“Decent hotel but quite expensive”

Novotel Glasgow Centre
Ranked #44 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
GreenLeadersBronze level
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Decent hotel but quite expensive”
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed here for two nights during March 2011 while in Glasgow with work.

My room was a good size had decent bathroom and a reasonably comfortable bed.

The food at dinner time was ok although not great and quite expensive. The breakfast was good.

It seemed I was actually quite lucky because my collegues rooms were smaller and one of them stank of smoke clearly having been a smoking room in the past and was in need of decoration.

All in all it was quite expensive for the standard of rooms and hotel but I have certainly stayed in worse hotels.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay with us.
I appreciate your comments and will ensure that we act on the points raised.
Our ' ex - smoking rooms' are now all currently undergoing a refurbishment so do hope that this alleviates any concerns you may have for a future stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
Craig Munro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We stayed here in late January, myself and my wife for three nights. While the hotel is not slap bang in the middle of the shops etc, it is a mere ten minute walk to Buchanna Galleries. Central Station is about 10-15 minute walk or about £3 in a taxi. So far me this hotel wa sgreat locationand just set 2 minutes from Sauchiehall Street.
The hotel is quite modern and really well appointed, the lobby area is really nice and guests can avail of the apple mac computers in the lobby while waiting for anything. Rooms were a good size, ours had a comfy sofa, table adnd chairs as well as a good bed and storage room aplenty. The bathroom was nice and the shower was excellent. The breakfast is on until 12 noon, which was so handy especially if you want to lay in bed a bit longer in the mornings! The full scottish breakfast was great and really set you up for the day and the dining area was very clean and tidy. There is a bar that stays open late for residents which on the saturday night had an impromptu irish traditional band playing a few tunes which was excellent way to end the night! Staff were pleasant and dealt with any queries promptly and politely, they only problem we had was after check in the roomkey didnt open the door but this was swiftly and satisfactorily resolved. We got a great deal through tripadvisor and id definitely lok to stay there again when i go back to glasgow

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us.
Myself & the team look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Glasgow Centre in the near future.
London
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Good value for money, walking distance from city center, friendly staff, clean and spacious rooms. Good breakfast as well. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it. Maybe they could add more channel to the TV.

• Stayed February 2011
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at Novotel Glasgow Centre. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay & will pass you positive comments onto the hotel staff.
We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Extremely happy with all aspects of the hotel & the extremely friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments based on your recent stay with Novotel Glasgow Centre.
We do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Yours Sincerely,
KINTYRE
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I like this hotel. It is central without without being right in the noisy part of town. They do a decent breakfast, and the staff are good.

As other reviewers have commented, they are currently doing a refurbishment and I don't know if it part of this or not, but the hotel now seems to be using mini sized pillows. I cannot say for certain if this is the cause, but I woke up on my second morning with a painful neck which I still have 32 hours later. I wish they would also get decent plugs for the wash hand basin that will retain the water. The separate toilet area is a mistake as I do not see how you can wash hands properly without first touching door handles.

Even allowing for all that, I will still probably stay there the next time I am in Glasgow providing my Travel Agent gets me the right price!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerNGC, General Manager at Novotel Glasgow Centre, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
I am sorry that we did not meet you expectations on this occasion.
We have 2 different types of pillows in our rooms, of which a second set can be found in the cupboard in your room - which I hope will help you have a more comfortable stay next time.
I have raised your comment about the sink with our maintenance team so that this doesn't effect a future guest using the same room.
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
inverness, scotland
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Booked through their own website as was cheaper than late rooms. Was pleasantly surprised with this establishment. Given a spacious room on 6th floor, very clean and welcoming. Very pleasant staff on reception and breakfast was lovely. Bonus was finding out check out was until 12noon, which was helpful for our train times. Would use this hotel again

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
I do look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Glasgow Centre in the future.
Yours Sincerley,
Rugby
Reviewed 17 February 2011

It's a Novotel. You get what it says on the tin. The chain has recently refurbed and Glasgow seems to be a successful project.

There are a couple of nice touches such as heated bathroom mirrors so that you can see your ugly mug after taking a shower. The pillows were a bit wierd - something to learn from Premier Inn there I think. Also the TV's (at all Novotels) seem to be a job-lot of an unwanted screen aspect-ratio format; so despite being LCD they're not widescreen and almost every programme (apart from the Sweeny on ITV4) looks strange. The offset is a good set of channels including news in most languages.

Reception could be a bit friendlier - but having just stayed at a Novotel in France, I realise Glasgow are positively gushing in comparison, perhaps a carping criticism on my part.

WiFi access and an open session iMac in the foyer are nice.

Breakfast is good and a free FT Weekend newspaper eased a long train journey later.

I'm back in Glasgow soon and will be in the Novotel again - so I guess that says everything doesn't it?

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay.
We look forward to welcoming you abck to Novotel Glasgow Centre in the near future.