“Great place, great staff”

Novotel Glasgow Centre
Ranked #43 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 March 2014

A regular hotel for me when I am working in Glasgow for a few days each month. Easy to access by road, although limited parking available underneath the hotel. Lots of parking available on street, but charges start from 08.00 in the morning.

Friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable rooms that are always clean and tidy. I do enjoy my stays.

Room Tip: Avoid 5th floor under the gym (SE corner) - you can hear the thump thump thump of the running machin...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your loyalty and for leaving us such a great comment as well as an excellent 5* rating.
I am very satisfied reading that you always enjoy your stays, liking our convenient location, our comfortable, clean rooms and of course our very friendly and always helpful staff.
It is always a pleasure having you staying with us and we look forward to welcome you back for all your next stays at the Novotel Glasgow Centre.
My kindest regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

On balance, my experience of Novotel was certainly a positive one.

The check in was very good, by extremely friendly staff who allowed an early check in as our room was ready.
We had lunch in the elements bar which was pretty pleasant and reasonably priced.

The breakfast was nice, although the cooked breakfast was a bit sporadic as the quality differed from day to day. Also some items ran out quite quickly although the restaurant was busy. The quality seemed to improve throughout my stay, so I put this down to a one off.

The room was nice an comfortable, although I do agree with previous comments that the toilet did smell of urine. I think a change of cleaning solution may help this as I thought the standard of cleanliness was generally good.

We did have a problem with the mp3 player on the TV, however this was reported to reception and sorted very promptly, so all good really.

I would stay here again, although I would not pay the full rate for the room. I have stayed in many London hotels for less than the stated rate of far greater quality. That aside, I would happily pay around £100 a night for the standard room and paying extra for breakfast.

All things considered, a pleasant experience and will book again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you very much for leaving us this feedback following your stay at our hotel.
I am very pleased that you liked rooms, your lunch and breakfast as well as our always extremely friendly and helpful staff.
I am really happy that all things considered this was a pleasant experience for you and that you book us again.
It has been our pleasure to look after you and we will be pleased to welcome you back to the Novotel Glasgow Centre for any of your future stays.
My best wishes,

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Really impressed by our stay at Novotel in Glasgow. With some previous stay's at other budget hotels in Glasgow turning out to be awful and had very poor bedding/mattresses and facilities Novotel was the complete opposite of this. Really comfy beds and soft quilts/pillows and sheets I had a brilliant nights sleep. Check in was swift and staff very pleasant. Rooms were of a nice standard with simple decor and furnishing but we weren't looking for more than this as we were heading out for the night. Rooms are also a very good size.

Hotel is perfect location for a night out if you are heading to sauchiehall street clubs or city centre venues etc but is on a lovely quiet street so no outside noise of people passing by or noise of cars at all. Very clean hotel and rooms, looks recently decorated and all amenities good. Liked the safe entry at night too as can only enter by swiping your room card outside in the late hours.

Overall enjoyed our stay, exactly what we were looking for- no frills or fanciness, just a really nice clean, quiet, modern hotel with great quality beds. Exactly what we got, so hit the mark!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Many thank for leaving this comment here on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Novotel Glasgow Centre.
I am really delighted to read you have been impressed by our hotel. I am pleased that you liked our excellent location; conveniently close to the city centre or the shopping miles and that you liked our room with their very comfortable beds as well as our always friendly and efficient staff.
It was a pleasure looking after you and we look forward having you stay with us again for your next visit to Glasgow.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, clean and big bedrooms with modern bathroom, however separate toilet smelled a bit of urine, wS obviously not cleaned properly judging by the smell and pubic hairs on the floor.

Room Tip: I gave cleanliness poor rating because of the toilet room,
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you a lot for leaving this feedback following your stay at our hotel.
I am very pleased that you liked our clean, big rooms as well as our always very friendly and helpful staff. I took good note on your comments about the toilet and look personally into this matter.
It has been our pleasure to look after you and we will be pleased to welcome your back to the Novotel Glasgow Centre for any of your future stays.
My best wishes,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have stayed there for a week and it is not what I would call comfy hotel. Deco is modern and basic. Room clean and bed comfy. Car park not free.Staff was ok but food in the restaurant was not to my liking, a bit too much on funky side. Breakfast choice was good and you could even taste some haggis.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

We would like to thank you for reviewing your experience following your recent stay at the Novotel Glasgow Centre.
I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be comfortable and that the quality of service met your expectations.
We would really be pleased to welcome you back in a near future for your next trip to Glasgow.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here recently on business, overall would recommend as is very quiet, with good nights sleep, comfortable rooms and attentive hosts. Hotel also benefits with parking onsite (at £8 per day) and free wifi. Also a couple of minutes into Sauchiehall Street with a further 5-10 minute walk into town with loads of dining out options nearby.

Breakfast was good, although cannot comment on other meals as I ate out as there were numerous choices nearby.

Overall would recommend this hotel for a stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade to executive
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience here on Tripadvisor following your stay at our property.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Glasgow Centre, recommending us to others and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked dinner, bed and breakfast using Accor points, so got a very good deal. We arrived before the 2 pm check in time but had no problem checking in slightly early. The hotel is reasonably close to the city centre, close enough for us to walk.

Our room was very spacious, with a double bed and fold down double bed/couch. I suspect we may have been upgraded though that wasn't mentioned. Plenty of drawers and coat hangers, though we didn't need them for a one night stay. The separate toilet was tiny and the WC very close to the door. The bathroom was much larger. Everything was clean and everything worked.

Free WiFi is provided, with a paid option of upgraded service. The free service was quite slow but adequate for light web browsing and emails.

The restaurant decor is rather stark and it feels as if it is an extension of the lobby, a feeling possibly exaggerated by my being placed at an opening (unglazed) looking into the lobby area. We were told that the set menu, with three choices, could be replaced by an £18.75 credit against the full menu, but we both chose the set menu. Between us we chose two thirds of the available starters and main courses, and we're well satisfied with all our choices. In contrast, the 'mature' cheddar cheese plate, which included two pieces of red and one of white bog standard cheddar, was a disappointment, partly made up for by the excellent small oatcakes and fresh fruit accompanying the cheese.

The breakfast was very good, with a full selection of cooked and continental food, and natural yoghurt which is not always provided in British hotels. The only disappointment was that, in Glasgow of all places, there were no rolls. The buffet was awkwardly placed close to tables and on the route to and from the entrance, making it awkward to navigate, with lots of 'excuse me' and 'after you' needed.

All in all, particularly at the price we paid using my vouchers, we were very satisfied with the hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IanfaeAiberdeen
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you so much for leaving these comments following your stay at the Novotel Glasgow Centre.
It is a real pleasure to read that you have like so many aspect of our hotel and I will look into the comments regarding our restaurant. Thank you very much for your appreciation towards our quality of service, our rooms, the cleanliness and our rich breakfast offer.
It has been our pleasure to look after you during your stay and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back for any future visits to Glasgow.
Kindest Regards,