“Popular, Well Appointed, but Pricey”
Review of Champagne Central

Champagne Central
Ranked #236 of 2,473 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Came here for a drink with friends before heading off on the Caledonian Sleeper. It's very popular and we had to invade personal privacy a little to get a seat - it's like the trains where people put coats, etc on the seats next to them and have to be asked to make room!

The decor is very plush and fits well with the name of the joint. Staff are very attentive, however the prices are astronomical and you could get better value in Finland or any other Scandinavian uber-pricey bar or restaurant.

A splendid stairway leads up to the bar and the buzz of conversation builds as you make your way along the hallway - it certainly has atmosphere.

Laurie N, Manager at Champagne Central, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your experience within Champagne Central. All feedback is greatly appreciated as we constantly strive to improve ourselves to create the best service possible for our customers.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused for you during your time with us, we do have a fluctuating amount of footfall so sometimes the bar can be very busy. Regarding your experience with our service we are glad that it met your expectations as this is an area we pride ourselves in.

Our prices are created by Head Office, in England and therefore does not necessarily mirror a geographical area, so we can only apologise for the prices but hope that the drinks were enjoyed.

We hope overall your experience was satisfied and we hope you return again in near future.

Champagne Central

There are newer reviews for Champagne Central

Reviewed 21 June 2014

It is - in my opinion - a very fine bar. The decor is excellent [ as is the whole restoration of the Central Hotel ] and you can enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail overlooking the Station concourse.

There are very few establishments like this - St Pancras station perhaps or Grand Central Station spring to mind - but its a throwback to the era of showpiece Station Hotels when travelling did not involve Budget airlines and the like !

So although Glasgow is not short of bars - this is one of the best - and a great place to spend Cocktail hour\start your evening.

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate you positive feedback left on Trip Advisor regarding your experience with our Champagne Central Bar.

We love to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and how highly you think of our bar! We pride ourselves in our atmosphere which is created not only by our decor but the high footfall we attract, and all the different type of customers that enjoy visiting our establishment.

We hope you return again in the near future to gain another grand experience from us!

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We really like going here. Service is very good and the choice of drinks are many. It is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.
Lovely seating areas where you can really relax with friends or a great place for a business meeting. Really good vibe here and visit as often as I can when im in Glasgow.

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience in Champagne Central.

We are glad to hear that you enjoy visiting ourselves and that you always receive the high standard of service that we pride ourselves in. All of our prices are decided by Head Office in England and therefore does not necessarily mirror a geographical area, but are happy to hear you think they are worth the treat!

We attract an extremely high footfall and therefore cater to many different types of guests like you said, which possibly adds to the great atmosphere with such a mix of customers. We greatly appreciate you kind feedback and will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our staff.

We look forward to another returning visit from yourself in the near future!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I were really looking forward to our visit to the Champagne Bar for Afternoon Tea as we had been on other occasions and had a great time. Unfortunately he same cannot be said about this visit. I should have expected some issues when I saw how busy the Bar was due to there being a Wedding on a the same time as our visit. We were politely shown to our seat and before the girl could rush away my wife managed to request some small dietry issues with the sandwiches (no butter, egg or fish). The girl said she would relay this to the Chef. We sat down and waited and waited and waited until eventually and extremely apologetic waitress came to say sorry for our wait and to say the Chef will have our food ready as soon as he could. The Bar was extremely busy at this point (Saturday afternoon) with wedding gusts and those in for afternoon tea. I don't know why they were so understaffed with only 2 girls trying to deal with the ones in for Afternoon Tea but surely the management would have realised with it been saturday afternoon with a wedding on in the same location more staff should have been in. I cannot fault the waitress who dealt with us Her name was Bethany and if it wasn't for her wonderful pleasnt attitude I think we would have left. To make up for the lateness of our food and drinks we were offered extra glasses of Champagne which was appreciated. I was hoping the lateness of the food would be the only issue but when the tray arrived we were disappointed to find most were egg based sandwiches!!! We cannot fault the other items on served to us as the scones with jam and clotted cream were delicious as were the cakes on the top tier which we couldn't finish.
I was extremely disappointed with our visit as I am a big fan of the Grand Central Hotelbut I think I will need to think twice of coming back as it was not the special occasion my wife deserved. Lastly I would like to make a special mention of the waitress Bethany who went out of her way to try and remedy the problems. Shame on the management.

