“Inexpensive, convenient, friendly, easy parking”
Review of Albion Hotel

Albion Hotel
Ranked #54 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Inexpensive, convenient, friendly, easy parking”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed overnight to attend a concert in Glasgow, this hotel is convenient for the subway at Kelvinbridge, clean, tidy, good breakfast, friendly staff, inexpensive. All in all a good find. It's not five star but if the above describes your requirements and you don't need pampering this place is as good as any we've found. Will stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alec B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Malta
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed at the Albion Hotel this July for 5 nights. Being 6 persons, we chose a quadruple room and a double room, both with en suite facilities. The quadruple room, which was very clean (including the bathrooms), spacious and had a lovely view, was located on the top floor of the hotel. The only downside to this was the fact that we had to carry our luggage up the stairs and then back down for check out since there is no lift. The receptionist was very kind and asked us whether we need help with out luggages though. The other double room was just round the corner from the hotel reception, and we have no complains whatsoever about this. The window of this room had the view of the small back garden of this hotel, which looked lovely. The rooms were equipped with a mini fridge and we were given biscuits, tea, coffee and milk every morning since there is a kettle available too.

The Albion Hotel is surrounded by a good number of vintage clothes shops, cafe's, restaurants and pubs (Great Western Road), and it is located within walking distance (around 15 minutes) from the Botanic Gardens and Byres Road. There are also LIDL and Iceland supermarkets just 3 minutes away from the hotel. The subway (Kelvinbridge) is just across the road, and this takes you to the city centre (and other places) in around 8 minutes. However, if you don't mind walking, the city centre can be reached on foot too - it will take you around 45 minutes.

The receptionist was so nice and helpful, and he always gave us clear and precise instructions whenever we asked about any attraction or place we wanted to visit. He even gave us a map with markings to help us. And if you want, there is also a shelf with various attraction brochures just to the left of the reception.

We would definitely stay here again! The Albion Hotel is definitely a great value for money!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AnnaliseG10
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Was here for a few days during the week in June. It's very close to the West End (Byres Road, etc), Subway is close by and town isn't a ridiculously long walk. Staff are pretty good but we didn't really need them for all that much so hard to judge. We were given a room on the top floor which was incredibly hot and sloped wildly thanks to the roof - it meant only half the room was any use. Still, for the money you're unlikely to find a better place to stay in Glasgow.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are very hot in the summer - but you don't really get to choose, so...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times and am happy to do so again. I'd describe it as a decent 3star hotel. Clean and comfortable. Plentiful breakfast and staff generally friendly and helpful. Great location for getting into Glasgow city centre as the metro station is just across the street. The botanic gardens and university are just a few minutes walk away as are many nice bars and restaurants in Glasgow's trendy West End.
However, there is no car park so you have to park in the street. Parking from 6pm-8am is free but remember to buy a daytime parking pass from the reception desk!! It is only £2/£4 for a half/full day parking pass but failure to get one will result in a parking fine!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Leomeister
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The Albion Hotel is perfectly situated to enjoy all that Glasgow's West End offers. The rooms are very comfortable and airy and the staff on reception are extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is just of a Great Western Road in a quiet crescent so very peaceful and calm. It offers great value for money and we have already booked a return visit.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are very spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I spent three nights at the Albion Hotel. The location was less than ideal for someone without a car; it's a long walk to the city centre, but there is a subway station just across the street. The neighbourhood is fine, and there is a park by the river nearby. However, there was very loud dance music playing nearby throughout my final night there...not conducive to sleep. The greeting when I arrived was certainly not as friendly as I had become used to after two weeks in Scotland; the gentleman who greeted me proved to be a little terse throughout my stay, but the last gentleman I spoke with, just prior to my departure, seemed quite nice and was helpful. My single, en suite room (#13) was comfortable and reasonably spacious. It was not as nice as the rooms I had enjoyed in Scotland B&Bs but was clean and adequate. Breakfast was not included in my room rate and I opted not to pay £8 extra for it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank France2007
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
The Albion Hotel is situated in the West end of the city and is approximately 1 mile from the city centre, walking into town takes about 15-20mins. Alternatively as mentioned there is an Underground station 2 mins walk from the hotel. It is unfortunate that you booked on a Room Only basis instead of Bed & Breakfast as our breakfasts are well known in the west end fro being both freshly cooked and plentiful. The music you heard possibly came from the pub across the road which normally closes at 11pm.
Brooklyn
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I was surprised to read a negative review of this hotel. I had a very nice five-day stay here. I found the staff was polite and helpful -- the one gentleman did seem a bit rushed at breakfast, but nothing terrible -- and the room I had was lovely and large for the price and location. There's an excellent chippy down the block, and the subway station, which I used several times a day is all of 2 minutes a way. I was on foot for my trip, and appreciated this hotel's proximity to grocery stores, the University, Kelvingrove Museum, the Botanic Gardens and more. I'd happily stay here again. By the way, I was on the second floor, and heard not a noise the entire stay. And the hot breakfast was lovely. Plus, the man at the desk kindly carried my extremely heavy suitcase up the stairs for me!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo