“Decent place to stay”

Ranked #63 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Newfoundland, Canada
“Decent place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I spent three nights at the Albion Hotel. The location was less than ideal for someone without a car; it's a long walk to the city centre, but there is a subway station just across the street. The neighbourhood is fine, and there is a park by the river nearby. However, there was very loud dance music playing nearby throughout my final night there...not conducive to sleep. The greeting when I arrived was certainly not as friendly as I had become used to after two weeks in Scotland; the gentleman who greeted me proved to be a little terse throughout my stay, but the last gentleman I spoke with, just prior to my departure, seemed quite nice and was helpful. My single, en suite room (#13) was comfortable and reasonably spacious. It was not as nice as the rooms I had enjoyed in Scotland B&Bs but was clean and adequate. Breakfast was not included in my room rate and I opted not to pay £8 extra for it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank France2007
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
The Albion Hotel is situated in the West end of the city and is approximately 1 mile from the city centre, walking into town takes about 15-20mins. Alternatively as mentioned there is an Underground station 2 mins walk from the hotel. It is unfortunate that you booked on a Room Only basis instead of Bed & Breakfast as our breakfasts are well known in the west end fro being both freshly cooked and plentiful. The music you heard possibly came from the pub across the road which normally closes at 11pm.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I was surprised to read a negative review of this hotel. I had a very nice five-day stay here. I found the staff was polite and helpful -- the one gentleman did seem a bit rushed at breakfast, but nothing terrible -- and the room I had was lovely and large for the price and location. There's an excellent chippy down the block, and the subway station, which I used several times a day is all of 2 minutes a way. I was on foot for my trip, and appreciated this hotel's proximity to grocery stores, the University, Kelvingrove Museum, the Botanic Gardens and more. I'd happily stay here again. By the way, I was on the second floor, and heard not a noise the entire stay. And the hot breakfast was lovely. Plus, the man at the desk kindly carried my extremely heavy suitcase up the stairs for me!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a funeral which was at 1pm explained this to staff when requesting if i could book in at 11:30 was told i could but would have to upgrade at the cost of £10. Was also made to pay up front for breakfast and we both were clearly told by DONALD that breakfast was between 7:30am - 10:30am. After having a sad day at funeral we set alarm for 9.30am for breakfast went into the dining room at 9:40am which was empty when we enquired about getting served we were told breakfast was over? Donald refused to give us a refund and said to get breakfast elsewhere. He was arrogant to us despite knowing why we were there. To add to all of this the beds were terrible! The shower was dirty! Tea cups were stuck to the tray. Rooms although out dated were generally clean. My advice save your money and stay somewhere else but if you do decide to stay keep your money for breakfast in your pocket and go across the road to the Bay Tree Cafe were the foods great and your served by someone who.s face doesnt turn the milk sour!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank villafan007
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Having read your review and spoken to Donald your only real complaint is that you did not get any breakfast. Unfortunately this was down to yourselves and no one else.
Donald has been with the company for 5 years and in that time he has been Employee of the Month at least 14 times, he has received numerous compliments from guest's from all over the world, especially about his customer service, you would be hard pressed to find a more polite,courteous and hard working young man, arrogant he has never been.
Guest's are informed of the breakfast time at check in, and I see no reason why after all this time he would suddenly decide to tell a guest that it finished an hour later than it does. Not only to our Managers inform guest's of the breakfast time at check in there is a plaque next to reception desk with the times on it, another one on the dining room door and it is also in the information sheet in the room, so all in all that makes 4 ways of finding out when breakfast is served, and of course you could always ask the Manager again at any time during reception hours, so that makes 5.
Being the polite and concientious chap that he is Donald did offer you cereal and toast and tea/coffee, even though breakfast was finished, from what we can make out you more or less threw the offer back in his face. This being the same chap who graciously waived the £10 charge for an early check because he was sympathetic to the fact you were coming for a funeral, the charge is there to cover the cost of getting a cleaner in early to make sure the room is ready, and he took it upon himself to waive it in your case.
The breakfast cook and waiting staff delayed clearing away and starting the clear up even though all other guest's had been served by 9.30 and in fact were all away by 9.15am, so all the other guest's managed to make it in time as did the cook, waiting staff and Donald himself, you were the only 2 in the building who got the time wrong.
The remarks about the room are petty, and an attempt to pad out the review. Room 1 is one of our most popular rooms and is frequently requested by regular guest's. It is also a large bright triple room, to which you were upgraded at no extra cost, also the early check in charge was waived, so all in all we feel the rate you paid of £72.00 for 2 people bed and breakfast was very good value for money and bearing in mind that you had occupancy of the room 2 hours earlier than normal check in, so one night the room would be occupied for 23 hrs and in fact you had it for 25hrs, and even though you checked in 2hrs early we did not expect you to check out 2hrs early.
All our staff are courteous and polite to guest's, however we do expect the same in return and on this occasion Donald was sadly disappointed.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I shared a top floor twin room with a friend, and found it very clean and quiet except for unavoidable noise from other guests walking in the hallway and stairs. The room was very clean and had a nice skylight-- there was a shade that could be rolled down over it which was very helpful. Although we didn't need it, I was glad to see a mini-fridge in the room. There is a computer in the foyer available to guests, which we appreciated.