Laurie N, Manager at Champagne Central, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience in Champagne Central. We greatly appreciate all feedback concerning peoples visits as we are continuously improving ourselves.

We apologise for any inconveniences caused for you and your wife during your visit in our Champagne Bar. Your comments regarding the poor service during your visit we apologise again as we normally pride ourselves in high quality customer service. Champagne Central receives a high number of footfall and as you have mentioned in your review there was also a wedding on, on this date and could be the reason for the lower standard of customer service due to the high volume of guests.

We thank you for bringing your concerns about the dietary requirements to our attention. This issue will be taken to our Executive Chef so the staff working on that day can be notified and to make sure this will not happen again. We will also pass on the praise you have mentioned to the appropriate members of staff to let them know that they're customer service is of the high standard we strive for.

We hope this experience has not deterred you from returning again, as we see you have been quests previously. We hope you return again in the near future, so we can make your next experience a better one.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I had booked an afternoon tea for myself, wife and 4month old baby girl and could not have been more disappointed with the service.

I work away a lot and thought I would surprise my wife to a relaxing afternoon with our baby girl, I had originally booked the blythswood hotel but after reading reviews on trip advisor I decided the grand Central had slightly better reviews on there afternoon tea, so I canceled my original booking. Granted it was a last minute change on the day however I was told they had space available and without any hesitation they took my booking.

When we arrived you could see the hotel was very busy which you would expect on a Saturday with guests checking in and on top of that a. wedding in procession.

We made our way up to the champagne Terence which was packed and waited at the desk as the sign explained (wait to be seated) a good 5mins later a girl (who I found out later to be the supervisor) appeared, Not a problem because it was fairly busy although standing in a crowded bar with a 4 month old in a buggy is not ideal. She asked our name, it became clear that our booking had not been passed onto her and she was unable to find our reservation.

Understandably she did her job and tried to get to the bottom of it asking if it could be under another name ect.
Now I can understand that it was busy, I can also understand that sometimes things do get lost in translation however what happened next infuriated me.
Whilst we were waiting a que was forming behind us, and half way thought dealing with us trying to resolve our booking another member of staff who by the looks of it was escorting a guest had pushed round us and was directing her attention to there booking.

Now this is what prompted this trip advisor, it is basic etiquette and customer service to deal with the person in front of you. I feel that it was her responsibility to enforce (although it was blatantly obvious) to that member of staff that she was currently dealing with a customer and she would be with them asap. Surly a supervisor worth her title that works in hospitality should know this?

Alas my family and I then had to listen to the problems a guest BEHIND us was having regarding her booking not being there. Now this should not be done to any customer and I do not expect special treatment for having a baby, however I do feel extra effort and efficiency should have been made to move my baby daughter from the crowded bar area we had now been standing waiting at for 15mins in.

However shockingly now that the supervisions attention was back to us this is where she felt we should wait further until she could sort the problem. Grudgingly without any other option we did.

I got a drink for my wife and I trying my hardest to over see the last 20mins of what was suppose to be a rare relaxing surprise Saturday afternoon with my family. When I clocked the guest that couldn't wait her turn being seated before us?!

To be fair a few moments later said supervisor came to collect us to our table that was now ready, However that was the icing on the cake and in my wife and I opinion, the afternoon was ruined and was now not restorable.

We asked her to cancel our booking and left, rearranging our original booking at the blythswood. Where I might add was also very busy with a wedding however we were not treated like second class customers.

2  Thank Imysher

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience in Champagne Central. All feedback from customers are greatly appreciated as we are always continously trying to improve our services.

We apologise for the inconveniences that were caused for you during your visit to our champagne bar. We thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, we normally pride ourselves in high quality customer service and are disheartened to hear you never received this during your visit.

As you may have seen from previous reviews we normally give a high standard of service and apologise that it did not meet your expectations on this day. We do receive a high number of footfall for our Champage Bar and as you have mentioned there was a wedding on during this date and could be the reason for the drop in service standards during your visit. This will be a main point for us to improve on for the future.

Since your arrival we have created a specific Food and Beverage Reservation Team that deals with all of our bookings, which has massively improved all our reservations service so all customers are correctly booked in and given a set time and space.

We can understand that this was not a pleasant experience for you but we hope it has not deterred you completely from returning, We hope you will consider returning again so to leave you with a far better experience.