“Well looked after”

Ranked #62 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Wigan
“Well looked after”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had a short stay here while watching the commonwealth games. Arrived early but was allowed to leave my bags which was a very welcome help. The room was big, clean and comfortable. We were upgraded to one of the apartments next door which was excellent. The shower room was large and sparkling clean,. Breakfast was filling and tasty.

Location is convenient for the city, being only 3 stops out on the subway - thanks also go to all the subway staff who were the most pleasant public transport workers I've ever met. I was impressed by the choice of places to eat nearby too with something to please everybody.

Glasgow was a fantastic place, vibrant and interesting and the weather was kind! I visited for the games but would definitely choose to return for a weekend and certainly stay at this hotel again

Room Tip: If you can wangle an upgrade to an appartment - bonus!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was totally appalled at the treatment I received from this hotel. I booked through Booking.com which I have done on several occasions without any problems and, without me being aware, the hotel took the full payment from my account. I wasn't prepared for this as it has never been done before and it left me in financial difficulty. I was upset when I checked in the bank and the bank clerk kindly offered to phone the hotel in order to help me. The attitude of the receptionist he spoke to was nothing short of disgusting and he was shocked at the way he had been spoken nto and especially with the parting comment of "well, if she wants to cancel the booking it's up to her". I phoned the hotel later that day and was lied to by the person I spoke to claiming it wasn't her that the bank clerk had spoken to but i know it was due to the fact she slipped up by saying what time I had phoned earlier, I cancelled the booking and went from really looking forward to visiting Glasgow for the Commonwealth games with my son to being in a panic about getting somewhere to stay which, thankfully I have. I want to warn others about this risk and about the uncaring attitude of the staff at Albion Hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanne C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We booked a triple room at the Albion in January as we were going to the Commonwealth Games. It was difficult to find accommodation in the city but the Albion was very reasonably priced. Even though we couldn't check in as we were early, we were able to leave our luggage so we didn't have to drag it around. The location is in a quiet street and only a short bus journey from the city centre, subway is across the road. We preferred being in this area as there are lots of independent cafes, eateries and shops- different to the chains you usually see everywhere. The beautiful Botanical Gardens are only a 10 minute walk away. The room was spacious and the staff were so friendly and helpful which was a real plus :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I took the kids on a three week trip through Rome and the UK that culminated with a three night stay in Glasgow. Having just recently visited with our Glaswegian Family during one of their recent visits to Canada, our stay in Glasgow was relatively short.

For this visit to Glasgow, our Travel Agent found the Albion Hotel for us to stay at. It was very good! The perfect place to finish what had been a brilliant holiday.

The Albion Hotel is situated on a quiet little street next to the River Kelvin in the North/West area of Glasgow (within 10 minutes of the University of Glasgow). The neighbourhood was great. Loads of nice little places to eat along with many great coffee houses for morning lattes.

Upon arrival, the Manager welcomed us and quickly got us situated. She was a very pleasant lady who informed us that we could park on the street for free over the weekend and would only have to worry about paying for parking on the Monday morning once the work week began. She also upgraded us to one of the Apartment Units for Free.

The Apartment upgrade was a nice little surprise. Having travelled through Rome and most of the UK over the past two plus weeks, it was nice to be able to set up the kids in a completely separate room. The Unit itself was clean and well kept. I suspect at one point this had been two separate units that had been previously converted into the one-unit Apartment. The entrace to the unit took you into the main lounging area that included the bed for the kids. Along with the bed area was a dining table and sofa, as well as a separate alcove that housed a full kitchen.

Through a doorway and into the Master Bedroom that also included a separate Bathroom that came with Toilet, Sink, and Standing Shower.

The unit included other amenities such as Ironing Board and hot iron. I will admit that the unit was slightly tired. The carpet seemed a little old but definitely nothing that one would find offensive.

We had breakfast on the Saturday morning in the main hotel's dining room. It was good. Again, I will admit that we had previolusly been spoiled with some exceptional breakfasts at some of the other places we had stayed at on this trip, but altogether the breakfast prepared at The Albion Hotel was very good also.

During the planning stages of this three-week holiday, I recall that it was somewhat difficult for our Travel Agent to find a decent hotel in Glasgow that wasn't over-priced and/or outright dodgy! The Albion Hotel turned out to be a pretty good price in a very good area of Galsgow. Delivering on our expectations and maintaining what had been a great holiday up to that point.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris G
Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I booked the Albion back in Jan.2014 to ensure accommodation. Whilst other hotels were raising prices for bookings during the duration of the games, the Albion quoted their daily standard fees.

