Babbity Bowster
US$294
US$172
US$146
  • Room Service
Grand Central Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$192
US$201
US$183
US$95
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscullen skinkmerchant cityhaggistea coffee and toastgypsy jazzcracking pubglasgow airportgreat place to stayvisiting glasgowcomfy bedgeorge squarescotlandconcert
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Went here for Xmas dinner,very impressed hadn't heard of prior to this

Had goats cheese tart to start which was very tasty

For main had venison which was delicious and cooked perfectly

For pudding had nougat ice cream which wasn't to mine or anyone else at tables taste, even with this though a good meal all round

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank tedster209
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed here for one night and I am very glad that I did. The rooms are clean and basic but warm and comfortable. What is excellent are the people and the atmosphere in the bar when live music is playing. I counted 5 violins and 4 flutes and several guitars. The food is reasonably priced, but excellent quality and well cooked. Served with a smile, do not believe the other reviews.If you want some real character in Glasgow ( and real characters also !) in a place to stay, look no further. I will be back !

Room Tip: I had a single at the back which was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank hornetone
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Great night last night transported to the highland isles in the heart of merchant city Glasgow great people great music good food and a great nights sleep if you like Scottish music you have to go here best night out my wife and i have had for a long time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank harryj080856
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We booked this hotel for one Saturday night and what a warm Glasgow welcome we received on arrival. Our room was very clean, bed comfy and because it's tucked down a back street it was quiet. There was no tv or kettle but that didn't bother us as we were eager to get to the bar where we could hear fantastic live music. An array of musicians fiddlers, accordions all jamming playing traditional scottish music. If we didn't have a party to go to we'd have happily sat there all evening. We had a bowl of cullin skink soup in the bar which was wonderful. Staff were also so helpful. Definitely we would stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank zippymum
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Having passed the Babbity Bowster a few times on my travels around the City Centre, I thought the beer garden looked an ideal place to take some friends for a quiet Saturday afternoon pint and bite to eat in the sun.
We arrived early in the afternoon after the short trek from Glasgow Central and entered the bar looking forward to trying some of their cask ales. This enthusiasm quickly died within seconds of walking in the front door when we were welcomed by a vomit inducing stench that we could only liken to strong cheese.

This could have been forgiven quickly enough (given that we planned on sitting outside) had it not been accompanied by the barman's scowl. After ordering our overpriced pints that the barman grudgingly poured, we looked at each other bemused at what we had done to deserve such an unfriendly welcome. I paid for the drinks and handsomely tipped the barman - not for his service, but in the hope that it would cheer him up and make him more approachable next time we went to the bar - the tip was not met with even so much as a thank you, let alone an air of gratitude.

We sharply took our drinks outside and tried to ignore the unusual treatment of paying customers.

Upon finishing the drinks I took the glasses back to the bar as a friendly gesture. Upon returning to collect the rest and order another round I arrived outside to find a gentleman who appeared to be the owner, a guy with a patch over his eye, arguing with one of my friends over a matter so ridiculous I won't go over the details on here.

I followed him into the bar to try find out what the problem was and after firstly ignoring me, then trying to walk through me, he then proceeded to be aggressive and rude to the extent that by all rights it should have been met with a gubbed jaw. As a pacifist, I took the option to ask my friends to quietly leave and not cause a scene.

To this day we still do not understand what the problem was but if that's the way the staff treat customers in this economy they do not really deserve good business.

• Stayed: June 2013