“Great location, ok hotel”
Review of ABode Glasgow

ABode Glasgow
Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen
“Great location, ok hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2008

It was the first time i had stayed at this hotel, I booked one night here for my husbands 40th birthday. First immpresions were great lovely building, friendly helpful staff. The reception area restaurants and landings were beautifully decorated and very clean. Then we seen our room.... small, dark and a view looking out to a brick wall and a very irratating fan out side the window. not what i expect when i pay over £100! Of course i complained and we moved to a room on the second floor. much better and a view onto the street, a little noisy but thats to be expected in the city centre of Glasgow. I slept well in the comfy bed and the bathroom was clean, the decor a little tired and in need of a revamp. We ate in the main restaurant and it was great , brilliant service and the food was just excellent! A good birthday treat. We also had breakfast which was also good, I prefer a buffet style this wasnt the case here but still a good plate full. An overall great night lots of choice of nice bars all within walking distance

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I stayed here when it was the 'Arthouse' back in 2000 and I always remember a gorgeous big room in a beautiful hotel. I aways wanted to take my girlfriend there so, having a weekend off, we booked a 'comfortable' room on a B&B rate.

Be aware, theres no car park at this hotel and if you leave your car in the NCP across the road it'll cost you £19 overnight so budget this in to your stay.

The reception and lift area is beautiful, just as I remember. Its when we got to our room we were dissapointed! Room 312 resembles a prison cell! It is tiny and with a small, high window that we had to stand on a chair to see out of! and there was only one seat in front of the mirror. Its probably just as well it was only a double bed as I don't think a king or even a queen bed would fit in the room. Even with the double, we had to walk sideways round the bottom of the bed!
The bathroom was tiny too, we had to shut the door to allow us to get in and out the shower/bath. The toiletries were nice though.

MCbar & grill downstairs was, I would say average, nothing special and the waiting staff were slow and forgetful. The table next to us came in and ordered 10 minutes after us but got their meal before us, and yes they had ordered the exact same starters and main meal as us!
The bar is a lovely area, with 'orange' mood lighting and lots of big TV's but be aware if you're on a budget, it is expensive, at £30 for 6 drinks, I won't do that again!

Breakfast was brought to the room at no extra charge, we probably wouldn't have made it down so its was great to get it delivered to our door. The food was great, fresh and nice.

The lift in this hotel are a real problem. Its an older lift with the gate that you have to pull open and close yourself. Only trouble there is that if someone doesn't close the gate when they get out, then the lift won't move. So if you're on the third floor waiting to go down with all your luggage and someone has got out at the another floor and not shut the gate behind them, no matter how many times you push the lift 'call' button, you'll be heaving your luggage down the stairs. Surely a new spring operated return gate is a must.

To sum up, we won't go back here. Its not as nice as I remembered it!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The lift
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I'd booked this hotel and was then concerned when I read some of the reviews. As a result, when I was given room 114, I asked for another because of the feedback on tripadvisor about the kitchen air conditioners. I got another room no problem and it was fantastic. Room 114 was very small and noisy. But room 205 was big, airy and very comfortable. The bed was very soft and there was AC. The basket of goodied people in reviews have complained about was there with a clearly visible pricelist. Not quite sure why you would presume it was free.

Staff were friendly and helpful throughout and we had lovely cocktails. Dinner in the Grill was ordinary at best, The only reason we ate there wasbecause it was part of the deaL. Better o go B&B and eat in Sarti's next door.

• Liked — Interesting building
  • Disliked — Mediocre food
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank poppypippin
Scottish Tourist
Reviewed 12 May 2008

The Abode Hotel is nothing more than just plain “average”. Public areas such as the reception and bar and restaurant areas are adequate- possible even “4 stars” but the bedrooms were barley 3 star standard and the bathrooms barley 2 star standard. A group of 8 friends ate at the MC Bar and Grill at night- never to be repeated. During the 3 hours it took us to get out 3 courses not once did anyone ask us if we wanted a drink? The men in our group took it in turns to go to the bar and order our drinks ourselves and carry them back to the restaurant. For £180 a night I was expecting something a lot more special than what we got. For anyone who is thinking about going to the Abode- I warn you in advance of the complete disappointment you will face when you open your bedroom door and even more so your bathroom door.
P.S. Not that I’ve had many in my life- but I’ve had a better burger at Murrayfield from a catering van than I got at the MC Bar and Grill for £8.75.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The rooms, bathrooms and service at the MC Bar and Grill
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ScottishTourist89
Glasgow
Reviewed 6 May 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Abode Hotel, Glasgow overnight recently and had an 'Enviable' room which is second highest on their tarriff. Exactly what was enviable about it, we're still trying to work out. At £170 per night, it isn't cheap and we were really expecting something a bit special for the money. Instead, we got an oversized room with all the trappings of a Travel Inn! First impressions of the hotel were good with a fairly nice reception area. Check in went without a hitch and we were given directions to our second floor room. The old fashioned open style elevator is a nice feature but the room numbers embroidered in the carpet were difficult to find (or at least I never spotted them straight away!). Opening the door to our room was a disappointment and the the en suite was just a standard bathroom you'd find in any hotel. We thought the shower over the bath was pretty poor for such a hotel and even worse was the naff shower curtain....why not have a seperate walk in shower?! Their website boasts of 'superior toiletries' ....as we couldn't see any, we guessed this meant a spare toilet roll.

The double bed (not even king size) was like sleeping on a sponge and the pillows were like sandbags so needless to say, no long lies the next day (just a sore a back). The seperate sitting area was nice but really just a couch and coffe table with two magazines on it. Basket of 'regional treats' were costly and simply not worth it....again, should have been included in the price of the room. LCD tv was a nice touch with dvd player but few channels to choose from. Huge stained glass window was nice but we guessed we were at the back of the hotel so gald we couldn't see out.

The breakfast, which we had included in our deal, was very good with a wide choice and something for everyone really. Staff were all very pleasent and the hotel was clean. Our room, despite being a disappointment was indeed very clean.

I can't really recomend this hotel because for the money, there are far superior hotels in Glasgow city centre to stay in... (Radisson & Malmaison).

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank alcondesign
Scotland
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Attended a function in the private dining room. Food and service were excellent, with helpful staff. However, the double room was the smallest double room I have ever stayed in - it was extremely cramped & my husband & I were bumping into each other - likewise, the bathroom was miniscule; th door had to be shut in order for there to be enough space to stand out of the bath. Not 4* standard at all.
Breakfast was good, although there was quite a wait for the cooked breakfast.
At check out, drinks and food which we hadn't had were on the bill - these were removed on asking but without apology or comment

• Liked — comfy pillows
  • Disliked — severe lack of space in bedroom & bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank retreatScotland
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2008

We were staying in Abode in Glasgow at the end of March this year, and must say it was a pretty unpleasant experience. Even though our window wasnt overlooking the kitchen, it was still bad - rooms definitely need being refurbished, everything is old and damp, curtains were dirty. It was also interesting to find a pricelist at the bottom of the basket with crisps and refreshmentsonce you finished them - bad practice! could have added a bit more to the overall room rate, but given the bloody snacks for free. The restaurant didnt impress either, waiters forgot what we ordered several times, although it was not busy at all! The bar was not as good either: long island ice tea was literally served in a shot...Our conclusion: will never go back!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Natucat