“Excellent food & cheap as chips - but allow plenty of time”
Review of Banana Leaf - CLOSED

Banana Leaf
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent food & cheap as chips - but allow plenty of time”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a really delicious 2 course meal - very tasty - fried chilli to and something else we just guessed at to start and lovely dosas as a main. All served on little metal trays as you sometimes get in India with accompaniments. The chilli wasn't hot as warned, but was pleasant. They did not serve alcohol but did not charge any corkage either - we were £24 for both of us including mango lassi and chai.

The surroundings are very basic and the service is slow and amateurish - but we were not in a hurry so that did n't really matter. Not a posh place to take a date or if you are in a rush but our food was good and amazing value.

• Visited February 2012

Colintraive, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Ambiance - none
Staff - permanently on phone, and not taking orders for the take-away, which would be acceptable
Starters - My husband's Manchurian Cauliflower was good, my cauliflower dish was old, dry and cold.
Mains - I had a vegetarian Keralan dish, it was truly disgusting, a flavourless porridge with 3 peas and 2 cubes of carrot. The other main course was a chicken dish, this chicken was 95% bone.
At this point we paid and left. It was an historic low point in food.

Visited December 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst dining experience I have ever had”
Reviewed 25 November 2011

My wife and I bought this deal through Groupon and it seemed like a bargain as we had heard good things about Banana Leaf.
However, to cut a long story short, the restaurant itself, at this location, is little more than what appears to be a takeaway with some tables and chairs to the side of it, on a corner site, with severe internal lighting, devoid of atmosphere & staff that are hardly visable.
We had the Groupon 8 dishes each deal.
8 dishes means if you want 8 veg. dishes, that's what you get. If you want meat dishes, then you can only have 4 out of your 8 with meat.
We found that each of the meat dishes contained little more than a mouthfull of meat. Without a word of a lie, the first mouthfull of chicken was raw & once the attention of the person serving was caught, he simply returned with 4 (properly cooked) bite sized pieces of chicken and said, "try that".
He did not apologise, nor did he even bother to remove the raw chicken.
We carefully tried the rest of the dishes.
There were some good flavours in some dishes. However, most dishes were largely watery and lacking character.
Very disappointing and potentially life threatening.
Avoid this place.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank david a
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Great value, genuine South Indian flavours, helpful staff”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I have been here many times and it has never disappointed. Don't go if you are looking for oily Glasgow curries. This is totally different from the Punjabi food that is served in most Indian restaurants here. Coconut, curry leaf and S Indian spice flavours are common, and you can get idly and dosa as good as you would get in Bangalore. I have occasionally felt let down - eg an Andhra biriani was poor, but the management really want to please and will take things off your bill if something isn't right. The lunch buffet in Pollokshields is only £3.99 and there is plenty to eat, even if there is only one meat dish. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2011
Manchester
“Delivery Service a Farce!!”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I live about 5 minute drive from this restaurant and had meaning to try it for a while, especially since it picked up the award for restaurant of the year at this years Scottish Curry Awards.

Anyways, tried to order through hungryhorse.co.uk first of all, they took the money from my card and then sent me an email saying they didnt deliver to this area and I would get my money refunded in 3 days!

As I had checked out the winner of the restuarant of the year 2010 which was Bukharah and I was suitably impressed I decided to persevere and called the restaurant direct and to my suprise they did deliver so I placed my order, or sorry amended my order as they had ran out of three of our choices and sat back awaiting my award winning curry.

1 hour passed and nothing had came so I gave them a call and was told I gave them the wrong address to which i retorted that I have lived in my flat for five years and knew my own address, anyways he assured me that the driver had left and would be five minutes.

Another hour passed and still nothing, so I called again to be told he would be there in five minutes, I tried to cancel but he assured me that he was defientely coming and the food would be hot.

Twenty minutes past and eventually the allegedy wonderous food appeared, it cost me £24 and they had a cheek to add another £1.50 for a delivery charge! Anyways suprise suprise the food wasnt just luke warm it was stone cold and to top it off they didnt deliver the 4 drinks i had ordered and charged me for, unfortunately I didnt realise there abscence until the driver had left

The food did have potential if it had been fresh and hot but after a five minute zap in the microwave i was left wondering if a £2.99 micro curry from supermarket would have been better and unfortunately more of it went in bin than was consumed

So after being charged twice, not able to order what i wanted, waiting 2.5 hours, not having my full order delivered, and stone cold food, all in all i'd prob say best avoid the place really :(

One word from my partner sums this up: Disgraceful!.

• Visited September 2011