“Good weekend in Glasgow spoiled by a Bad Hotel”

City Aparthotel Glasgow
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glasgow
City Aparthotel Glasgow
glasgow
“Good weekend in Glasgow spoiled by a Bad Hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2007

Booked in there for a special weekend break for myself and wife. My wife checked in before me and when i turned up i couldn't believe the size of the bedroom; it was tiny! They had somehow managed to shoe-horn a double bed into what was certainly no bigger than a single bed room. I should add that the room was facing out into a dark dull alley-way.
I complained to the management and the manager then showed me a disabled room in the basement which wasn't suitable, and then a so called 'de-lux' room on the first floor. The room was better, but still no-where near the picture on the website (i believe they have taken a pic of the biggest room in the hotel for this!)
Not wanting to cause too much fuss and appreciating the efforts of the manager i agreed to take the room. Due to the fact we had a restaurant booking, i told him i'd have to leave moving the bags until later, and he said the staff would have them moved up to the room.
When i returned later that night the bags were not moved, and when we moved them up to the room, I couldn't believe how warm the room was. I hadn't noticed before, but there were hot water pipes running up the wall beside the window. We had to open the window all night and have the fan running constantly, and even then I woke up in the morning in an uncomfortable sweat.
The is at a time during the mildest August in Glasgow for years - (i know because iI live in Glasgow)

The breakfast was continental, although expect no more than packet croissant/muffin, small boxes of cereal and tea and coffee.

Now, i'll have to say something good about the hotel!
The free minibar is a nice touch, even if it is low stocked. The TV's are also good (playsation/DVD's in some rooms, but not ours!) The en-suite was nice although the fan was terribly noisy.
The manager tried to be helpful to be fair to him, but the hotel was pretty booked.
And the decor was as nice as it could be, but as we say in Glasgow....

".........ye canny polish a sh**e!"

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — size of the room, plus others.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2007

Stayed here in winter 2006. Arrived and the receptionist said that I did not have a booking! I said I made the booking a few weeks back and he said well I have no word of it. I had booked an apartment but there were none so I got put in a grubby hotel room. The rooms are very dark and the light in my room did not even work! There was only a small lamp that had a 40 watt bulb in it. It is a very noisy hotel with a lot of drunk people going past shouting outside the hotel. You can also hear the Glasgow underground trains going underneath the hotel which helps keep you awake! The breakfast is awful and was £8! The same bread lying out for 3 days straight! You usually find the staff on the doorstep smoking! There was also a fire alarm at 3am so everyone was on the street then they said there was a short circuit and to go back to bed! A DISGRACE OF A HOTEL, STAY IN A TRAVEL LODGE OR SOMEWHERE BETTER FOR THE MONEY!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Noise, dark, dirty, unprofessional staff
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 18 June 2007

As ever on trip advisor, there seems to be a few contradicting reviews so i'll do my best to get my opinion across. I arrived at the newly named Best Western City Hotel & Apartments in Elmbank St on 18th June for 1 night in Glasgow.

Despite having to park in the NCP which doesn't strike me as the safest place in the world, it was just across the street and easy to find a spot (considering its in the city centre). I was greated by a very helpful and friendly receptionist who offered me an opportunity to stay an additional night if I needed to. I was also surprised that she told me I had an apartment across the road from their hotel.

The apartment is VERY spacious and just a 1 minute walk from the hotel, has a large self sufficient kitchen with washing machine, cooker, fridge freezer, dishwasher etc. Generally its very clean although there are some marks on the walls... It was a little strange not to have any Satelitte tv, wifi or room service, but the wifi was solved as Glasgow is a wifi city (although its not a very strong signal.)

The hotel is 10 minutes walk from town through lots of trendy bars and restaurants, it also has several convenience stores very close for stocking up on meals and basics.

Anyway overall I was very impressed, its very secure, very comfortable and surprisingly cost effective. I'd definately book again...

• Liked — Location and loads of space!
  • Disliked — The NCP carpark across the road
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
Aberdeen
Reviewed 4 June 2007

Myself and my boyfriend wanted a short shopping break to Glasgow and when I saw the internet rate for this hotel and after seeing the previous trip advisor reviews we went ahead and booked a king suite for 2 nights.

When we arrived we were advised we could park the car in the NCP next door however we went to an alternative NCP car park about 5 mins away which we used when staying with Malmaison last year. The one next to the hotel didn't look very safe or inviting (during the 2 nights we were there 3 car alarms went off). Although the other one we used cost £24 for the 2 days and nights we still felt it was worth it for the peace of mind.

The king suite was very roomy but very dark. There were a few niggles with the tv not working and a wet patch on the carpet that never seemed to dry out. The room itself is very noisy at night and the double bed was made up of 2 singles pushed together.
Other people made mention of the complimentary minibar in their reviews. Have to say - what minibar? We got 2 single measures of gin and 2 single measures of whisky in huge decanters and that was it. Unlucky if you drink anything else and there was nothing else in the fridge you could have - even if you were happy to be charged for the odd pack of pringles or can of coke. The express breakfast is very basic. Coffee/tea and prepacked danish pastries and muffins which looked very greasy.

All in all we were glad we only paid the internet special rate because I would have been complaining to the manager if we had paid the normal rate for this room. We won't be going back.

• Liked — shower was good
  • Disliked — dark gloomy decor, location
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 25Lisa09
Amiens, France
Reviewed 1 June 2007

This hotel is now run as Best Western.
Nice building. Quiet street.
Small rooms.
Friendly welcome.
We stayed for 2 nights. They didn't make the room after the 1st one!
The most disastrous is the standard breakfast: only coffee or tea with industrial croissants to take in the loundge (without tables...). If you want to take a continental breakfast, you have to pay 8 £ more!
During the 1st night, drunk people were yelling outside (among litter containers behind the hotel) for several hours and we couldn't sleep!
Comparing with Paris (I'm French), I think it's too cheap.

• Liked — the building
  • Disliked — standard breakfast and room not made
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 May 2007

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in March 2007. Our (double) room was really small and dark (no view, just a wall), bathroom was quite dirty and we had to ask for extra cleaning.
The blond receptionist was lovely and helpful but the other one (Asian?) wasn't very polite.
Oh, and don't buy their breakfast - waste of money!!
But to be fair - the location is perfect.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
Sacramento, Ca
Reviewed 21 April 2007

We stayed at the City Aparthotel for two nights during our honeymoon. Though it was tiring to drag our luggage uphill from the train station, it turned out to be a great location close to lots of good restaurants, shopping and nightlife (we explored Glasgow on foot). The room was a bit small but made up for it in style and ammenities. Sometimes a bath tub is hard to come by! We enjoyed the free first night minibar, cable tv, and had a pleasant check in/out experience.

• Liked — Really nice room.
  • Disliked — The room could have been a little bigger.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple