“it was okay”

Glasgow Marriott Hotel
Ranked #46 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Stayed here one night before heading to the airport. Had 2 rooms. After arriving from Edinburgh's train station, we were told that the hotel was a short distance away. As such, we decided to walk to the hotel -- big mistake. if you want a hotel near the center of town, this hotel is not it. It is located in the middle of no where and the surroundings look a bit dicey. Upon arrival at the hotel, we had to wait for the desk staff to finish their private conversations before they waited on us. Given that we were tired, we just wanted to get to our rooms. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable, but I'm glad that we only stayed one night as the staff seemed a bit aloof. Pool was very small.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,022)

Reviewed 18 August 2011

I would like to take this opportunity to express a special thanks to Mr. Martin Roberts who has been in attendance at the 12th floor Executive Lounge. He is the kindest, most cordial and accomadating person I have ever met in a Hotel Club room venue. He should be offered an opportunity to be involved with customer relations or raised to a management position in way of customer services.

For reference:
knaquin@mcdermott.com

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This is an excellent hotel with very friendly and courteous staff. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night and the food and service where outstanding.
Our room was very comfortably furnished and was very clean.
Room service breakfast was provided at the times requested and was also of an excellent standard.
Hotel is in an excellent location for shopping and the SECC.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I was looking for an American chain of expectations and found it here. We booked an Standard Double Room and were happy with our 7 night stay. The room was serving four people, so it was a little tight, but we were only in the room to sleep. The restaurant offered GREAT food for dinner and even eating in the bar offered pub food. Everyone was exceptionally nice in this hotel. The Concierge staff was top notch! The hostess in the restaurant particularly stood out to me as being very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was a little pricey at 15 pounds ( especially for my teenaged children who didn't eat much). The dinner options ( at the restaurant) were priced as expected but I didn't seem to mind paying for the dinner vs breakfast. I didn't like the internet charges. For this type of hotel, the price should be included. However, I hear this is how it is all over the UK. I purchased a SIM 3G card for my Ipad and was good to go all week. Location was just a few blocks from Buchanan Street ( great shopping) and Anderston Underground was just about a block away. Central Station was abotu three blocks away. Everything was within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Nothing to look at from the outside but situated a 10 minute walk from the city centre. Good sized rooms in good condition, and clean. Helpful friendly staff, parking available on site £8 per day.Nice breafast with plenty of choice, good service and o que despite warning from management that was busy. Ok prices in bar.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This review is from a stay in late 2010 that I have just got around to writing up.

I stayed at the Marriott in the latter part of 2010 while in Glasgow for a week on work. Upon arrival the reception staff were friendly and polite and informed me that there was minor renovation taking place in the hotel. As I proceeded to check I was told that no room had been booked for me (which was weird as the room had been booked 2 weeks previously and had been double checked before I arrived). Anyhow the receptionist quickly found me a room and everything was sorted. While heading to the room we noticed that there were obvious signs that the hotel was in some stage of renovation however I would say that it was more than 'minor'. My room was on the upper floors and by the looks of it had been refurbished to a very high standard (A work colleague who was also staying at the hotel told me that his room appeared to be dated somewhat. His room was on the lower levels so I imagine they started at the top and worked there way down. The hotel bar served great food and the service was excellent. The hotel had a pool/spa area but I never got the chance to check this out but heard good things from people who found the time check.

Because the hotel claimed that I did not have a room booked in advanced I was simply given a room on the day I arrived, upon check-out they charged me the standard rate instead of the corporate rate that my work colleagues were charged, which worked out at an extra couple of hundred pounds. I explained all this to the reception and I was told there was nothing she could. I asked to speak to a manager and he quickly sorted it out and my room rate was dropped.

Although I was not able to do a lot of 'touristy' stuff, what I can say is that the hotel is in the city centre and although there was work being done on the hotel, it was overall an excellent stay and if I found myself in Glasgow again I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights last month on the way back from the highlands of scotland.

Found an online deal to stay here for a Friday and Saturday night for around £140 including breakfast.

In all honesty it does exactly what a marriott should. We got there around 10:30pm after a long drive and thankfully I roughly know my way round glasgow city centre as the postcode given takes you off the motorway and back onto the sliproad onto it again! If you stay here load Argyll Street into your nav unit and follow it away from the city centre and you will see it on the right.

The hotel was nice enough.. very 80's on the outside.. and probably quite 90's on the inside however it was well equipped.

I have to stay the staff in the hotel were superb from the front counter staff, the bar staff and those that looked after you in the morning for breakfast. Very chatty and friendly so made it a great place to stay.

Arrived late on the friday night so ordered from the room service menu and ate at the bar. Food was good enough although regular room service and tray charge makes a burger at £15 look steep no matter how good it is!

Great scottish breakfast available.

Only niggle was the room was boiling... ironic being that we were staying in scotland.. there seemed to be a problem with the air conditioning as when turned on all it did was blow out hot air!

Do not use the wireless internet... its horrifically expensive.... so do not pair your iphone or BB up to it!

Decent bathroom.. nice bed.. good LCD TV and very central (5 minutes walk) to the city centre. Ideal for a weekends break in this city!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple