“Average experience… stolen from!”

Glasgow Marriott Hotel
Ranked #45 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Average experience… stolen from!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel last friday. I hadn't stayed in a Marriott before but i knew it was a good quality hotel.

While the hotel itself is very nice, i wasn't very impressed with my room and some of the facilities. It was the perfect size room for my fiancee and I. I went to have a bath before dinner to find there was NO cold water at all, the water was extremely hot. I decided to have a shower and it was the same issue. I didn't pay £100 for a room to be scalded. After my shower i went to blow-dry my hair.. i noticed that the hairdryer was quite old-fashioned and looked like it had seen better days. I noticed there was something lightning up inside the hairdryer and then sparks started to fly out into my hair!! Not very impressive. I got another hairdryer from reception but ended up having to wait on a mantience man for half an hour while they could fix it all because he didn't have a key.

i was excited to use the spa facilities. However, that was a disappointment. It was very out the way of the hotel, and a further 5 minute walk in your bathing suit just to get to the spa facility! not very good for people who have confidence issues!!

I also noticed on my return home that i had left an item of clothing in the hotel. I rang up housekeeping/lost and found and there was no report of my missing item. I don't have it at home and i didn't empty my case until a few days ago. So rather than doing a nice gesture by handing it in to lost and found the maid cleaning our room obviously stole it!! I would recommend a better hotel called the Thistle 5 minutes away!!

2 Thank JennalovesParis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here on Saturday night after deciding to get away for a night.
We have stayed here previously and find it an ideal base for the city centre.
The rooms are spacious enough for two and the beds comfortable , we didn't like the small square pillows on this visit though! We ate out but did have breakfast in the morning. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff on the door who made us feel welcome. The breakfast buffet was well stocked with lots of variety. Staff all very pleasant and professional and would not hesitate to stay here again

1 Thank kazf7233
Cork Ireland
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I booked this hotel because I like a gym, pool and a decent room. You would think a brand like Marriott would have high standards but this fails on many counts. It's old fashioned and needs a makeover. The pool was down six flights of steps and was very poor (cracked tiles etc). When I came back from dining out I sat in the bar and ordered a glass of wine which took 10 minutes to arrive. When I asked 'where it was' I was told 'we're busy, you're in a queue'. I booked 3 nights and left after one. Says it all.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1 Thank ghie
Lynne F, Front Office Manager at Glasgow Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for your comments.

We are due to be starting a hotel refurbishment this year which will also include our leisure club and access to the leisure club.

I would like to apologise for your experience in our Chats Bar and I have passed your comments to our Bars Manager to ensure that this is not repeated.

Once again, thank you for your comments as we value all customer feedback.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Myself and a friend chose to stay at this hotel as we were going to an art exhibition at the Kelvingrove Gallery. Just want to say that I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a stay. The staff are friendly and welcoming. the rooms are spacious enough for two people and we had the added bonus of a double bed each. Although it would appear we were situated near a busy road junction there was no noise to be heard once you were in your room. the rooms were clean and the bathroom spotless. The linen was fresh crisp and clean. The beds were very very comfy:)We had breakfast at the hotel and there was a good choice and again very nice staff serving .The cooked breakfast was nicely cooked and not at all fatty or greasy.The other thing I enjoyed was been able to use the pool and sauna. Just nice to be able to relax. for what I paid ifelt I got very good value for money and thought the hotel was in a good location for attractions and shopping:)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimmydpink
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Marriott hotels tend to be similar in every city, or country. This property like many others is convenient and well-placed for easy access to city center locations. Rates are good & overall condition better than most, a bit dated but clean and neat.

My room was on the fifth floor and was very quiet despite the busy & noisy motorway nearby. Fixtures and fittings were all in good order and a strong, hot shower started the day perfectly.

I had executive lounge access and could have had breakfast there but I chose the restaurant for its greater variety and higher quality. Free wifi was available throughout the hotel, thanks! Finally, my compliments to the hotel staff - great job folks!!

Recommended ++++

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed for two nights mid Jan; visiting with a friend. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable with a double bed each! The staff were friendly and courteous and went out of their way to rectify the only problem we had.

Sadly on the first night our neighbouring room consisted of a group of cabin crew. In the early hours of the morning they could be heard screaming horrific abuse at each other broken up with occasional drinken laughter together with bizarre banging which went for what felt like hours. Staff could be heard visiting the room to ask them to keep it down several times which they were unable to do. My friend had wisely brought ear plugs but alas, I had sadly not. This was not the hotel's fault and when, the following morning, I went to enquire as to whether the giddy group would be staying again they confirmed not, which was relief enough. The staff then apologised profusely and said that as we had booked via a third party they could not offer recompense (worth noting in general for hotel bookings in case of problems). However we were not looking for this. They asked if there was anything they could do and we requested a later check-out which was arranged. They then offered us complimentary lunch in the hotel bar which we took up the following day and included soft drinks and coffee.

Breakfast on both mornings was excellent - variety and quality. My friend sampled the restaurant on one night which she said was good. Bar service was also good and we were able to use free wi-fi here. I agree with other reviews regarding the hefty cost for in-room wi-fi. Could this be reduced/reviewed?

The sauna and steam room were fine. The pool is a bit shallow and there is no jacuzzi. The spa area looks a little dated but is fine for a quick dip.

We booked via a third party and it worked out approx 41 pp per night inc. breakfast which, considering we each had a double bed, was good value.

Overall we would definitely stay again assuming the price is right. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Not sure really. Think we just had bad luck with our neighbouring guests. Be assured staff will atte...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed here on a business trip just for one night in an executive room with lounges access. What a great move the hospitality was excellent the service was excellent and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone needing some where to stay in Glasgow.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business