“Great central hotel”

Carlton George Hotel
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We stayed at the Carlton George for one night during our trip through Scotland, and found it amazing. Right in the center of town with lots of restaurants, pubs, sights and transport options around the corner. The room were clean, bathrooms modern and the staff was very friendly. The complimentary mini-bar (including whisky of course) gave the hotel the extra push from four to five!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2009

Thank you for taking the time to comment so positively on your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2009

This hotel is right next door to the Queen Street train station, and a short 5 minute walk to Glasgow Central Station. It is also a short walk from the square, a picturesque place filled with statues and flowers, people and pidgeons! Something unusual about this hotel is that they include a complimentary bar with your room, but they do not include breakfast. They have a lovely rooftop restaurant that has some nice views, although some are obstructed. They mention that breakfast is up there when you check in, but when you check out, they ask for 14 GBP each. It is a very nice buffet, but less expensive breakfasts can be easily found. Something else for which you have to pay extra is the internet. We paid for the faster connection, another 15GBP, but didn't find it to be that great. The room itself is comfortable, with nice Scottish touches in the decor. It is an older hotel and did have a few funny smells, but overall I liked it. The tub is very big and allowed for a hot and relaxing bath. The room comes equipped with a nice closet with ironing board and iron, robes, and safe. If you enjoy having cocktails and don't mind stepping out for breakfast, then I would say this is a great value for you!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We are unique in Glasgow in offering a complimentary minibar. Bed and breakfast rates are availabel and our breakfast compares well wit hother hotels in the city.

Reviewed 12 July 2009

Hi there! I have just had an absolutely wonderful weekend break , staying 2 nights at this lovely hotel. I have checked The Carlton George out before, but the price always seemed a little too dear for my liking. However I found a good offer of £180.43 for 2 nights stay (excluding breakfast) on the 'Hotels and Discount' website, so I snapped it up! The hotel is well place, right in the centre of just about everything. Its close to the shops, to restaurants, to George Square, within easy walking distance to Central station and close to the Tour bus stop. Although when you first walk in the hotel, you are not met by a huge reception area, the friendliness of the staff makes up for this. A young lady receptionist in particular was genuinely very kind hearted and warm. We had arrived early but she took care of our baggage whilst my husband and I went off shopping. When we came back, our rooms were ready and the baggage had been taken up to the room for us. Now I have stayed in many hotels, but this 'standard' room was the nicest I have ever stayed in. It was all rather palatial with drapes over the bed, draped curtains, a comfy armchair , very tastefully decorated with a touch of tartan. The bathroom was clean and spacious. Included in the price were bathrobes and slippers and wait for this......... 'A FREE MINIBAR'! Yes, you did read that correctly! Absolutely free! And there's more....... This was even topped up on our 2nd day! And there is still more....... there were also crystal glass decanters with gin, sherry and whisky in your room, that you could also help yourself to at no extra cost! This surely is quite exceptional! May I also mention the 'Windows' restaurant on the hotel's top floor, which provides you with a wonderful view of Glasgow rooftops. The food was marvellous and the staff, very attentive and pleasant in nature. The cost of the meal was not particularly expensive either, to say it is a 4* hotel. So, on the whole, this I can say with my hand on my heart was truly one of the nicest experiences of my stays in Glasgow. I used to think that nothing could compare to the Millenium Hotel but my stay at the Carlton George has now gone to the top of my list of Glasgow hotels. Keep up the good work Carlton George! You are excelling yourself!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments, I am very proud of my team and the exceptional customer service they offer.

Reviewed 10 July 2009

This hotel truly is a hidden gem!

The rooms are lovely and comfortable with lots of little charming touches like the tartan tiles in the bathroom.

We booked a club room which was spacious and had a balcony that was great to sit on for a late evening drink or to have breakfast in the morning. Also with the club room we got access to the executive lounge on the 7th floor were they served complementary drinks between 4pm and 11pm. This was a great bonus as the lounge is a perfect setting in which to relax in after a long day of shopping.

The hotel is also perfectly located in the centre of Glasgow between Central and Queen St. station and a stone's throw away from George Square and the main shopping streets and arcades.

The restaurant on the 7th floor offers beautiful views of Glasgow's rooftops. The chef's prepare the food in front of you thanks to an open kitchen and i must admit although Im not a michellin star cook I was fascinated by their work which just enhanced our dining experience.
To my surprise the wine list is one of the best I have ever seen and yes I do like my wine!

The service in the whole hotel is just superb from the restaurant to the housekeeping girls, the staff are lovely, helpful, charming and nothing is ever too much for them.

Would go back in an instant.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic feedback, good to know we are meeting with our guest expectations.

Reviewed 28 June 2009

I have stayed in many many hotels in the UK and abroad and have always reviewed my experiences in Trip Advisor. As such, I always have a look at the reviews of the hotels I'm considering booking. We all must remember that not all of us accept the same standards in accommodation and eating out, but I feel my expectations are of a high standard and this hotel ticked all my boxes. I booked a Club room on the 5th floor with balcony which was a fantastic choice as the weather was fab and we sat out for afternoon drinks and also breakfast which was served in the room.
The extra touches, i.e. the filled decanters, free mini bar, snacks and refreshments were a lovely touch, one which I've never seen in any other hotel. If that wasn't enough, free drinks were available in the Executive Lounge until 23.00 hrs.
The room was spacious and immaculate with bathrobes and slippers supplied. The staff were also helpful and pleasant.
Don't read the negative reviews, or if you do, don't be put off. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel to anyone and will be back.
If you're looking for a health club and spa facilities then it is not the hotel for you. I was too busy on this visit to have time to enjoy these facilities, hence the reason I chose the Carlton George.
My only question to Duncan, the Manager would be that when I booked I was quoted £140 for Club Room with balcony. On departure I was charged £155. Jamie at reception couldn't offer an explanation as to the cost differential. He and the other female receptionist understood it to be £140 for all the Club Rooms whether they had a balcony or not.
Thanks to everyone who made my special occasion special.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. With regards to your comments regarding rates, they are driven by customer demand, so do vary.

Reviewed 23 June 2009

I booked a one night stay at this hotel through a third party booking site and then regretted it! I then read so many bad reviews about the booking agent and then couldn't contact them by phone. I rang the hotel and spoke to Fiona, who was the most helpful hotel employee I have come across. She too tried calling the booking agent, with no luck, however she told me not to worry and she would try to check things out for me. True to her word, I received a call from the hotel saying everything was OK and I did have a room reserved.

On arrival at the hotel, we were checked in speedily and given our room key. Our room was on the first floor with a view on to side alleyway - no traffic noise. The room itself was spacious and decorated well. Everything you need for a short break was there - tea/cofee facilities, trouser-press, iron and ironing board, bathrobes and slippers and to top it all off, a complimentary mini bar.

We didn't have time to eat in the restaurant in the evening but did have breakfast. This was much he same as breakfasts in most hotels but we had views overlooking Glasgow's rooftops.

Given we didn't book directly with the Carlton George, we were so surprised to receive such great service when things seemed to be going wrong. Our experience in the hotel was very good and we will definitely be returning soon.

Well done Carlton George.

1  Thank tfs
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments. We do try to look after all of our guests whether they book direct or through a third party. It was particularly pleasing to read your glowing comments regarding Fiona.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 11 June 2009

I arrived by train from London, the hotel is an easy walk from Central station. I returned via Edinburgh to London using Queen Street station which is nearly next door to the hotel (Laura Ashley is the shop next door!). I had the impression that the hotel was directly on George Square but it is a block or two away. (It’s closer to Buchanan Street.) The Hop-on-Hop-off sightseeing bus and the Tourist Information Center are at George Square - very handy. The hotel is in the middle of the shopping districts. I was in Glasgow two days, so took the Hop-on/off tour one day and walked/shopped the next.

My room was large with double bed, tv armoire (liquor cabinet), large desk, desk chair and comfortable reading chair. It was very clean. Also there was a large cupboard/closet near the bathroom. The tartan tile and shower curtain in the bathroom made it special I thought. Don’t often see that! In fact the lamp base and pillows had thistle designs which meant although not brand new, at least there was a decorator’s touch and not just generic hotel decor. My view was of the inner building. I had meals in the city, with the exception of breakfast at the hotel. It was a typical full Scottish breakfast at the restaurant on the 7th floor with a view of the city rooftops.

The staff was very polite. I was only a little disappointed at their lack of knowledge regarding the general hours of the shops along Buchanan Street. I had a pleasant stay and would return to the Carlton George.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Aunt_D
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for you feedback. Our top priorities are guest care adn hospitality, it is pleasing to read we are getting most things right.