“Disappointing stay”

Glasgow Marriott Hotel
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My partner and I were looking forward to staying at the Glasgow Marriott for valentines weekend. When I booked I asked the receptionist on the phone if I could book an upgraded room in advance to be told it was only subject to availability .. Surely you can reserve one of these rooms by paying for it? So I just left it and asked when we arrived at the hotel to be told it was now full but we shouldn't have been told that as it is possible to book an upgraded room ln advance. When we got to our room it was very tired looking. I then noticed the big disabled bathroom door to find we had been given a disabled room after asking for a nice room at booking due to it being a special occasion as they couldn't give as in upgrade. I tried to ignore this and then went to put some drinks in the fridge to find it wasn't working and there was a strong smell coming from it and noticed that the top of it was filthy and full of lathers of dust! We stay regularly in Glasgow hotels and this had to be the worst stay we had had which you wouldn't expect from a Marriot hotel. We stayed at the marks hotel the following night and found the rooms etc of much better standard than the marriot! We used the swimming pool the following day which needs a serious revamp! And walking from the changing rooms to the pool is freezing wish I had a dressing gown for that. Can't fault the breakfast or staff at checkin though they were fantastic!

• Stayed: February 2014
Lynne F, Front Office Manager at Glasgow Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

I would like to apologise that our reservation agents did not make it clear that the room type preferred must be booked at the time of making the reservation. If you had preferred to wait and upgrade on the day then the rooms would have been subject to availability. The hotel
was fully booked for Executive Rooms for this weekend.

I have asked our housekeeping department to check your room,our mini bars were sealed closed as we no longer have this facility in the bedrooms.

I have passed your comments to our Leisure Club Manager regarding the walk from the changing rooms to the pool.

It is positive to hear that the front desk staff and restaurant staff looked after you well.

Once again, thank you for your very valued feeback.

There are newer reviews for Glasgow Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you're looking for a nice, clean, centrally located hotel that offers excellent cooked breakfasts then this one is for you!
The room we stayed in was a decent size with 2 double beds and the bathroom was clean. Loads of clean towels were provided too. I have stayed in other hotels with fancier interiors but there really was nothing wrong with our room that I could see. The wifi wasn't an issue as there was 3G available and free wifi in the bar / lounge area, which was massive with plenty of seats. There is also a dedicated car parking area and we had no problem getting parked.
In terms of sleep quality, as it's a large hotel that is centrally located, there was some noise from revellers returning from enjoying the city's nightlife, but you get that with most city hotels. Housekeeping were a bit noisy in the morning though!
The buffet breakfast was excellent and well worth the money.
We didn't try the leisure club but did use the bar which was fairly reasonably priced, they also sold Starbucks coffee which was handy.
The staff here were very nice and were generally very helpful.
If we come back to stay in Glasgow we would definitely consider staying at The Marriott again.

Room Tip: Our room was on 3rd floor and couldn't fault it. Maybe try to avoid being near the Housekeeper...
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and l regularly stay in Glasgow hotels and this was one of our worst experiences. The hotel is very tired but granted room was clean. The pool is old dirty and along two corridors and a flight of stairs away from changing rooms. Knowing this why on earth do they not give you flip flops and a gown? Instead you are freezing and self conscious. We went to sleep at midnight only to be woken by people next door having a full blown party at half one in the morning. Not the hotels fault but when we asked a) to be moved or b) to check out and for a taxi to be paid to take us home (£30 max), the duty manager rudely refused both. He said he had exited the people not staying in the hotel and that the guests had went back out. I said surely this means they will return and wake us all over again and he said maybe but thats the way it is. It was a room with adjoining rooms at either side so it was very loud and at 3.30am they came in again, music blaring but even worse, we had to listen for half an hour to the guests spewing up very loudly almost as if in our room! Discusting. I called reception again hoping to be moved but the duty manager was 'unavailable'. We put the radio on and pillows over our ears just to get through the night. Instead of a nice relaxing valentines weekend, we were exhausted next day and when checking out we were not even asked how our stay was...maybe a note on screen saying dont ask? Who knows. Anyway, letter of complaint on route and will never ever use this hotel again. What l must say though is, duty manager aside, the staff are amazing, friendly and professional just a pity the management don't follow suit.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in an adjoining room.
1  Thank Booked765
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Marriott is at the end of Argyle Street and within 10 minutes walk of shops and restaurants, very good.

If you want WiFi in the hotel then you have to pay £15 a day! Yes £15 a day! This technology is nothing new and indeed I can walk into my tiny little village café and get great WiFi for the princely sum of nothing, as I can in my local pub, my local barbers, my local Indian Restaurant! To charge any sort of money is ridiculous but £15 just takes the biscuit!

The room however had 2 lovely double beds and were very clean and tidy as should be expected but the heating system was straight from a 1970's holiday apartment in Benidorm! I actually laughed out loud when I saw it.

We were in the front of the hotel and it was quiet.

Reception was very nice and well staffed.

We will not be going back purely because I don't want to be paying £15 for WiFi and £8 to park my car per day. This I expect for nothing. Obviously this is so they can reduce the price of the room and then get you with added extras.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynne F, Front Office Manager at Glasgow Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

Marriott offer a faster, secure premium network in our bedrooms, however we do offer free wi-fi connection in all public areas.

Our car parking is competively priced with all city centre hotels and we advise of this on our home page and all agents pages.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for a single night in Janury 2014 while visiting Glasgow for an Event. We had intended going out for Dinner in the evening but after seeing the menu in the restaurant we decided to eat in the Hotel, we are very glad we did as the meal was delicious and very reasonably priced. The service was second to none. There is also a Bar Menu with a good range of alternatives.

The room was very clean and comfortable with a large king size bed, only one minor complaint is that being quite tall the shower head was sited a little low.

The Hotel is very central and a short taxi ride to events at the Hydro and SECC.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Polstar55555
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel last friday. I hadn't stayed in a Marriott before but i knew it was a good quality hotel.

While the hotel itself is very nice, i wasn't very impressed with my room and some of the facilities. It was the perfect size room for my fiancee and I. I went to have a bath before dinner to find there was NO cold water at all, the water was extremely hot. I decided to have a shower and it was the same issue. I didn't pay £100 for a room to be scalded. After my shower i went to blow-dry my hair.. i noticed that the hairdryer was quite old-fashioned and looked like it had seen better days. I noticed there was something lightning up inside the hairdryer and then sparks started to fly out into my hair!! Not very impressive. I got another hairdryer from reception but ended up having to wait on a mantience man for half an hour while they could fix it all because he didn't have a key.

i was excited to use the spa facilities. However, that was a disappointment. It was very out the way of the hotel, and a further 5 minute walk in your bathing suit just to get to the spa facility! not very good for people who have confidence issues!!

I also noticed on my return home that i had left an item of clothing in the hotel. I rang up housekeeping/lost and found and there was no report of my missing item. I don't have it at home and i didn't empty my case until a few days ago. So rather than doing a nice gesture by handing it in to lost and found the maid cleaning our room obviously stole it!! I would recommend a better hotel called the Thistle 5 minutes away!!

2  Thank JennalovesParis
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here on Saturday night after deciding to get away for a night.
We have stayed here previously and find it an ideal base for the city centre.
The rooms are spacious enough for two and the beds comfortable , we didn't like the small square pillows on this visit though! We ate out but did have breakfast in the morning. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff on the door who made us feel welcome. The breakfast buffet was well stocked with lots of variety. Staff all very pleasant and professional and would not hesitate to stay here again

1  Thank kazf7233