“Such a relaxing morning”

Spa at Blythswood Square
Ranked #4 of 49 Spas & Wellness in Glasgow
aberdeen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Such a relaxing morning”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I bought this as a treat for myself and my boyfriend and it would be difficult to find fault with this 5 * spa. Lots of low and relaxing lighting with lots of rooms to relax in - saunas, steam room, hydro pool etc.
The staff were pleasant and helpful and there is a little cafe which I thought was very expensive.
A great morning

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Aberdeentravelchick

Buckie Scotland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Whats the Point.”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Boring with nothing to see or do. Sit in the square in the summer and eat a sandwich surrounded by boring office workers.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Spa”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Got my mum a spa present and she loved it. The staff are so extremely helpful and the afternoon tea is the best I have had

Sydney
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Blythswood Spa Devine”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Spent an afternoon at the Spa at the Blythswood Hotel. It was absolutely amazing.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Nice city centre spa”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My friend and I bought vouchers for the Spa at a Girls Day Out exhibition which was for an hour's treatment and the 3 hour thermal experience. The Spa is based in the lower levels of the 5-Star Blythswood Square Hotel.

Part of the spa reception area also doubles up as a cafe where you can sit and have a bite or two. The menu is a bit pricey for what they offer but as my friend said if you are going to a spa in a 5-star hotel you expect the food to be expensive. But at £6.50 for just an egg and cress sandwich that comes with salad and crisps...I have to disagree.

The decor like the rest of the hotel is very high end and luxurious. Very low lighting throughout most of the spa. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The Crystal steam room, hydro and vitality pools are very good. There are numerous treatment rooms, each of a very good size and based in a quiet area of the spa.

I had a deep tissue massage which started with a foot bath first. It was supposed to be a 60 minute treatment but with the treatment starting later than our booked time, the foot bath (which lasted about 5 minutes), changing time before the treatment and the compulsory 'rest' period while awaiting the therapist to get a glass of water, the actual treatment only lasted for about 35-40 minutes if even that. And while I felt relaxed after the treatment, it wasn't the usual 'zen' like feeling that I normally get after my usual monthly massage which does last the full 60 minutes.

The spa charges £65 for a 3hr thermal experience but there was no way that I could have expanded my experience for 3 hours. I went around each of the heat rooms twice and multiple times in the Hydro and vitality pools in 2 hours and didn't feel that it was worth trying to extend it to a third hour as I was quite tired by that point.

I have been to two other spas which also have the thermal experience and compared to the other spas, I have to say this has to fall into last place. What let it down are two things. One, the other spas I've been to have a larger number of heat rooms and much larger premises so it doesn't feel so closed in. The second, and most important point against it, is the fact that it is located in the basement level of the hotel which means that there is no natural light or scenic views from windows.

As a city centre venue it's very good as it gives you a nice little escape in the midst of the usual stressful life of city dwellers. As someone seeking a full spa experience it falls a little below par.

Visited February 2012