“Good for a quick stay”

Glasgow Marriott Hotel
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here after I arrived from the airport for a business trip. The staff was very accommodating as I arrived early and they found me a great room so I could get some sleep. Even though it is next to the motorway I did not hear the noise at all and the ride from the airport was short.
When I woke up I walked to find food and the staff again sent me in the right direction. The breakfast in the morning was very good.

While I agree the hotel needs some updating it works for a business traveler.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Glasgow Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The shining spot of the hotel really came down to the staff; otherwise, I would have ranked this a 2 star property. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to get my room ready even though I was checking in very early. I couldn't have asked for better service.

However, like others have mentioned when it comes to accommodations, this is your standard (on the lower side of standard) Marriott. The room was a nice size but everything was showing the wear and tear. The bed was ok but the linens were scratchy and uncomfortable. I was not impressed with the neighborhood, while it was only a 5 - 10 walk into center city, it was a bit sketchy in spots and I was walking alone making it very uncomfortable.

I had trouble getting hot water for a shower on most days and resorted to showering at night to be safe.

Overall, it was okay but not great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Lynne F, Front Office Manager at Glasgow Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

I have passed you comments to our Executive Team to discuss and I am delighted to read that the front desk staff went out of their way to allocate your room for your early arrival and check in was exceptionally smooth.

Once again, thank you for your very valued feedback.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is fairly standard city centre Marriott situated near to a motorway but very close to the city centre and virtually backing on to the Hilton (which is a 5 star compare to this at a 4 star although both ratings are on the generous side).

There is a small lobby and bar area and a large restaurant. The breakfast was good with a standard Scottish buffet breakfast but not much refinement.

The room was a decent size, a nice comfortable bed and the staff were helpful. I did however have some gripes:-

1. £15 for 24 hours of wifi is a complete rip-off;

2. It was unfortunate that 2 days in a row there were early morning fire alarms which suggests an issue that needs to be resolved;

3. No fridge or mini bar in the room. There clearly used to be but it had been removed and the spaced boarded over. With the admittedly unusually hot weather it was annoying not be able to keep drinks cool in the room.

4. A badly chipped bath showed that the property is in need of some updating.

Overall this is a perfectly OK place probably suited to tour groups.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

I have passed your comments to our Executive Commitee and I am delighted to read that you did have an enjoyable stay with us. Our hosts do strive to ensure that our guests do have a wonderful stay.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked a twin room and it was large and came with 2 separate double beds. The bathroom was looking a little tired and it would have been nice to have had complementary water in the rooms (instead of paying £4.95 for a 750ml bottle). Staff were efficient and polite. Pool is a decent size but it's like a maze trying to get to it. It's in a good location, walking distance from Central Station.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank fooooody
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The rooms here are what you would expect from a Marriott Hotel. Very comfortable beds and all the little extras, made for a good stay. Great location with about a 5 minute walk to the station and into the heart of Glasgow city. Breakfast was buffet style with a good range of fruit, cheeses, pastries, hot foods etc. No complaints, only praise with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for an anniversary break and found it a great hotel. Used all the facilities and had a good nights sleep. Quiet enough to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre but only a couple of minutes in a taxi and you are right back in about the city.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank bolt-ya-rocket
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel in May with my family to use the bar/lounge for food and drinks whilst visiting Glasgow for the theatre.

I have used the hotel for both restaurant and overnight stays in the past. The hotel is getting a bit tired but I've always found the service good.

This time, however, I wish I'd never gone near it. We parked in the hotel car park for which there was a charge of around £2 for the time we stayed. The hotel contracts out parking charges to a parking firm called Parking Eye. Google them. You'll not find anything nice said about them!

On the evening in question, I went to the reception desk to ask if I could pay for parking. They pointed me to a machine in the lobby. It was out of order. I returned to the desk to try to pay. They said they couldn't take payment unless I was a resident. I asked what I should do since the machine was out of order. They shrugged their shoulders and said they couldn't help.

I've subsequently had a parking charge notice for £100! My explanation of the situation has been waved aside and I am now getting letters from a debt agency. They offer no mechanism for independent appeals.

Shame on you Marriott for using these profiteers.

I won't be back. I can't risk the harassment if there's a parking problem again.

Stayed: May 2014