“Love this place! ”

Ranked #20 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Love this place! ”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Most beautiful hotel. Visiting again on the 25th June and cannot wait!

I travel on Business and have the executive room with a balcony. Gorgeous facilities, spotless and let's of little touches like the beautiful bedding and curtains, decanters of alcohol (don't drink but the crystal is a lovely touch), the robe, little soaps and HD TV.

If the manager is reading this - I hope I have a nice room tomorrow And cannot wait to come back :)

I've recommended this hotel to our company if any of them visit Glasgow which they often do :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I do hope your stay last night was as good as the first one!

Duncan Johnston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked this break to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. As he always arranges nice places for my birthdays, I wanted something special, but in the city centre.The champagne that I ordered in advance to be waiting for us was there as arranged.

Staff were all very friendly, but I think some training is required.

Regarding breakfast - I actually resent paying a significant amount for a hotel room c/w breakfast - and then having to make my own toast. These rotary toasters are awful and remind me of cheap, poor quality establishments! At least provide the toast from the kitchens, even if you do serve buffet style food. Also, the range was limited and poor quality products. Cheap sausages, watery scrambled eggs, flabby limp bacon. Eww.

I went for the poached eggs each time - they arrived nicely cooked but swimming in water. I had to ask for extra napkins each day in order to swab the water from the plates. Although the order was interpreted correctly on day one, on day two they only delivered one set of eggs to the table despite being asked for eggs for both of us, on day three two sets of eggs arrived - but fried not poached! We made the best of it all each day, but the dining room isn't that big, or that busy to be confused so easily. This is where I think some staff training may be beneficial.

On the last day we noticed that the dining room had not been cleaned after celebrations the night before - confetti and chips on the floor testament that the vacuum cleaner had not been applied.

Having a club room was very good. The free mini bar was good, and I liked the concept of the decanters in the rooms. However, I had requested that the three decanters of spirits which we would never use (gin, vodka, whisky) - be exchanged for one which we could use (rum). No can do apparently. A hotel with no rum? Really? It's not as if I was asking for a litre bottle free or anything, I had tried to arrange this in advance - so that it would be waiting, maybe I should have tried again actually in person, but I didn't want the hassle on our actual weekend. The same drink selection (supplemented with sherry) is on offer in the executive lounge from 5pm until 11. Again no rum. Not really good enough for a "premier, 4 star, boutique hotel".

I think it is because of the hotel group policies or methodology, but the internet arrangement is a little flaky. You get a code issued which is only valid for 24 hours, and then only one device can use it at a time. So on a three day stay, with two smart phones and a tablet between us, we had to ask for codes time and again. Not life limiting - but annoying.

To finish on a positive note - the rooms were certainly clean, and the staff we encountered were all very friendly. The room we had, 311, was overlooking West George street, but I can honestly say that we did not suffer any disturbance from either traffic or people below.

Our stay was ok, but I have experienced that similar "starred" hotels n Glasgow offer better value for money.

Dear Nakalay,

Thank you for the very useful feedback. We did put in the rotary toaster as a lot of our guests prefer to make their own toast, of course we are happy to make toast for you also!
I will make any necessary changes to breakfast procedures to ensure a smoother operation in the future.

Airdrie, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My mum went with a groupon voucher she had and although she said it was ok she had nothing else too add. the glass of sparking wine was the best bit. only a two-tier stand with very little on it. only two small sandwiches each, one small scone and 2 very small cakes. she was disappoited. said other places like the The Corinthian or La Bonne Auberge which she had visited recently for afternoon teas were much much better, expected more from the Carlton especially since stay here twice a year and dined in the restaurant and usually great.

im going end of July to use my voucher...hoping it has improved!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clare C
Dear Clare,

I am sorry that your mother only thought afternoon tea was ok. Let me know when you are coming in next and I will make it special!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is our second stay at this hotel and enjoyed it just as much this time. The location is right in the centre of the city and so close to the train station. Very warm welcome from the gentleman on reception on our arrival. Rooms are clean and very well decorated. Air conditioning worked well as the weather was very hot. The complimentary bar in the room was a bonus as was the free WI-FI. Breakfast on the 7th floor has great views over Glasgow and the food was very good as was the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible less noise
3 Thank EvelynPethick
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Evelyn,

Thanks for the lovely review. I am always pleased to receive such positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stromness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We found the hotel to be the most convenient for our onward journey to Oban by rail from Glasgow Queen Street. We took an executive room giving us access to a lounge and a mini bar which we considered to be sensibly stocked. The room was well appointed and comfortable and the room price included WI-FI. We found that the air conditioning also worked effectively which is not always the case. My wife and I are used to sleeping in a cool room. We booked a DBB rate and enjoyed a pleasant meal in the Rooftop Restaurant which offered us an interesting view over the Glasgow city skyline and of the Lesser Blackback Gulls nesting on the roof opposite. :-) The staff were attentive and courteous and check in and check out was efficiently accomplished. We left the hotel feeling rested and relaxed and ready to continue our holiday. I guess that is what the hotel would consider a job well done. Based on our experience I am certainly happy to recommend the hotel to other guests.

Room Tip: Worth taking an executive room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thanks for the lovely review Mr Barthorpe,

I'm delighted you had such a pleasant experience. The Gull chicks are growing fast!

Philadelphia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Why don't more hotels give you the option to upgrade and get free in-room bar and goodies, plus access to the Executive Lounge where drinks are free? This made our evening night caps a real pleasure, and gave us a chance to talk with other guests. Our room was very comfortable, the staff helpful. Once we figured out how to open the windows, the room was nice and cool for sleeping. I would certainly come back to this hotel on another trip to Glasgow.

Room Tip: George Street is a busy place, but we slept fine even with some weekend partying going on at the pub...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Beadil,

I'm pleased that you appreciated the little extras in your room and made use of the Executive Lounge, it is an excellent place to meet other guests and relax.

Toronto
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Excellent location! Train station is only a three minute walk around the corner and excellent shopping close by. Clean, hotel, elegant rooms, free wifi, free mini bar and free luxury lounge. For $125 GBP, it's a steal of a deal. Would stay again in a heartbeat. :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the kind words Lisa, I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.