“Friendly,helpful staff and great location”
Review of Abode Glasgow

Abode Glasgow
Ranked #43 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Friendly,helpful staff and great location”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel as part of a commonwealth games package. 4 adults and 2 kids. Staff could not do enough to help us. They were friendly, helpful and had some great local knowledge which helped with our trip. The hotel was in an ideal location, reasonably priced and convenient parking for a city centre.
Hotel had a unique look and feel and was comfortable to stay in.
A great trip and returning to this hotel after a long day at the games was a bonus.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed for two nights for the Commonwealth Games, having booked a games package and been allocated The Art House. Positives: Great staff - all very friendly and helpful, ideally situated in the city centre and thus able to access games venues easily, as well as shops etc, great breakfast, lovely building. Negatives: slightly dated rooms, one, or two basic housekeeping issues, but dealt with by staff without fuss. Our room was adequate for a two night stay, because it was quite small and overlooked the kitchen, but we wouldn't like to have stayed for a week in that room. In fairness they offered us a change when we mentioned the minor housekeeping issues, but we were happy to stay put for such a short stay. Thank you to the staff. Really enjoyed Glasgow and the games.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the 24th July 2014, we were having a night out in Glasgow to celebrate our wedding anniversary so booked a superior double- all I can say is I would hate to see their most basic room if that was supposed to be a superior one! We stayed in rm 315 which was cramped, basic with rather tired decor and fittings. The bed was like a marshmallow which sank down as soon as you lay on it, so very uncomfortable.

The day we stayed was extremely hot, the AC system in our room wasn't working properly so we phoned reception to ask if someone could come up to fix it. When a man appeared, he said it was working fine, but that it was set to 19 degrees and could not go any lower. When we pointed out that the room was roasting and clearly warmer than 19, he said " just be glad you're not down in reception like me, it's boiling down there " then added " We're just not used to this weather in Glasgow". Despite us keeping the Ac on all night, the room was so hot we could not sleep.

This hotel has some nice features but the decor in General is a bit tired looking and it is not at all like a 4 star hotel, more like a 2 or 3 star at the most. We will not be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan S
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Couldn't fault the staff or the interior of the building on my visit and with a big car park just across the street (with discount), this has all the attributes to be a great boutique hotel at first sight. Unfortunately, the rooms (or mine, at least) were tired with furniture looking to have outstayed it's welcome and decor looking in need of a refresh. Perhaps unforgivably, given the ABode link, the restaurant no longer functions in the evening. Breakfast was fine, so they've not completely closed the kitchen but this hotel now fails to meet the romantic couples venue and the businessman's hotel venue target, so it's difficult to see what clientele they wish to attract.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Here for 3 weeks over the games - 1st week gone. Knowing that my room was not booked on a deal and given the length of my stay slightly disappointed that I wasn't upgraded like the rest of the reviewers seem to have been but hey it is Commonwealth Games time. The hotel is nice in a spectacular building. Bed extremely comfortable and bed linen extremely good quality. Little bit of attention needed to housekeeping but anything I have asked for - has been given immediately and with a smile. I find the staff all lovely but just wish that the restaurant staff would take into account that there are foreigners and they just need to slow down a bit when asking for their breakfast order or explaining what's on offer! What disappoints me though is the food. I am at a loss when in Scotland and there is an abundance of fresh red fruit which is the cheapest you'll get it for at any time in the year, that every morning since I've arrived I have faced a gradually decreasing bowl of pineapple and melon! This is a wonderful time to showcase the hotel and Scottish produce - what a shame that we are being served the same bland fruit everyday. I have eaten in the restaurant twice in the evening - the food is frankly not good. With one meal I know that my seasonal selection of mixed veg came out of a frozen bag! Eggs served in the morning - well least said soonest mended. But, please don't be put off coming here (unless it's for a gastronomic extravaganza). This is a great place to stay in an unbeatable location.

Room Tip: No minibars or fridge to keep things cool!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the Abode for just one night while in town for a conference. The location was excellent (not too far to walk from the airport shuttle bus stops), and the building is very impressive (lovely original features). The staff were very friendly and helpful.

My room was on the third floor - at the front of the building, and as the weather was hot, I did need to open the window for some air, which did mean quite a bit of street noise. However, fortunately I eventually got the air con to work, which mean peace and quiet and a cool room - great news! The room was, in my opinion, a bit tired, but it sufficed.

The restaurant is very much geared towards breakfast service - and the breakfast is good - but should be for the price! However I wouldn't recommend that you eat an evening meal here - perhaps just a quick drink before heading out - as the food is disappointing.

Overall, a good nights sleep though - and I would come back to the Abode (Arthouse) if in Glasgow again.

Room Tip: Top floor room to avoid the noise - and probably at the back of the hotel where you won't get th...
1 Thank Mis88
Ballogie, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here on business and was impressed. I got upgraded to a junior suite which was very spacious. Bed great. Breakfast was excellent and very generous. Would definitely stay here again. Its an old historic building and they have kept many original features