“Noisy, noisy noisy”

Ranked #43 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
KENT
“Noisy, noisy noisy”
Reviewed 8 February 2008

The abode looks wonderful - the colours and decor are fab, the old metal lift is a treat. There is stone and jewel colour decor - very sumptious. The service is young but friendly and the food is great but expensive and not enough. HOWEVER: Dont stay here is you are a light sleeper! If you get a room at the back you are kept awske from the kitchen fans and the heating systems, if you get a room at the front be prepared to be kept up until 3am with revellors and drunks and then woken at 5am by the buses that stop right outside the hotel and what sounds like a motorway outside. Even with the double glazed windows closed I couldnt sleep. I will NEVER NEVER stay here and have warned my hotel booking department with my National Company to tell staff to avoid booking this hotel.

• Liked — The Decor And Atmosphere
  • Disliked — The Noise From The Hotel Extractor Fans
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank ChunkyAl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
scotland
Reviewed 22 December 2007

Very pleasant welcome on arrival and high expectations for this Michael caine Boutique hotel.
Unfortunatley that all went down hill pretty quickly. Room was tired and looked like the remains of a gorilla in the bath.
Moved quickly to another room which to be honest was a little better although it looked like it had been attacked by a blind painter, who had managed to get paint most places including the lampshades. Beds VERY comfortable unfortunatley the cheeky wee glasgow housekeeping team arrived outside our door the following morning to discuss all the worlds woes at full pitch. We then tried to phone reception only to find the room phone didnt work.Looking through the riems of literature extolling the magnificance of Abode hotels(money would be better spent on the hotel itself) i located the glasgow number.
Not only was my call a waste of my time it was also a waste of my money as the receptionist was totally disinterested.
Abode have thought of lots of things , but missed some fundementals such as it may be acceptable to charge £1.85 for a bottle of water but not if its left out at room temperature and are you supposed to fight for the one bag of crisps. Michael stop admiring your handsome self in your magazines and have a look at your operation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Total disinterest of company of attention to detail and guest comments
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Isle of Man
Reviewed 30 November 2007

A few months ago I had lunch in the Michael Caines restaurant and it was excellent - 2 course set for £13 - brilliant. This and the great staff encouraged me to choose to stay here for a special weekend treat.

I booked a "weekend offer" rate for B&B, and paid extra £119 to upgrade from a "comfort" room to a "delight" room. Was the room delightful - most certainly not!

I should have guessed that something was up when I was called a few days earlier and advised that the hotel was going to move me to another hotel as they'd booked someone else into our room, and as they were staying more than 1 night they took precedence. They offered to move me to the Park Inn - and I would have to simply pay them the £119 (even though they are a "tourist" hotel rather than "boutique" and their rates are less!. I refused to accept this and suggested that they try again with their bookings or put me into at least an equivalent hotel. I heard no more.

On checking in there was no mention of this - but I fear I was put in one of the worst room - though it's clear from the plan that there are quite a few bad rooms.

The room itself looked great - however the windows were frosted with cheap secondary glazing. On opening the window I saw why - the kitchen fan system was feet away - however didn't seem too noisy and with the windows closed and air con on seemed ok - how wrong I was.

Still - we had a few drinks out and one of the best meals I've had for a long time in the restaurant. Food was brilliant on a very good value £55 tasting menu. Wines not so cheap - but good quality. Meal was about £180 for 2 - but apart from the bad practice of leaving the gratuity open on the slip, after adding 11% service charge - all was well.

When we finally hit the sheets - we realised why reviewers complained about the kitchen fans - it was like a goods train parked outside the window - not just incredibly noisy but droning. It was turned off about 2.30am, and back on at 6.30am and work us up. Dare I say in a sweat as the air con turns off with the lights!

Breakfast was great - very good fresh selection, delightful coffee, and excellent cooked to order main.

On check out I raised the issue of the fan and noise and the receptionist cheerfully apologised for me not sleeping and did agree that many customers complained who stayed in those rooms. I asked if the management are doing anything about it, and the answer was they knew, but nothing was planned.

I feel it is very wrong for the hotel to market these rooms until something is done about the fans - and to have some of the rooms as upgraded is pure cheek.

So - I would recomend the hotel yes - but only if you have a room away from the right hand side - that's 113-116, and the equivalent floor above. If you get one of these demand to be moved - even to another hotel (but not the Park Inn). But if you do - still do come back for you dinner - at least this part will not disapoint.

• Liked — Fantastic restaurant
  • Disliked — Pure disregard to guests overlooking kitchen fans
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ManxQueenies
jjordan111
Reviewed 6 November 2007

very warm and friendly staff , bedrooms were excellet and food was great and service second to none .........