Room Tip: The twin room on the top floor, back side of the building is very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

good rooms, friendly service (no breakfast incl. though). No problem with the bed.
The area of this hotel is very nice and most importantly is right nearby a tube station, which makes trip to the city center easy.
I did not expect much but was overall satisfied

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here the other night for my birthday after looking at Tripadvisor reviews. On arrival it appeared quite a nice place and the member of staff on reception was friendly and helpful. Went out for a meal nearby as it is very near to many restaurant and bars in the west end. On return we went to bed in what I can only describe as very uncomfortable, which was also small (we are both very tall and this must have been the smallest double). The springs seemed to be severely lacking, giving no support and as a result our backs were quite sore in the morning. Added to this was the fact that we were in Room 1 which is right beside the front door and we heard the front door going when other guests came in and left, woke me up every time.

Breakfast was quite good and there seemed to be a reasonable choice of options, I enjoyed the cooked breakfast.

When, on check out, I mentioned my concerns to the member of staff as to the price I had paid for a poor nights sleep I was told that they would investigate and that they had not had complaints of a similar nature, which I find hard to believe as the bed was rubbish. However a lot of people don't complain they simply never go back.I was disappointed in the response I got. I would have appreciated a partial refund as the bed was not up to scratch and I had a bad nights sleep. However I was simply given an apology. They got their money and I will not return as £80 for a bad nights sleep is not something I am happy with.

A shame as I was expecting more going by reviews on here.

Room Tip: Don't take room 1!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
We are sorry you feel your stay at the Albion Hotel was not as you had expected. Regarding the bed, you say it must have been a very small double, it is in fact a standard full size Double bed, Rm1 is on of our most popular rooms and regular guests request it fairly often. This is the first time we have had a complaint regarding the bed, all our beds are of the same hotel standard, neither soft nor firm, as a hotel we do have to strike the middle ground, perhaps you are used to a firm mattress, unfortunately when you stay in hotels it would be impossible to have a mattress exactly the same as the one you are used to.
With regard to the front door, the Albion is a very quiet hotel, the majority of our guests comply with our requests to respect other guests and to be quiet when coming and going, however again when you are in a hotel there is always going to be some level of noise, no matter what room /floor etc you are in/on, no one can be completely silent when coming and going no matter the time of day or night.
The rate you paid £80 was for a double room, you were actually upgraded to a triple room, the rate was more than fair for that room. You did not actually ask for a refund, you remarked that for what you had paid you had expected a better nights sleep, that is not asking for a refund.
clwyd
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a clean, good value small Hotel just minutes from the centre / look no further. One minutes stroll from the trendy west end and its tube station of Kelvin Bridge it over looks the tree small river valley close to the University and parkland. Breakfast are individually cooked and of 'Scots' size with several resultant s nearby. Rooms are v good and modern with parking in the street. No lift and fairly steep stairs or a/c should not but you off

Croeso da yma efo brecwast bendigedig bob bore. Ystafelloedd mawr a glan ond heb llift. Staff cwrtais Iawn . Metro Glasgow agos iawn. 5 muned ir Canolfan/Orsaf/Siopa

• Stayed April 2013