“Disappointing bland rooms in need of refurbishment”
Review of Abode Glasgow

Abode Glasgow
Ranked #44 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Barnsley
“Disappointing bland rooms in need of refurbishment”
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed for one night and that was enough! The grand, stylish reception and staircase area raised expectations that we had chosen well but the room quickly changed this view! Small, dingy, bland furnishings - the tiniest bathroom I have ever seen - the badly-fitting worn carpet was a trip hazard - the door to the bathroom didn't close properly - very disappointing! Good location, pleasant staff, nice breakfast - but the room let it down for us

• Stayed September 2013
David M, General Manager at Abode Glasgow, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Kathlmo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to my team and I here at The Arthouse, I'm disappointed that I did not get the chance to discuss with you in person your recent stay whilst you where resident with us. I have recently taking over the position of General Manager of the property, I encourage and welcome all feedback in person so that I can act and improve on our overall guest experience.

I'd be delighted to discuss your stay with you and the planned maintenance we have here for 2014.

Kind Regards.

David McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I frequently travel to Glasgow and for the first time decided to stay at this hotel. It is centrally located and seemed a good choice. It has a sort of art deco vibe to it, and has a lovely old lift. We arrived there quite late at night, and when we got to our room we were met by a really unpleasant smell. It was sort of chemically, but really strong. It was hard to believe that it had been left like that for someone to sleep in. We opened the windows to try to air the place and then couldn't get to sleep for the noise.We mentioned it the next morning at reception. The response was apologetic and informed us that 'bleach tablets' get put down the toilet which can cause a smell. we requested that the windows were left open throughout the day to avoid this happening again. When we returned later, the smell had returned, but as the windows had been left open it was less nauseating. The room was large, but paintwork poor and really below par for a hotel in this price bracket. We had one complimentary bottle of water that was not replaced when emptied and same for the coffees. There was no reduction in price offered, but we left knowing that we will never go back there again. Do yourself a favour-go to the Marriott instead!

Room Tip: Don't bother. This pretentiously named hotel is a waste of money.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked The Abode/Arthouse on the strength of having stayed at the Chester Abode - which is modern and top class, however, this hotel was a bit of a let down in comparison.
The 'enviable' room we had for several nights was tired and dated and we had a few minor issues but mainly, it was the disappointing state of the cramped bathroom, with grout along the bath that had long since seen better days. The room was large and the bed very comfortable and generally fairly quiet but the overall presentation of the room was dated with old furnishings and a broken cupboard door, plus air-conditioning that started to drip overnight, soaking the carpet and towels underneath and waking us up.
The duty manager said he would resolve the air-con and would have moved / upgraded us but he said the hotel was full. The air-con was duly fixed and the towels replaced and a basket of fruit placed in the room which included a whole pineapple - but no knife or plates etc were supplied. We noticed the same baskets of fruit in the breakfast room the next day.
On the plus side - it's 5-10 minutes walk from the the centre of town so the location is good.
Breakfasts and the breakfast staff were excellent and the staff overall, were friendly and helpful. Towels were of good quality too.
I don't usually write a review of this nature but sadly I feel I had to this time, as this hotel is advertising as a 4 star establishment; the staff are, the room we had...definitely wasn't.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Staff - Too few who seem to be trying to do everything, but nothing very well.

Room- Very tired, grubby bathrooms with dust, cracked tiles and some of the worst grouting I have ever seen.

There is a bar, but no one seems to use it. Receptionist turns up eventually, you ask her what the draft beer is as it doesn't have a label, Becks she thinks, then it runs out half way through pouring, most of which has gone into a bin.

Having stayed at several hotels in Glasgow, and as part of my work spending 100 nights in hotels every year I think this place just misses it. The staff would appear demoralized and untrained. The place sems to be run on a shoe string.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Helensburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

my 11 year old daughter & i stayed at the Arthouse in the summer for a wee summer treat . it was the first time we had stayed in a hotel just the two of us and it was a great experience... hotel was nice the breafast was great but the best part was friendly staff..especially Lewis who made us feel very welcome and chatted away to us when we got back in the evening would love to go back

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Adobe Arthouse Hotel on 16th August for just the one night. When we arrived I had to park over the road for the night (that adds an extra £15 to the cost which is unavoidable really) and checked in.

I thought the hotel looked nice and the staff were friendly. We were given the key to our room and when we entered we were hit with the most foul smell. The drains in the bathroom were blocked or something so we rang down to ask to change rooms. We were told that as the hotel was full there was no chance of us changing. I asked whether they had a sister hotel elsewhere in the city that they could transfer us to but they said they didn't have this option.

I explained that I was unhappy staying here as the smell was just horrible (even with the windows wide open) but they said there was nothing they could do. They said that they'd arrange for some sort of compensation to be given the following morning when we checked out.
The next morning we checked out and the staff on duty didn't know anything about the discussion the previous night and nothing had been noted in their book. The staff on shift couldn't offer us any discount but as the manager would be on shift later in the day they would call us to arrange something.

We're still waiting for that call.

Pretty shoddy service really. I'm not really one to complain but paying a fair amount for a night in a room that smells of drains is a smack in the face. And it massively killed any chance of romance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James L
David M, General Manager at Abode Glasgow, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
I was dissapointed to read your review on Tripadvisor, I have recently arrived at The Arthouse Glasgow to cover maternity leave and apologise for the lack of contact on the hotels behalf.

I would welcome the opportunity to rectify this for you, pelase feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards

David McLaughlin
Dublin
Reviewed 3 September 2013

First time here as place we normally stay was fully booked. Great location on Bath St, and beautiful old building. Staff friendly and efficient from reception onwards. Great old fashioned lift is a nice feature. Rooms and all public areas clean and well maintained. Our room was at the back of the hotel and perfectly quiet at night, I could imagine if your room was at the front there would be noise on the street at the weekend. We enjoyed our stay and could recommend this as a good alternative to the larger chain hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family