supply drinks there too. Food in restaurant was lovely. Could not fault this hotel on anything & I will certainly tell other people about this hidden gem. Will definitely be back to stay at Carlton George.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thanks Rena,

Please tell everyone about us! Glad you liked the lounge and complimentary minibar.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We picked the Carlton George hotel based on other reviews on Tripadvisor and it was a perfect choice! The front desk manager was wonderful when we arrived at 8:00 AM wondering if our room might be available. He had our room ready and we enjoyed breakfast in the rooftop restaurant right away.

The staff were always kind and efficient, and the room was immaculate, quiet and exactly as we expected. We enjoy the nice things in life, and I have a hospitality background, so I am a fairly picky traveler and not easily impressed. I was totally happy and contented with the Carlton and I enjoyed the added touches like the complimentary drinks in the minibar and the executive lounge was a lovely, comfortable respite from the outside world.

You absolutely can't beat the location, being just off the mall and right around the corner from the Queen St station. This hotel was a pleasure to stay at, and I thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Even the internal or standard rooms are very nice, the only difference being they look into another...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Coobry,

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. We have a lot of guests that arrive early form the US, we always try to give early check-ins so you can make the most of your time in our wonderful city. It's always especially nice to get such positive feedback form a fellow hospitality professional.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel recently arriving on a Sunday night and just staying for one night as I had a business meeting on the Monday.

Overall I was impressed with the hotel. The staff were polite, smart and friendly and the hotel was spotlessly clean. The room was a decent size, with a big bathroom that had handles and an alarm cord (as I'm heavily pregnant this actually gave me piece of mind!) and again was spotless. The room had a hairdryer, ironing facilities, tea and coffee making facilities, a complimentary mini bar with soft drinks, wine and beer and decanters of vodka, gin and whisky - again complimentary.

'Windows' restaurant was lovely. It wasn't busy and was a relaxed enviornment. The staff were lovely and friendly and service was prompt but not rushed. It was possible to see the chef preparing the meal from your table which was cool - and the food was amazing! I had duck breast with potato rosti and red cabbage and it was cooked to perfection.

Being lazy I opted for breakfast in my room. There was no tray charge and breakfast arrived promptly. Again, it was delicious.

The only downside to my stay was the bed. It wasn't very comfortable as the mattress was firm one side and dipped and saggy on the other side (I think everyone had slept in the same spot!). Even when I tried sleeping on the firm side I felt that I was sliding down the bed and was surprised I didn't end up on the floor. All the bed needs is a new mattress (I mentioned this when checking out) and then it would have got a five star review and been perfect.

I would definitley recommend this hotel and would stay again when visiting Glasgow.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear IrishBrown2013,

We haven't had a baby born in the Carlton George yet, you should bring yours for a visit when he/she arrives!
Thanks for letting me know about the bed.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed at the hotel on the Hogmany Package and had an amazing time. We found the staff to be really friendly especially the staff in the executive lounge. We stayed in an executive room and we were amazed at how much space there was in it. The decanters of spirits and fridge with wine and mixers was a great start to the break especially as they were all included in the price. The Hogmany dinner was absolutely delicious as was the breakfast in the morning. All the guests in the executive lounge loved the unlimited drink and the atmosphere was fantastic. I loved it so much that my partner and I have booked for this New Year.

Room Tip: Its worth paying the extra for an executive room to get free refreshments in the Executive Bar
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fi0na74
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Fi0na74,

That's great news that you have booked for Hogmanay again! The Venison dish went down particularly well last year, chef is working on the menu as we speak, I'm sure it will be just as memorable.

regards

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Room at the back of the hotel and very dark. The room was very clean but very warm even without the AC on. I tried opening the window but the noise from the other units outside was very loud.
I found the reception staff very pleasant and willing to help.
Breakfast was included in the room rate, the cooked offering was greasy and not very warm.
In short I think I would rather stay a few hundred yards along the road in the premier inn, saving myself quite a lot of money with a far better breakfast.
One plus point was the pub next door, this served decent food in a pleasant atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brokendowntraveller
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thanks Brokendowntraveller,

We get a lot of positive comments about the team at Reception, They do a great job.
I'm sorry you found the room warm, the a/c does get it to a better temperature pretty quickly. With our city centre location, the majority of rooms do look out onto other buildings.
Waxy O'Connor's next door is fantastic, I'm glad you liked it.