The hotel was well located being very near subway and other public transport. The pre purchasing of parking vouchers enables guests to leave their car at the hotel for the duration of their stay(this was particularly for the games.) Our room was surprisingly large, very clean and comfortable with all the necessary facilities, and a few unexpected extras - e.g. a variety of biscuits and mini fridge. The fridge was a Godsend considering the unusually fine weather we experienced. The dining room was clean, welcoming and well stocked and the breakfast was well cooked and presented.
Most importantly of all the staff were warm, friendly, helpful - 'Pure dead brilliant!'
Our stay at the Albion enhanced a fantastic games experience. I would not hesitate, in fact already have, recommended the hotel to friends and would definitely stay their again. It made me proud to return to the city of my birth.

One downside - distinct lack of pressure in the shower to the point where hardly any water came out.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are bright with reasonable outlook.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Many thanks for the very kind comments about the hotel and our staff, these will be passed on to those concerned and will be much appreciated especially during this very busy time. We have taken note of your remarks about the poor water pressure and we are having this investigated by our plumber and if we can remedy the situation we will. Hope to see you at the Albion on another occasion.
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The bedroom: The bed was just comfortable enough to sleep on. No jabbing springs or obvious dips in the surface, but definitely a bit lumpy and slightly unpleasant. I also had a thick lumpy duvet but surprisingly fresh comfortable feather pillows. Also, for any Americans reading this, like so many UK hotel beds, this one did not have a top sheet. The room was small, but well outfitted. I had instant coffee and tea and biscuits and a water kettle that did not try to electrocute me, so I considered myself fortunate enough. The TV worked and had clear access to the standard UK channels. I had a large window with lots of light and a curtain that served to block out enough summer light to sleep. Finally, the wifi connection in my room was terrible. I connected for about 2 minutes, but the signal died and I never saw it again.

The bathroom: The shower did have the ability to produce hot water. It was the 240v electric insta-heat kind; those usually are very hard to get a good temperature with, but with some very intentional super slight twists of the dial (we're talking nanometers at a time), I managed to get a reasonable temperature. The drain only let the water leave very slowly, so I stood in my own travel-filth as the level rose and rose around my ankles. The shower head insisted on spraying only the wall it was mounted to. Finally, like so many British toilets, this room had the kind that: A) Always splashes back, B) Requires 3 flushes of several liters of water to get rid of just toilet paper, and C) Cannot sanitarily accommodate an adult man. I'd really like to know what mix of capitalist/government corruption has led to such a nationwide monopoly of terribly designed toilets, or faucets, for that matter, that will give you either scalding water or freezing water but no option to mix them outside of plugging the drain. Anyway, the bathroom here was subpar, but it didn't ruin my stay or anything.

The neighborhood: The neighborhood Albion is in is great. It's near University of Glasgow, so there are lots of nice shops, cafes, and pubs close by, as well as pharmacies and other accoutrements. There was a little organic grocery store that served an amazing breakfast. I was also very near a subway station, which made getting to the hotel very easy.

All in all, I'd say that if you need a reasonably priced stay in a fun part of Glasgow, this is a workable spot for you. If you have trouble sleeping in foreign beds or are picky about the finer details of your boarding options, you might want to spend a little more somewhere else.
Oh, one more thing, I booked on hotels.com, and I'm not sure how I managed to check the "room only" option, and I fully expected breakfast at Albion. However, the manageress let me know I hadn't booked a breakfast. I'm not sure whether to blame hotels.com or myself for this, but I'm sure it's not Albion's fault. In any case, it was fine because I found the aforementioned delicious breakfast close by. Just make sure you take note of the breakfast discrepancy if and when you book.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
robertmcq, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for submitting your review for the Albion Hotel, we do appreciate feedback from our guest's no matter how lengthy.
To take the comments in order.
Bedroom. The room you were allocated is one of the rooms favoured by some of our regular guest's and we have had not other comments regarding the mattress, however we will monitor the situation and if necessary it will be replaced, regarding the feather pillows, for the benefit of any other potential guest's who may read this and be put off by that, we do not have any feather pillows or duvets in any of our hotels as the potential risk for any allergy sufferers is too great. The WiFi is under scrutiny at the moment to try and determine why the signal is so spotty.
Bathroom. With regard to the slow drainage of the shower, if you had reported it to reception we would have taken action at the time which would have cleared the problem. The toilets ara s standard UK size and in all my years in this industry I have never had anyone complain about the size of them before.
The vast majority of websites offer you the choice of booking Room Only or Bed & Breakfast, if you do not make a concious choice it will book you as Room Only, in that instance breakfast can be added on checking in at a cost of £8 per head, when first viewing a website they nearly all show the Room Only rate, with various ways of adding breakfast, some show the same room twice, one at a lower rate than the other and the lower rate is Room Only. However no matter what you choose, we are bound by the booking that comes through to us from the Agent, if it comes as Room Only then breakfast is extra.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

A good value for money hotel, which does not profess to be what it is not - a 5* establishment.
The publicity says what it is and that's what you get! The staff were always extremely friendly and helpful; as the brochure says, No meals (except breakfast if ordered) are provided but the area has a variety of different types of eateries so that is not a drawback.

Room Tip: Given its origins and location (a terrace close to the University), there are no lifts, so ask for a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business