• Liked — great room servive and warm friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2007

My wife and I stayed at Abode for 1 night this October. The decor of the hotel is very nice and our Desirable room was extremely large. It also had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I also thought the price was quite resonable for a city centre hotel. All of the hotel staff we encountered were polite and helpful. We also had room service in our room at 3am. It arrived quickly and was of fantastic quality. There were however a number of problems with the hotel. When we first arrived, the reception had no record of our booking even though I had the internet confirmation in my hand. This wasn't a problem as there were other rooms available but if the hotel was fully booked then this would have caused a lot of problems. Once we arrived in our room we were upset to discover that our bathroom was something from an old peoples home, complete with shower seat and commode! I'm assuming that not all of the bathrooms are like this so I was unsure why we were given this one. Next I phoned reception to request an iron, and was informed one would be sent right up. One hour, and 3 calls later, i eventually went down and got the iron myself. The final problem we encountered was at breakfast the next morning. The organisation was an absolute shambles. We saw at least 5 tables have the wrong dishes served to them. Our own breakfast took nearly half an hour to arrive. All in all I think that the Abode hotel is an ok place to stay but in my opinion there are nicer options close by.

• Liked — Its city centre location
  • Disliked — Small problems that could have been avoided
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank braz16
Bolton
Reviewed 16 September 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during 5 days in Scotland.

The first ("Comfortable") room we were sent to (No caring staff here offering to help with luggage etc as I've always experienced in hotels of similar quality) is possibly the smallest hotel room in the UK with a miniscule bathroom. The enamel on the bath was worn through to the metal below. The room was at the front of the hotel, with lots of traffic noise & very dark.

My partner returned to Reception to complain & was assured this was a standard size room comparable with all hotels. Not in our experience! We were given the option to move - at a cost, as this would be an upgrade.

We lugged our bags to the 2nd ("Desirable") room which was much bigger & lighter. Again the bath enamel was worn through - we were told that they couldn't afford to do up the bathrooms yet.....!!

Unfortuantely it became apparent that the vents from the kitchen ran right outside our window, which were incredibly noisy. Reception assured us they would be shut off later in the evening once food service ceased. At 10 to 2 the following morning, after several frustrating hours without very little, fitful sleep, my partner phoned down to Reception to be told that someone must have forgotten to turn the extractors off & they'd do it now. At quarter to 6 we were awakened when the system started up again ready for breakfast - the noise was ridiculous! We phoned down to Reception again & my partner went to speak to the Duty Manager who agreed with us that the1st room we were shown was awful, said they'd had lots of complaints about noise in the 2nd room we'd been given & stated that we shouldn't have been charged an upgrade. We were now offered a 3rd room in which we could hopefully get some sleep, which we accepted & were promised another (free) upgrade the next day. Amazingly this 3rd room had the bath enamel intact (Woo hoo!). We managed to sleep til 11 - thus losing half a day of our holiday.

My partner went down to Reception to organise our upgrade & was told that we couldn't move ourselves, we had to wait for housekeeping. 45 minutes later we were still waiting so decided to go for lunch. The Receptionist's response as we left was "Oh you're ready to move now?" & a claim that she'd told us to ring down when we were ready, not to wait for housekeeping.....

Our final ("Enviable") room was a very nice room - though nothing particularly special - & the bath enamel was worn!!

In summary, the location of ABode is great & we went for an incredible meal in the Michael Cains restaurant - everything we could have hoped for, but then again we could've have eaten there as non-residents.

However, I have never witnessed as many customer complaints at check-out (when incidentally there is one member of staff on so you have to queue & queue. Perhaps this is to ensure you have the satisfaction of hearing what an awful time everyone else has had?!!)

When we checked out, staff tried to make amends by reducing our room rate & giving us our internet free, but unfortunately that doesn't make up for a lack of sleep & feeling stressed, rather than the relaxing time we'd anticipated.

All in all, the hotel is very expensive for what you get, particularly as breakfast is at an additional cost & there is no parking at the hotel. The multi storey you're directed to costs £10/day.

They seemed to have skimped on all the wrong things. Yes the toiletries are lovely, but find me a luxury boutique hotel without decent toiletries..!!

The "tuck box" in the room is NOT complimenatry, although I couldn't find anyone who realised they'd be charged as there was no price list - apparently psychic powers are a necessity if you stay here!

You even have to pay for mineral water in the room......!!

I would never choose to stay at an ABode hotel in the future & will be recommending to my family & friends that they avoid these hotels at all costs.....

Oh - & check your bill as there were restaurant items on ours which related to a different table.....

• Liked — Location to shopping
  • Disliked — Value for money
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 11 September 2007

This hotel is stunning, and in a great location. It was noisy, but the comfort of the bed and the fact that I was shattered meant that it didn't really bother me. My room was a perfectly good size, maybe I just got lucky! I had no problems at all with air con, keycards etc, all the staff were perfectly friendly and helpful and the evening meal I had in the cafe bar and the cooked breakfast were both lovely.
My only criticism is that for the price per night I would expect breakfast to be included. Oh, and a mini-bar in the room would have been nice!
Overall, I'd definitely go back.

• Liked — Location, lovely room.
  • Disliked — Expensive!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo