“Slightly disappointed”

Hotel Indigo Glasgow
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked the Indigo suite as a last minute luxury 1 night getaway. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The room was lovely. Due to the warm sunny day in lovely Glasgow the room was very very very warm with all the windows and with the suite being on the 5th floor the windows were not able to open. The air conditioning did not appear to work and after getting 2 fans from the helpful staff we had to ask to be moved which we were most disappointed by. The hotel had no alternative rooms so they provided us with a refund and booked a room for us at the. Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow at 9.30pm which prevented us from switching off for our 1 night away. The hotel was lovely in appearance initially however there was major works going on in the hotel which did not allow us to have the relaxing experience we were looking for as the workmen were working right outside our room and even a member of staff came into our room when we were in our bed, why?? Haven't figured that one out yet. We would love to return to Hotel Indigo to get the experience we had booked and paid for (£211) but I would not book this again without the assurance that the room has access to air conditioning. I will be emailing the hotel also.

Room Tip: Indigo suite very very warm on sunny days.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Denis M, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hotel Indigo is well placed to explore Glasgow just 5 minutes from the City centre.
It is modern, friendly and well-appointed with a relaxed style, however it is let down by several things mentioned by other guests.
Breakfast was awful, very unappealing cracked china bowls, poor selection of cereals, limited choice of "white sliced bread" no wholemeal or choice of rolls.
A toaster that took forever to toast, creating a long queue of frustrated guests.
Orange juice that could only be described as watery squash, a general lack of fresh fruit and over cooked bacon & eggs.
There was no porridge available either or locally sourced fish.
Tables were left un-cleared and overall service slow & poor, not a good start to the day!

Wi-Fi was hit & miss often difficult obtaining a signal.
Whilst the bedroom (5th Floor) was very pleasant and well appointed, the air conditioning was noisy, even when the thermostat was switched off, leaving a constant background hum.

The Hotel has replied promptly to my in house feedback, so now the ball is in their court to rectify these short comings.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was recently at this hotel with some golfing colleagues & the general consensus was that it was a great place to stay. The rooms were spacious, bright & modern. The hotel itself is so central that we could walk to most places we wanted to go to. The staff were pleasant, friendly & helpful. The food matched the excellence of our overall experience. Next time I visit Glasgow, I would hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, look for a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the great review. We are delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just like my last review of this hotel there is much to like......but breakfast still lets it down.

Lovely modern hotel, great room with monsoon shower, some minibar freebies and an uninterrupted sleep. Wifi still hit and miss (to the point that the same devices in the same room did not both get a connection). You can walk to the centre of the City within 5-10 minutes.

But breakfast - having complained of a greasy experience last time around decided to just go "Continental" this time. This resulted in very poor (Sunny D my daughter reckoned) orange juice, generally limited choice of fruits, meats and cereals, and a lack of focus on ensuring the basics of bread and pastries were replenished regularly.

Topped off with the waiter bringing a bill to me to advise that he had tried to charge it to my room but that I had not left a credit card. I told him I had, he disappeared, he came back and apologised. But on the basis I was checking out that morning even if they did not have my credit card details they did know I was staying there and could have avoided leaving such a bad service experience by just trusting their customer to pay on checkout. It wasn't exactly an attempt to charge Louis Cristal champers to my room!

That said staff at check-in and check-out were good; will go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sleep007

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very grateful for all the feedback that we receive and will certainly review the points that you have raised. Please accept our apologies for the confusion over your breafast billing.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The room was nice and the shower was amazing but I do like a bath as well personally. I had requested tea alternatives before the visit and was pleased my room had a good range of alternatives. The free mini bar is a nice touch. The wifi might as well as not exist as it is very poor and drove me mad. It connected for about 5 mins during my whole stay. The staff are all helpful and pleasent. The breakfast was a disappointment. I had the continental and it was very limited and as others say the orange juice is poor. I stayed using points and so it was good value but I wouldn't stay paying the rates they ask. I've stayed in other indigo hotels and been wowed by them so was a bit surprised this one didn't. There was nothing majorly wrong with and there are some good things but I'd only return if I got a real bargain. For the price I'm sure Glasgow has more to offer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very grateful for all the feedback that we receive.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Location in city center was convenient for all of Glasgow. Many restaurants and shops are located within walking distance. Cleanliness was excellent. Other than the weak Wi-Fi not always maintaining the connection I have no complaints and plan to stay here on my return to Glasgow.

Room Tip: We visited several of the rooms and they all looked good. We also had no problem with noise even th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Was it really awful? No. But really, was it a 4 star experience? No. And when there are so many other options, would I go back? Unlikely. I was attracted by the look of the lobby and rooms, the soft furnishings in particular, and the Intercontinental brand. However this is clearly a far cry from the Intercontinental on Hyde Park Corner. While I have since understood that Indigo may be a separate brand targeting a different audience, but at 130 a night, I thought it was certainly not cheap and positioned itself a notch above average, while the experience was probably below average. I booked for 2 nights, and subsequently decided to add a further night before the original booking. This had to be arranged through the central booking system for Intercontinental Hotels rather than with the hotel itself, as a result of which they could not confirm whether it would be possible for me to stay in the same room for all three nights. Given it was two months before my stay, I thought this was odd and not very helpful. Direct contact with the hotel was not possible. Upon check in, I STILL could not be assured that I would be able to stay in the same room (although to be fair, in the end I was). The room (with two queen beds) was nice in itself, but I was disappointed to find there was no bath (given it is a 4 star hotel) and the window looked out onto a wall, meaning the room was extremely dark. In addition, it was impossible to adjust the temperature (the airco could not go lower than an optical 19 degrees (in reality it must have been much warmer) and the electricity would anyway switch off when you leave the room / remove your key card) meaning the temperature which was too high for my liking at night, went up further during the day. Staff at reception tried to be helpful about this but couldn’t really do anything about it as the temperature was apparently regulated centrally too. The sound proofing wasn’t great and the breakfast buffet was disappointing, not at all what you’d expect of a 4 star hotel. The staff was polite, but indifferent, impersonal. Even after 3 nights there wasn’t ever a moment of recognition. So all in all , these are probably minor gripes but my expectations, and the price, of a 4 star hotel are different than those of a 2 star.

Room Tip: make sure you enquire about the view from the window and whether there is a bath - neither are a giv...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business