Carlton George Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$171
US$200
US$119
US$115
US$111
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$113
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
1,965 results
All reviewsfree mini barthe executive loungewindows restaurantrooftop restaurantgin and vodkawaxy o'connorstartan slippersclub roomcomplimentary drinkscrystal glassesgeorge squarequeen street stationtop floorthe air conditioningtrain stationsuperior roomcentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My husband and I were both very taken with this hotel. We stayed at three hotels on our recent trip, and this hotel was by far the most comfortable and enjoyable. The other two hotels were in London and forgettable.
I can't find fault with anything about it. The room was spacious and so was the bathroom. The towels were plentiful and the minifridge was stocked with free soft drinks. There were also Scotch and other spirits in the room at no charge. In the lounge there was additional alcohol to be had at no charge, and although drinking isn't important to us, we were impressed that it was available at no charge.
The location was perfect to downtown, the Queen Street station, the Glasgow School of Art which was designed by Rennie Mackintosh.
The buses and other public transportation was very handy to the hotel. We found the staff very helpful, and the breakfast was very expansive. Not only was there a buffet for the cereal, croissants, fruit and so on, but a hot Scottish full breakfast could be had as well, and was very good.
We ate one dinner at the hotel and we found that was delicious as well.

Also two computers were available in the lounge at no charge. In the hotels we stayed at in London, they charged up to $7.50 AN HOUR to use the internet.
All in all, we would have liked to stay an extra day in Glasgow in order to enjoy this hotel another day!

2  Thank jc3s
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments- it is always pleasing to hear that we are getting things right. I look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow in the future.I will ensure my team brush up on their knowledge of shopping hours.

Reviewed 18 May 2009

We stayed here last year and were very impressed, not so much this time, however. The staff seemed to be in a dream. Our double room only had one set of towels and I had to phone twice, once at night and then again in the morning when I needed the towels, to get them to bring them up. On checkout, it was a good job I carefully checked the credit card amount as it was more than twice the value of the bill! It then took sometime for them to put through the refund.

The room telephone looked as if it could have done with a good clean.

Breakfast was good; however, for £14 a head I would expect them to make the toast rather than have to queue to do it myself with one of those conveyor things.

I'll certainly be thinking carefully before booking here again.

1  Thank Dave_das

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for failing to meet with your expectations, your feedback is valued and I can assure you that all points will be addressed.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 May 2009

Maybe I had been spoiled on my trip to Scotland with staying at 4 and 5 star hotels, but was so disappointed when we arrived for out last night at this hotel. The food in the restaurant was adequate but noone was there to help with luggage, we had to park a few blocks away and walk by the subway at night and the stench was horrible. No nightlife in proximity...I thought the free minibar sounded intriguing. Believe me not worth staying. The drinks were in decanters and I was very concered about health precautions as to how many people had been drinking from those decanters. It was obvious it had been used many times over. Any other items in the minibar were convenient store snacks and enough for 1 person even though there were 2 of us in the room.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2009

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my apologies that no assistance was offered with your baggage. Being a City Centre property, parking can be difficult, though you could have unloaded your car directly outside the hotel. I do disagree that there is no nightlife in the proximity, we are surrounded by varied and high quality clubs, bars and restaurants.
Our minibars and decanters are checked and refilled daily and high standards of hygiene are adhered to.

Reviewed 13 May 2009

There were 7 of us meeting up for a girlie weekend and my friend Marion came across this excellent value for money hotel in a brilliant location. The service we received for the duration of our stay was superb, service is one thing that I am very critical of and I could not critise one bit of the service. Staff were very friendly and helpful which added to our weekend away. Food was great too! Rooms were of a good standard and okay I am getting to it, the executive lounge and free minibar was brilliant!!! The executive lounge gave us a good place for a good old blether. Can not recommend this hotel enough, it was FAB!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2009

I am pleased that we are achieving our goal of excellent customer service. Glad you enjoyed your weekend away and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton George in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2009

Hotel in good location, but that was about all that I can be positive about.for this hotel.
Staff on reception on arrival not infomative. I had to enquire about hotel facilities, breakfast, checkout etc.
I was allocated to room 507 at the back of the hotel, view was a brick wall with the added luxury of a noisy air conditioning unit from the back of the hotel bar "Waxy O'Connors". When I enquired with reception about the possibility of being moved, they declined instantly but assured me the noise from the aircon outside would stop at 10pm. However, the noise continued all the time during my 2 day stay. Also my room was far too hot, so much so I couldn't sleep.

Break fast was disappointing. The coffee was so strong it was undrinkable and the cooked scottish breakfast was dripping with grease and my fried egg had a lump of plastic wrapping served on top.

The worst of all was reception staff member Graeme Reilly. He phoned my room at 11.50 am to tell me to check out, when in fact check out was not until 12 o clock. He was soo rude. Then when I arrived at reception at 11.58, he again continued with his bad manners and general grumpiness. He never said please or thankyou, but just was as rude as he possibly could. He then informed me that he was the hotel manager when I complained about his behaviour.

I would recommend that all hotel staff learn something that's free and most important - good manners. Must do better Carlton George!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2009

I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations. Customer service is our top priority and I can assure you that this experience was cerainly not the norm.
The extraction should indeed have been switched off at 10pm, please accept my apologies for this.
I will certainly look into your comments about the air-conditioning and breakfast.

Regards